Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

DS51 and the G9.....


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 divebutt

divebutt

    Sea Nettle

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aurora, Ontario
  • Interests:Diving, Diving and Diving.

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

So....

Picked up a DS51 for my G9 in an Ikelite housing and am trying to make it work.

I set the strobe on TTL and sometimes that little red arrow shows up on the screen and the strobe is controlled by the camera. Sometimes, it just triggers full power.

Any advice?

#2 rtrski

rtrski

    Great White

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas, USA
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

Loose or intermittent hotshoe connection inside the housing is the likeliest culprit I can think of.

Edited by rtrski, 19 April 2009 - 07:01 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

 

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...


#3 Bent C

Bent C

    Manta Ray

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sweden

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

Loose or intermittent hotshoe connection inside the housing is the likeliest culprit I can think of.


That would be very likely. I have had the same problems with my 5D housing. I solved it by cutting a piece of eraser to exactly fit in between the hotshoe and the back of the housing. When the eraser was wedged in there, the hot shoe connector couldnīt move, and I never had that problem again. For my housing there was very little space between the hot shoe and the top of the housing, so when I slid the camera into the housing, the hot shoe often was pushed a little bit backwards, leading to bad connection.

/Bent C

Edited by Bent C, 19 April 2009 - 08:03 AM.

Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#4 Tim Digger

Tim Digger

    Lionfish

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midland UK
  • Interests:Hyperbaric Medicine Dive Photography Walking and Climbing

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

[Ever flooded the housing. I did of my D70 housing,the strobe bulkhead still worked but over 3 years gradual corosion started to produce some strange stobe triggering including those you mention. Currently being rebuilt by Ikelite now.
Tim Digger
Upgraded from D70s to Nikon D300s Dec2010. Lenses Sigma 17-70mm macro (non HSM) and 105mm macro. Tokina 10-17mm
Ikelite housing and DS125 and TTL converted DS50.