Favourite Dive Magazines?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:34 AM

So what mags do you guys like reading? Are there any ones with more of a focus on photography? I'm thinking about subscribing but am a bit confused by the shear amount of choices coupled with not having read many hehe. From what I've seen so far DIVE magazine (UK) seems pretty good.

Also are there any "must read" UW photography books? Technique, ID, photo showcase or otherwise.

#2 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:58 AM

Hi Hani,

Clearly, the best photographically oriented underwater mag is Wetpixel Quarterly :good:

I also recently saw the photo edition of AustralAsia Scuba Diver - awesome!

As for technique, Martin Edge's "The Underwater Photographer" 3rd ed. is a must.

Happy reading!

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#3 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

Dive Chronicles? I understand they have some cool contests and their manager is a really neato guy...at least that's what NetDock over on SB says. <snicker>

Seriously though, WP Quarterly is the only one I subscribe to, but I don't really consider it a "dive magazine" so much as a (themed) art/photography magazine. Sure it has articles, some of which have been quite good, but unlike the usual male excuse for Playboy, I don't subscribe to it for the articles. :good:

I've posted elsewhere that IMO Scuba Diving is 95% fluff - new shiny gear advertising tie-ins and Top 10 Places you MUST dive Today! ™ gushing travelogues, with an awful lot of rapid-recycling (the same PR article becomes a 2-page "10 best dives" insert within 3 months, for example). The new format is pretty though.

Used to occasionally read Dive Training - at least it tried to be more substantive although it was aimed at a newer audience (and their instructors). But in reading an article that actually had to have a picture to point out "the foot pocket stiffeners should be removed before fin use," I kind of realized they'd gone downhill too.

Get DAN's Alert Diver courtesy of insurance membership. It's almost always worth flipping through for 10-15 minutes at least, but I'd have to say I don't 'eagerly await' its arrival.

Not that I'm trying to pick on dive literature specifically. I think all print media has gone the same route. Journalistic standards in papers, Newsweek/Time, etc. are being eroded by the new morality of editorializing vs. fact reporting. Internet news outlets are all regurgitating the same AP / Reuters tagline stories, or cannibalizing one another for 'new product' scoops by linking and re-linking cut-and-pastes of press releases (try ANY 'tech/science' site like Engadget, ArsTechnica, DailyTech, etc and you'll see the same things over and over within about a 24 hour window). The attention spans of the viewers they're pursuing and general literacy levels for which they are produced are continually dropping.

And even though I'm a voracious 2-full-length-novels/week reader, maybe I'm still in that same category: after all, I did say above the only dive mag I really like is all about the pretty pictures.

Edited by rtrski, 14 April 2009 - 06:27 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

I work for DIVER Magazine in the UK. We obviously like to think it's the best. Before committing yourself to subscribing though, you can see the (almost) entire content of back issues free on-line by going to www.divernet.com

Edited by John Bantin, 16 April 2009 - 11:42 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I'd second AustralAsia Scuba diver, I like very much Asian Diver too, their photo editing is top choice. I've read somewhere they are in the process of consolidating .

Australia's Sport Diving Magazine is pretty good too divingwise, although it might not be the most interesting on pure photography it is very much in line with Asian Diver in terms of subjects, I reckon.

Web based mags are a very interesting alternative, of course uwpmag.com with illustrious wetpixel members comes in first place, FINsonline.com from singapore is also great, for french readers I would recommend chercheursdeau.com

That was my personal choice...
Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#6 Draq

Draq

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

I tried to subscribe to Dive Chronicles. They took my information and credit card details and said I would receive the current issue in about 2 weeks, but no magazine ever came. About a month later I called and they said they had charged my card and couldn't tell me why I wasn't getting a magazine. I was told someone the person I needed to speak to wasn't available and he or she would call me, but they never did. I emailed them a few weeks later, but got no response. After another couple of weeks I sent an email saying I was going to contest the charge on my card and let people know how bad they were, I got an email from the owner, Brad. He said that contrary to what I had been previously told, they hadn't charged my credit card and asked what my address was. I am not sure how he knew they hadn't charged me since he didn't know my address. I promptly replied and was so shocked by the prompt reply and the owner's promise that he would look into this that I apologized for my harsh tone. That was two weeks ago and Dive Chronicles is missing in action again. I sent another email 2 days ago but I don't care anymore and don't even want the subscription now. I am trying to go through my charge card bills now to see if I was charged or not. It's probably too late to contest the charge if it was made. Thankfully, not much money was involved.

Avoid them, they either are not an ethical business or are very poorly run. I don't think they even deserve their B- rating with the Better Business Bureau. Thankfully, its not like I advertised with them or entered a contest or something.

#7 kitty

kitty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

I only read two consistently:

1) a new pretty paper one which is a "Fathoms replacement"..... Diving Adventure magazine http://www.divingadventuremag.com/

2) Underwater Journal online http://www.underwaterjournal.com/

I would like to get some non-U.S. magazines, but the postage rates to the U.S. makes them too expensive.

For books, I recommend Jack & Sue Drafahl, Stephen Frink and Cathy Church. All have excellent books, great photos, and are inspiring.

#8 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

A friend at work gave me his wetpixel quarterly since he's leaving back to the US; and HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF IS AMAZING :)

#9 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Books:
Successful Underwater Photography by Brian Skerry & Howard Hall.
The Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge

Aside from National Geographic & Alert Diver, I don't get any magazines. Way back I used to get SkinDiver and marvel at their glorious equipment reviews. To give them credit, the step-by-step articles by Nikon are what made me decide on buying a Nikonos.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#10 Rainer

Rainer

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

I'm still looking for a consistently good dive mag. Love seeing suggestions, though.

#11 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

I work for DIVER Magazine in the UK. We obviously like to think it's the best. Before committing yourself to subscribing though, you can see the (almost) entire content of back issues free on-line by going to www.divernet.com

How the hell do you subscribe if you don't live in Britain? All the "add to cart" buttons don't appear to work at least on my Mac.
thanks
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#12 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:47 AM

At least there is no subscription required for the Underwater Journal.