• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

I got an email on my flickr site from David and lucille P ackard foundation.They are doing a story on Birdshead seascape raja ampat, and want to purchase one of my photos. I dont know if this is bogus or not. If not any suggestions or advice

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

First reaction is that they actually bothered to contact you vs just 'stole' it, as happens so often from hosting sites like Flickr (assuming you had a large enough resolution to be useful posted there). I'd pursue it and see if it is for real!

Beyond that I have no advice as to pricing etc but search around and there were several good (at least one stickied) threads on image pricing and rights and the like, to use as a reference.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:35 AM

I got an email on my flickr site from David and lucille P ackard foundation.They are doing a story on Birdshead seascape raja ampat, and want to purchase one of my photos. I dont know if this is bogus or not. If not any suggestions or advice

That's a totally legit foundation that does a lot of good "environmental" work.

As long as you are sure it is actually them - and that should be as easy as calling them up yourself - I'd say go for it.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#4 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

If it's for real - easily verified - that's awesome! Congrats Victor!

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#5 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'll probably donate it , but whats a photo in this situation worth?

Edited by vazuw, 24 April 2009 - 08:57 AM.

#6 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Drew wrote a good piece on image pricing, you can find the post here. I used this yesterday as a rough pricing guide.

Thanks to Drew who wrote it.

Good luck with selling your image

Karen
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#7 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Don't give it away...think first about what your camera, housing and strobe cost...

If you would like an honest quote from me after decades in the business, sent me the details via
private Wetpixel email...

credit lines will not put food on your table, nor pay for your equipment...

and then, please read this article and consider:

http://rising.blacks...st-of-free.html

Best,

Tom Stack

#8 kitty

kitty

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Tom, thanks for posting that article, it really puts the issue into greater perspective.

#9 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Tom I sent you a note

#10 TomStack

TomStack

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

Got it! Thank you. Please keep us posted on how this turns out.

Kathy, thank you!

Best,

Tom

#11 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

Another option if you are not personally concerned about the income yourself is to request that any payment be made to a charity or cause of your choice. I did that recently with a Galapagos Tortoise pic that was requested for a Galapagos Exhibition poster in Colorado. They were of course happy to make the donation to the Darwin Research Center on my behalf.

Edited by loftus, 28 April 2009 - 04:51 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.