Help! I'm going blind

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Nick,

Presbyopia is the form of long sight that develops with age (sorry mate). It means your arms aren't long enough!!! At 64 years of age I have had this since I was 40, and it gradually progresses. As others have said any surgery for this will not be permanent. "D" lenses in your mask really will work well, with good distance vision keep the upper part of your mask with plain glass. When I got my housing with a rear monitor I found I had to update my mask "D"s as my prescription had changed over the ten years since I had had that mask. Now all is in focus again :lol: You will soon get the hang of looking through the upper mask for distance and switching to the "D"s for close up viewing of your monitor and gauges etc.

My wife has a contact lens she uses in one eye and uses this for her near vision and the other eye she uses for distance. I gather the girls are better at this than us blokes :D

Cheers

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#22 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:18 AM

While Hyperopia (far sightedness) and Presbyopia may be characterized the same way, the actual condition is quite different. Hyperopia can be reduced through refractive surgery whereas Presbyopia cannot, not withstanding Jeremy's reference to an ongoing FDA approval process.

Even if such a procedure were to be approved in a timely manner (not easy to predict with the FDA), the procedure will be new, costly and done by a limited number of surgeons. The other factor in any new procedure is the long term results, which can't be known from the clinical trial for quite some time. Also not known is what are the necessary pre-conditions for being a candidate for the procedure.

Lens replacement will correct the problem, but this procedure is well beyond current Lasik procedures in terms of difficulty, cost and possible negative outcomes. It is without a doubt the best option for those who develop cataracts or other conditions which damage the lens itself. Despite the universal success rates of LASIK, there are still some risks in the procedure. RLE entails even more risk.

The OP has Presbyopia, a condition that gets worse over time. He has normal vision otherwise. The course of action I would recommend is fairly simple. Add a stick-on diopter to his mask. It is then important to determine what setup works best, so you need to dive with it to determine 1) whether you prefer one or two and 2) how large an area you want the diopter to cover. The plastic stick-on type can be trimmed.

Once you have determined what works best, the next option is whether to get a prescription mask with the diopter built in. If you need additional correction, I would normally recommend it, but if all you need is the diopter, I would just go with the stick-ons unless there is compelling reason to make a change. All of this is a personal choice.

You will also find you don't need quite the corrective power underwater as above, so go with the lower power correction to start.

RE: contact lenses. Prior to LASKIK surgery, I dived with contact lenses. As presbyopia reared its ugly head, I switched to bi-focal contacts. I found it a bit of a compromise. Neither distance nor close-up vision was perfectly sharp, yet I could function well with them. Granted, neither my myopia or presbyopia were severe. Oddly, the same exact specification from one manufacturer significantly outperformed another manufacturer.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#23 wolfeeldiver

wolfeeldiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Finally getting into creating underwater videos after 30 yrs of shooting stills. Now were having fun!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Distance vision is good

So.. your distance vision is good, but cant focus on the monitor. Sounds like old age creeping up on you?

It has creeped up on me, and I the last year or so, I could no longer read my housing monitor, the lens on my Nikonos, nor my gages.
To remedy this I had installed into my mask some "executive readers" at the bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the mask. I works great for video. Now I can read my gages, and monitor, etc.. I had my lenss installed by a place in San Diego California at http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/
Check out the executive readers type. I had I think my lenses were only +.25 or so. I went to the eye doctor, and had him help me figure out the required strength.

#24 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

In the same boat. I need reading glasses at the mo but only +1.25

I find the eyepiece, probably the tool of my undoing, is still fine as I can set that to focus for my vision, the monitor is still hi rez and not HD so better to use eyepiece IMHO.

Place the monitor as far forward on your housing as I have done on my Gates, seems to work better.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#25 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

The Trident Dive Optx lens inserts look worth a try first.

Some (mostly positive) positive reviews here.

Anyone any experience of these? Anyone used a different brand of "D" inserts?

#26 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

Dive Optx is pretty much the standard. Follow instructions carefully to avoid having them/it fall out. Also, you can trim them to suit your needs. Hopefully this will be the solution you need. If not, you haven't spent too much money and you then know what you really need.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#27 ScubaSpen

ScubaSpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spending more than 500 hrs a year underwater gawking at marine life and taking the odd picture.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

LOL, I knew you should have got your eyes checked when you shot that footage of a barracuda school and didn't even notice the whale shark in the background.

On the flip side. Mr Howard Marx (Mr. Nice) notorious weed smuggler said in his book that he also had trouble focusing after a few. So he got really wasted and then went to the optician and got checked out so now has a perfectly adjusted pairs of bins/monitor/lens. :)

But Nick I know you for so many years and it's just an excuse to go chat up the Top Charoen Optical girls in their white uniform.

Spen

#28 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

Anyone any experience of these? Anyone used a different brand of "D" inserts?

They seem to suit some people but not others - I've seen some divers who have found them useful and others who curse them, lose them and give up on them.

I have the same problem and have simply replaced one mask lens with a +2 which works fine for me - but you need a mask which has removable lenses and for which you can get diopter lenses - I use this one:

http://www.typhoon-i...g/detail/id=254

and find it fine but you may need to experiment a bit to ensure that your long distance (underwater long distance that is) vision isn't curtailed.

My father-in-law was an opthalmic surgeon and worries about the long term effectiveness and consequences of laser treatment. Not wishing to add controversy, but another friend (also a retired opthalmic surgeon) worked on the negative effects of some other procedures (the results of which were not good) and personally laser treatment is not something that I personally would undertake - I'd rather use external optical aids any day than have my eyes messed with.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#29 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

I've been using the same prescription dive mask services mentioned and recommended prior to this post. I am very happy with them and with their excellent service.
Fortunately, I am in San Diego so driving over there is not a problem.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#30 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

A buddy of mine made a housing for a 7" auto LCD monitor with wet connections and turned it into an external screen for his rig. Works fantastically! That would help considerably. :)

#31 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

Is that one of the famous Walter Marti monitors? Ive had a couple of my customers add those to L&M and Gates housings.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#32 CompuDude

CompuDude

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:29 AM

Is that one of the famous Walter Marti monitors? Ive had a couple of my customers add those to L&M and Gates housings.

You betcha. :)

Now if only I could figure out how to add one to my still camera... LOL

#33 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Any pics of that monitor or links to find out more about it? I'm guessing it's a PSP display inside?

#34 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

So I finally visited the Scubapro/Mares/Aqualung distributors in Phuket and got myself a Technisub Look 2 mask with +1.0-Left/+1.5-Right bifocal lenses. The upper part of the lenses is plain glass. It's not the most comfortable or best fitting mask I've ever had but the lenses work well and should be better than stick-on ones. This was actually the only mask I could find that has + lenses. The Look 1 was a better fit but no + available. There are far more - lenses available. It takes some getting used to, particularly stepping off the dive platform as it's easy to misjudge where it is since you have 2 views of it! At some point I will entertain the crew with a comedy face-plant, I'm very sure.

I'd probably be happier with a full + lens as opposed to bifocals but it seems those aren't readily available off the shelf. I might look into custom-made lenses in the future. Anyway I can see if my shots are in focus now :lol:

Edited by Nick Hope, 13 February 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#35 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

Anyway I can see if my shots are in focus now :)

Cool!!! you might actually start getting work now :lol:

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#36 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Dive Optx is pretty much the standard. Follow instructions carefully to avoid having them/it fall out. Also, you can trim them to suit your needs. Hopefully this will be the solution you need. If not, you haven't spent too much money and you then know what you really need.

I just bought a couple pair of these:

http://optx2020.com/...pair-offer.aspx

For $26 for two pair, I figured that I couldn't go too far wrong. I have not dived with them yet, but will be leaving for Roatan on Saturday. If I don't like them, they will be easy to remove. I did follow the instructions, especially about getting the mask lens squeaky clean, then washing several times with soap to degrease, so I am hopeful that they will stay stuck on. Time will tell.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#37 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, Photographry Underwater Video.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

So I finally visited the Scubapro/Mares/Aqualung distributors in Phuket and got myself a Technisub Look 2 mask with +1.0-Left/+1.5-Right bifocal lenses. The upper part of the lenses is plain glass. It's not the most comfortable or best fitting mask I've ever had but the lenses work well and should be better than stick-on ones. This was actually the only mask I could find that has + lenses. The Look 1 was a better fit but no + available. There are far more - lenses available. It takes some getting used to, particularly stepping off the dive platform as it's easy to misjudge where it is since you have 2 views of it! At some point I will entertain the crew with a comedy face-plant, I'm very sure.

I'd probably be happier with a full + lens as opposed to bifocals but it seems those aren't readily available off the shelf. I might look into custom-made lenses in the future. Anyway I can see if my shots are in focus now :lol:

Hi Nick,

I'd be interested to hear how this Technisub mask works out for you.

(BTW, I don't think that a full + lens would not work. Everything beyond about 1 meter would be very blurry)

In my mid-50s, I also have the same problem. The monitor on my housing and my dive computer are getting increasingly hard to read. I can read the numbers but I need some magnification to adjust for critical focus on macro shots.

Plan A: I ordered a Mares X-Vision mask with the +2.0 bifocal lens option. Trying it for the first time on Saturday, I had a couple of problems. The bifocal lens on the Mares sits a bit too high up in the mask. So I spent the whole dive trying to peer over the bifocal part, tipping my neck down at an uncomfortable angle. Secondly, despite cleaning with toothpaste, then trying spit, defog and shampoo, the mask fogs horribly. Never had this problem with a mask before. The fogging seemed to start along the edge of the raised bifocal section so I'm wondering if that is an inherent problem with these Mares bifocal masks. The bifocal glass is raised a couple of millimetres above the flat lens so they are very prominent. In any case, I discovered that, for reading the monitor, I only need the magnification in one eye.

Plan B: My next plan is to go back to my good old ScubaPro Mask and add some Trident DiveOptx inserts. I'll just put it into one side of the mask as low down as it will go. That might keep it out of the way except when I want to assess critical focus.

Plan C: Talking to David Cheong at ScubaCam about rigging a flip-up magnifying glass over the monitor...

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Peter

#38 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

(BTW, I don't think that a full + lens would not work. Everything beyond about 1 meter would be very blurry)

Actually I could tip my head back and look at everything through the magnified parts and it was all in focus, just like with my topside reading glasses. So, at least up to +1.5, I can tell you it's not a problem. I'm wondering if someone can manufacture full + lenses for a diving mask???

The bifocal lens on the Mares sits a bit too high up in the mask.

I found it more or less spot on with the Technisub. I could have done with the bifocal parts being very slightly shorter, but that's cuz of the low position of my LCD monitor inside the Bluefin housing. With a heads-up monitor they'd probably be perfect.

Secondly, despite cleaning with toothpaste, then trying spit, defog and shampoo, the mask fogs horribly.

After you've done the toothpaste, leave the mask face-down with Coca Cola in it overnight. If you still get fogging after that, you can try burning any remnants of oil off it with a lighter. The silicone is quite resistant to the heat so it's not as crazy as it sounds and it does work. Actually I completely forgot about any of that treatment with my Technisub and just dived with it and didn't get any fogging whatsoever. I thought perhaps the special grinding of the glass to create the magnified parts had done all that for me.

Let us know how you get on.

Not planning to dive again for a good long time but I can tell you that the main problem was simply the fit. It didn't fit as well as the original Technisub Look mask. Some dives it was OK. Other dives I was having to clear it more than with my regular mask. I will still use it though.

Edited by Nick Hope, 26 February 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#39 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:55 AM

I'm wondering if someone can manufacture full + lenses for a diving mask???

Try one of the custom-made masks from http://www.seavisionusa.com/

If they don't have the option in their menu, you could dialog with them.

After you've done the toothpaste, leave the mask face-down with Coca Cola in it overnight.

Amazing stuff, Coke. Wonder what it does to the stomach...

But, I'm not going to bother with this Mares because the positioning of the bifocal lens is wrong. The hard line of the top of the bifocal cuts right across my normal vision - very annoying. That's the problem with not trying before buying...

Regards
Peter

#40 peterbkk

peterbkk

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've just finished a bunch of experiments with various "video monitor / ageing eyesight" options.

Background: For years I have put up with "adequate" mid to long distance vision underwater (I'm a little short-sighted with a little astigmatism) because a normal dive mask gave me excellent close-up vision of my camera monitor. But, in my mid-fifties, my ageing eyes are now struggling to assess critical sharpness on the monitor. Could I find a mask that (a) helped make the video monitor sharper and (b) maybe helps with my longer-distance vision (no more guessing which dive boat to head towards).

The Options
  • DiveOptx stick-on +1.75 magnifiers (tried on both a Mares X-Vision mask and a ScubaPro frameless mask)
  • Mares Bifocal +3 magnifiers replacement lens for X-Vision mask (both eyes)
  • Mares Bifocal +3 magnifiers replacement lens for X-Vision mask (one eye)
  • Sea Vision Classic Mask with both lens tailored for my eye sight incorporating Bifocal +3 magnifiers (both eyes)
  • Sea Vision Classic Mask with both lens tailored for my eye sight incorporating a Bifocal +3 magnifier (one eye)

I tested them in a swimming pool with my video camera. The tests were:

• Long distance vision underwater (objects sharp 20 meters down the pool)
  • Long distance vision above water (can i read the clock at the end of the pool)
  • Close-up vision (can I read the video camera monitor at normal distance and can I read my watch face)
  • Comfortable head position for both long distance and short distance viewing
  • Comfortable fit, no leaks (most masks fit me)
  • Propensity to fog

Quick Summary:

DiveOptx: OK but not very sharp. Hard to get them to stick. Easy to lose when rinsing mask. Hard to get right positioning. Worked best in the Mares X-Vision because there is more room to position the stick-on lens. Result: Rejected
Mares Bifocal: Bifocal section too large with a very defined edge. Interferes with normal vision. Not aligned with eye pupils - much too wide apart. Can only see close-up through one side or the other. Might as well only fit one. Works better with one bifocal and one normal but still would take some getting used to. Best close-up - can focus as close as 10cm. Found myself constantly moving my head in 2 dimensions to find the right eyesight position. Fogging problem even after several washes and all the usual tricks - fogging starts at the raised edge of the bifocal part. Result: Rejected for now but maybe a back-up for the best option.
SeaVision: Great for normal vision above and below water. Bifocal unobtrusive and aligned with pupil. Only negative is the optimal sharpness through the bifocal section is from 40-80cm from eye - gets blurry up very close. Very comfortable head position for both distance and close. Bifocal aligns naturally for viewing monitor with both eyes. The SeaVision with "bifocal in both eyes" is by far the best, giving sharpest monitor viewing with a comfortable head position. Low volume black mask. Result: Best Option - Continue testing by using for 20 dives on the next trip.
(An extra plus is that the defog that comes with the SeaVision mask is a wonder. I've been a spitter for years but this stuff works like magic, reducing droplets of water on the inside of the mask for clear vision.)

Regards
Peter