4 replies to this topic

#1 pieterrutten

pieterrutten

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

Hi!

I keep having a problem with my Ikelite strobe bulkhead.
The screw on the inside of the housing keeps getting loose.
I have to tighten it every 3-4 dives...

Solution anybody?

Have been thinking about loctite but I don't dare to use it, because I don't
know how the o-ring wich seals the bulkhead will react on it...
2x D70s | Ikelite housing | 2x Ikelite DS125
Nikon 60mm | Nikon 105mm VR + canon 500D | Nikon 10.5 FE | Nikon 70-200 VR
Ikelite 8" superdome | custombuild 60 mm macroport | Ikelite modular flatport with focus

#2 Parso

Parso

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:17 AM

All I can suggest is contacting Ikelites service department and hopefully getting a solution off them. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on
Cheers
Parso

#3 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

Loctite should not affect your O ring in a negative way. As long as the O ring integrity is still good, ie you haven t covered the o ring in loctite. Obviously you want to be careful applying chemical to your O ring, WD40 for instance will deform your o ring rendering them useless. However as long as no physical contact is made you should be fine.

Regards Erol
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

I'm continually amazed at the amount of requests for help through this forum, by people who have not given the manufacturers the courtesy
of a phone call or email. . . . :(
I think that this simple problem has the opportunity to escalate into a full flood. What would your response to that be. . . . :P
Ikelite is continually reputed to have the best after sales service/repairs department, yet people continue to bi-pass them. . . . :D
You may find yourself listing a complaint against them with your next posting because you voided your warranty by opening the strobe and
using a foreign product (loctite) within. . . . :D
At least try the service department before any home 'tinkering'. It might be that the boys from Ike suggest a drop of loctite. . . .

Bruce...

#5 bmemike

bmemike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

I'm continually amazed at the amount of requests for help through this forum, by people who have not given the manufacturers the courtesy
of a phone call or email. . . .

While prepping for a trip I managed to "bind" the locking mechanism on one of my DS-125 battery packs. I figured I could free it up with a bit of leverage from a screwdriver but didn't want to fubar the latch a week before the trip.

I placed a quick call to Ike, they grabbed a battery to make sure they knew exactly what I meant by my description and told me exactly how to free it up (in this case, adding a bit of leverage from a screwdriver :() -- but they were more than happy to spend 10-15 minutes on the phone with me while we worked through it and got everything squared.

Saved me from possibly snapping the latching mechanism and being in a tight spot before a trip.

Definitely a friendly and helpful lot -- and they clearly know their gear. Make the call! :P

-M