• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:59 AM

Julie and I just returned from 45 days in Indonesia with fellow wetpixel admins Eric, Matt and Craig and many other photo and videographers. I've put a tripreport online showing our day to day progress. I'll put a gallery with images online later, but no need to wait for that, as Craig has put up an excellent set of images already!

This was by far the best trip I've ever done, not in the least due to the very nice company. Everyone fit well together, on both trips. And I'd especially like to thank Graham Abbott for being a really great and amazingly patient dive guide. How he managed to stay upbeat with all of us 'all we saw was 9 frog fish' is beyond me. Almost every day he staked out the dive sites trying to find us the best spots which we probably didn't thank him enough for. I hope to dive with him and all of the other people very soon again.

For a visual view of the area we covered you can view this Google Earth KMZ file. Thanks to Matt and Alexis for providing the raw GPS tracks. The track does not show that we also did 5 days in Lembeh, which was the first time any of us visited that area.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#2 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the excellent trip report and taking the time to put it together. It was a most enjoyable read and I found myself saying to myself "Now that's a destination I must visit!" several times while reading the report. Congrats on seeing various critters for the very first time, that really adds to the excitement. Sorry to hear about the compressor dying not once but twice and being limited to diving on air instead of nitrox. But it sounds like the rest of your experiences more than made up for it.

The gallery of images was spectacular. When I saw some of the images of the sea snake, especially the close up of the snake's face, I found myself thinking that the photographer was extremely brave!

Ellen

Edited by ornate_wrasse, 12 April 2009 - 06:07 PM.

D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Cor. Great report.
I'm definitely jealous of you guys being able to just dive for 40 days.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Really fun trip report to read, Cor. I can't wait to see your and Julie's gallery. Craig's photos were fabulous, as usual. Such a productive place to go...

Linda

#5 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Very interesting trip report, enjoyed reading it very much & beautiful photos too! The blue-ring octopus is stunning! Thanks for introducing the different places & dive sites. This is really an Ultimate trip. :)
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8390 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:05 PM

Excellent report Cor. Looking forward to seeing your and Julie's photos.

Did you have a line crossing ceremony?

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Cor,
Great report; so nice to see Clown Valley (Alor) still living up to my fond memories. I dove it in 1999, long before luxury liveaboards travelled there; I opted to dive there while the rest on board went to the current crazy and pelagic site...when we surfaced, the children at the school nearby were on recess, and applauded us. One of those "best dives" on my list. Must go back....
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#8 ljk50

ljk50

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Very nice report. Very useful for planning what I hope is a trip to Indonesia this winter.