• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10630 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

That's interesting Steve. Which buttons do you think are similar to the Seatool's buttons? Are you referring to the DSLR or video housings for Seatools? From what I observe, the closest similarity is the DSLR buttons on the Seatools housings which are silver in color. However, the shape is markedly different. I don't know if Aquatica and Seatools, being a continent apart, share the same parts suppliers. In this world of international suppliers, it is possible.
The housing has yet to be released till June, so I think it prudent to see if there are any changes to the final output design. Perhaps Joe can enlighten us on that?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

Not strange, I made no criticism, I just said they appeared just like the buttons from SeaTool that I have heard several concerns about regarding working properly under pressure. That's an observation, not a judgement.

My store handles the majority of all Seatool housing maintenance in the US, and I don't believe we've ever had a housing returned for buttons being activated within the stated depth rating.

Steve, you are right, every pushbutton is pressure sensitive. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to push it.

A first year mechanical engineering student can calculate the spring tension necessary to withstand a stated depth rating. Seatool housings are rated to 65m, and the spring tensions are over rated to prevent actuation at depths shallower than 65m and to make up for quality control variances from the vendor.

Many of these housings are used past 100m, and they are in fact working properly under pressure.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#23 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hi Steve, the design of theses buttons (no rocket science here BTW) has been around Aquatica for a couple of decades, and rating them for different depths is somewhat of an easy task for the average bloke with any background in engineering.

Since we do quite a bit of camera housings for technical divers with depth of 425ft plus, we do tend to pay attention to that particuliar aspect of the controls. at this kind of depth, the dollars per minutes clock is ticking and you sure as hell don't want your user to be fiddling around with compressed buttons.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#24 Andy F.

Andy F.

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hi Steve, the design of theses buttons (no rocket science here BTW) has been around Aquatica for a couple of decades, and rating them for different depths is somewhat of an easy task for the average bloke with any background in engineering.

Since we do quite a bit of camera housings for technical divers with depth of 425ft plus, we do tend to pay attention to that particuliar aspect of the controls. at this kind of depth, the dollars per minutes clock is ticking and you sure as hell don't want your user to be fiddling around with compressed buttons.

Jean,

If the buttons are not the limiting factor of 90 m for this housing, what is? If it is the housing, there is not much to do about it, but if it's the lens, maybe a stronger lens could be fitted. If its the PC lens covering the lcd a thicker lens could be fitted, but the button pins would need to be longer. Please advise.

Thanks,

Andy

#25 Aeiou

Aeiou

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

What lighting systems are compatible with HD Wave housing?

#26 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

What lighting systems are compatible with HD Wave housing?

The housing grips will have 2 x 1/4" x 20 threads, so it will accept TLC 17550 base barcket, (see below) thus allowing lights arms to be attached. Housing will also be equiped with 3 1/4" x 20 tripod screw holes on the bottom to allow for 3rd party battery pack brackets etc...

Posted Image
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#27 V_kids

V_kids

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

hi Vit'art

Could u please tell me, where can I buy this housing in Asia? (For Sony SR 12)
I live in Indonesia.

Thank You
Andree
Nikon D50 & D80 with Sea&Sea Dx-D50 and Dx-D80 User
Nikon D2XS for Top-side use
http://digitalxd1.multiply.com/

#28 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

hi Vit'art

Could u please tell me, where can I buy this housing in Asia? (For Sony SR 12)
I live in Indonesia.

Thank You
Andree

Hello Andree,

Unfortunately the New HD WAVE will not accommodate the Sony SR12, we choose to release it for the replacement Sony models XR-500/520. It's a tuff industry to keep up with...

Cheers

Video-Joe
Aquatica Digital Video Guy

Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#29 V_kids

V_kids

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hello Andree,

Unfortunately the New HD WAVE will not accommodate the Sony SR12, we choose to release it for the replacement Sony models XR-500/520. It's a tuff industry to keep up with...

Cheers

Video-Joe
Aquatica Digital Video Guy

Ohhhhhhh...!! :B): i thought it's for Sony SR 12
hahahhaa anyway, thank you for the answer :D
Nikon D50 & D80 with Sea&Sea Dx-D50 and Dx-D80 User
Nikon D2XS for Top-side use
http://digitalxd1.multiply.com/

#30 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hi Jean,

the new housings look great but I wonder if you designed some sort of sun shade
for the LCD. This wont be an issue in dark and green Canadian waters ;-) but in
the tropics it will.
Best regards

Christian

Photo& Video: Canon 5D MkII - Ikelite housing - Ikelite DS-125 - Ikelite DS-50
Glas Canon 50mm Macro - Canon 100mm Macro - Canon 17-40mm
Video only: Sony HC7 - Topdawg II Housing and Light System - Gorillapod UW-Tripod
My Website with Pictures and HD movies Last update 01-2010

#31 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi Jean,

the new housings look great but I wonder if you designed some sort of sun shade
for the LCD. This wont be an issue in dark and green Canadian waters ;-) but in
the tropics it will.

We have provided 3 fixture points around the LCD to attach a sun shade, which we are working on presently and will be available in late August.
Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10630 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

Great news Joe. :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.