• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

I just heard from a friend that Sascha from Kararu has been in a motorcycle accident. The news is not good. Does anyone know more?

#2 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Last Saturday we were informed that Sascha died as a result of this accident. Susan and I are still in shock.
We spent quite a bit of time with Sascha and his wife Lisa at DEMA last October.

Our condolences go out to Lisa and their kids.

-Brad
Canon 7D in a Subal housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

We heard the news last week while in Ambon. I didn't want to post without confirmation.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

I heard the same while on the Komodo Dancer last week.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:27 PM

FYI for those who want to make it, Sascha's memorial is on April 11th, this saturday in Tulamben.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 FishTales

FishTales

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Film making, Computers (Mac)

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:30 AM

The Memorial service for Sascha on Voyager at Tulamben April 11 was very well attended. After the service Sascha's ashes were spread in the sea he loved so much. After the ceremony, Voyager departed Tulamben for Padangbai. Additional friends of Sascha boarded Voyager that evening for a big party to celebrate Sascha's life. Loads of people had responded to Berkley White's call for images of Sascha and we were able to put a multimedia presentation up at the party. I've posted it on YouTube for all to share. Due to YouTube's restriction of 10 minutes (program was 10:29), I had to split the small intro section off and post it separately. To see it in order, first watch the "Intro to Remembering Sascha", then the main event: "Remembering Sascha". We were also fortunate to get a video clip that was recorded last summer when Sascha attended a meditation course in Ubud and I have also uploaded it. It's pure Sascha and very poignant considering the circumstances.

The videos are at: http://www.youtube.c...raruDiveVoyages

Please pass it on and I know that Lisa would appreciate any comments you would care to leave.

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

I didn't know Sascha all that well, but I always enjoyed his company (the energy!!). I wish I could have been there at the memorial service.

I've inlined the videos here.

Sascha Speaks at Meditation Course

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#8 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Steve and Berk, you guys did a beautiful job on the slideshow. I'm sure Lisa and the kids will keep that for the rest of their lives. Sascha will be soooo missed.

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Never met Sascha; but clearly from watching the clips, one immediately had to like him. my condolences to his family.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#10 FishTales

FishTales

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Film making, Computers (Mac)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

I've got the HD version of the "Remembering Sascha" multimedia presentation uploaded now too. Took forever since our bandwidth here in bali is quite slow at times and if you get 18 hours into the upload and lose the connection, you get to start all over again :<(

At any rate, it's live as of a few minutes ago.