2 replies to this topic

#1 ChilledMammal

ChilledMammal

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

Posted Image

This is a shot I took of a sand flat at night in about 3.5 mtrs of water amongst some kelp in slightly hazy water. the furthest distance is about 5 meters.

The location was Ricketts Point Reef, Melb, Vic, Australia
Using a these four things:
Pananosic TZ5 compact camera,
Gaffer tape,
500g lead weight, and a
Princetec not very bright light.

There wasn't any post processing done on the image.

I placed the camera in the sand and set it on a 15 second exposure, then I swam out and painted a path. This is my first attempt at this type of exposure photography, I was at OzTek and saw some presentations by Jill Heinerth where she had painted some cave entrances and ponds, which totally blew me away.

I thought it would be a great thing to try and learn about, so this is my first attempt.

I'd love any feedback and/or ways to improve the mage or the engagement in the image.
This is all new stuff to me.

Paul

Edited by ChilledMammal, 26 March 2009 - 12:31 AM.

#2 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

Get a basic tripod, and weigh it down. It helps a lot when composing.

I have used it in available light experiments with very long exposure times, but have yet to try "painting" with that.

#3 ChilledMammal

ChilledMammal

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:11 AM

Get a basic tripod, and weigh it down. It helps a lot when composing.

I have used it in available light experiments with very long exposure times, but have yet to try "painting" with that.

I bought one yesterday, that sounds good I had a lot of trouble with the camera rocking around on the bottom, with the gentle surge, as it sort of ended up with a round bottom because of the taping and lead:>

Thanks

Paul