Photo
- - - - -

Convert Ikelite 5d housing to 5d Mark II?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 myesque

myesque

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Does any one know if it is possible to convert a Ikelite 5d housing to 5d Mark II? Let me know if you have any info on this. Thanks!

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I know that the Subal 10D housing can be converted to work with the 5D and also the 5DmkII. But I have not seen anyone report an Ikelite conversion.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

Yes you can. I've done it. I have access to all functions now except the delete button and the backlight for the top lcd. It requires some workshop experience, as you have to drill new holes for push-buttons and I had to turn up a couple of stainless push-buttons as I couldn't get the spares from Ikelite. You also need to make extended push-button tips to compensate for misalignment on five buttons. Plus a few other little bits & pieces. Anyway, I've tested the rig now and no problems to report. You could probably do the whole conversion in a day with access to a well-equipped workshop.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#4 myesque

myesque

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

Yes you can. I've done it. I have access to all functions now except the delete button and the backlight for the top lcd. It requires some workshop experience, as you have to drill new holes for push-buttons and I had to turn up a couple of stainless push-buttons as I couldn't get the spares from Ikelite. You also need to make extended push-button tips to compensate for misalignment on five buttons. Plus a few other little bits & pieces. Anyway, I've tested the rig now and no problems to report. You could probably do the whole conversion in a day with access to a well-equipped workshop.

Wow, this sounds in depth but worth the effort. Did you take any photos of the conversion process? Or could you post images of the final product?

Cheers!

#5 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:46 AM

As I've had a few request now for photos and further details of the conversion, I've added some below. You need access to a workshop with a pillar-drill, or preferably a milling machine and a lathe to make a couple more replica buttons- I made these from stainless steel (I couldn't seem to find replacements on Ikelite's website), you also need the push-button servicing kit from ikelite and replacement control tips. Once you have both the camera and the housing in front of you most of it is common sense (and a bit of good old bodging).

The housing has been tested down to 20m so far with no problems and all the new controls have worked perfectly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#6 SCUBO25

SCUBO25

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:37 AM

Thank you for the pictures Fergus! :)

I like the simple extension modification for the menu buttons.

I got extra Stainless Ikelite control buttons by buying an old discontinued Ikelite PS housing cheap on eBay for just spare parts use. Ended up with 9 push controls and spare shaft glands for about $60, which are fully matching with other controls on my SLR housing and are fully servicable. Worth looking out for if a SLR modification requires additional parts you can not get from Ikelite. I'm curious if my old 10D Ike housing can be up-graded with some of your suggested modifications, when I have the $ to buy that 5DII :) .

As I've had a few request now for photos and further details of the conversion, I've added some below. You need access to a workshop with a pillar-drill, or preferably a milling machine and a lathe to make a couple more replica buttons- I made these from stainless steel (I couldn't seem to find replacements on Ikelite's website), you also need the push-button servicing kit from ikelite and replacement control tips. Once you have both the camera and the housing in front of you most of it is common sense (and a bit of good old bodging).

The housing has been tested down to 20m so far with no problems and all the new controls have worked perfectly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 GoinDown

GoinDown

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:04 AM

Thank you for the pictures Fergus! :)

I like the simple extension modification for the menu buttons.

I got extra Stainless Ikelite control buttons by buying an old discontinued Ikelite PS housing cheap on eBay for just spare parts use. Ended up with 9 push controls and spare shaft glands for about $60, which are fully matching with other controls on my SLR housing and are fully servicable. Worth looking out for if a SLR modification requires additional parts you can not get from Ikelite. I'm curious if my old 10D Ike housing can be up-graded with some of your suggested modifications, when I have the $ to buy that 5DII :) .

I've looked at my 20D Ike housing and tried a 5D2 inside. The camera and housing viewfinders and camera tray mount bolt don't line up in addition to button mis-alignment, so there would be some alteration needed to the tray mount to get a good positioning, in this case you need to make sure that the camera is aligned with the porthole so that problems aren't caused with lenses in the ports etc. Makes me think that this mod would be too much trouble! I'm not sure about the 10D Ike housing, but I guess it will have similar dimensions to the 20D. It might be worth a trip to your local camera shop to test with a 5D2 body.
Now: Canon 5D Mk2, 15mm FE, 16-35 Mk2 (+2 Diopter), 100mm IS, Subal, FE2 Dome, 75 ext, 100mm Flat Port. DS-125's, DS-160.

Previous: Canon 20D, Ikelite, DS-125's

Gallery: Coming soon

#8 GoinDown

GoinDown

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:10 AM

If you are after the video features, it could be worth waiting until the as yet unannounced Canon 60D is released and see if the xxD line of Ike housings can be modified!
Now: Canon 5D Mk2, 15mm FE, 16-35 Mk2 (+2 Diopter), 100mm IS, Subal, FE2 Dome, 75 ext, 100mm Flat Port. DS-125's, DS-160.

Previous: Canon 20D, Ikelite, DS-125's

Gallery: Coming soon

#9 ShadowDiver

ShadowDiver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

just curious, is the TTL circuitry different between the 5d and the 5d2? i'm thinking most folks don't care about TTL, but my guess is the electronics are different. nice craftsmanship with the mod. it would take me weeks just to repeatedly measure before doing any drilling. :)