21 replies to this topic

#1 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

Anyone dive with a beard?

I recently grew a beard again ... any tips for putting on the mask? Will I need a new one? Chapstick?

Don't want to shave it off and I have a dive trip coming up in June ...

Thanks!
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

... any tips for putting on the mask?

Grasp the big stretchy part and place it carefully on the back of your head. Watch out if you have big ears. Slowly position the large glass part over you face. Try not to let it snap into place, serious injury can result. The clear portion of the assembly should be in front of your eyes. If you can't see your hand in front of your face remove and try again.

Sorry couln't resist. :D Seriously partner it shouldn't be a problem. It does help to shave a tiny area under your nose to give the mask a place to seal. Depends on the mask. Be careful with the razor you could end up looking like some dude in a Jimmy Buffet song.

Good luck!
Steve

Edited by Steve Williams, 24 April 2009 - 12:17 PM.

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

I've dove witha moustache for years and don't shave the top. I probably clear my mask more than normal, but don't notice it.

You may want to weave some small fishing weights into the lower part to keep it from floating up in your face :D
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#4 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Sorry couln't resist. :lol: Good luck!

Someday, we'll get to do the comedy routine in person ... can't wait!

I'm at this all day meeting today ... and everyone thinks I'm taking real good notes ...

:D
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#5 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

silicone grease can help .. but is hard to wash out .. vasoline just dissipates too quickly.

a good mask may work without anything .. if you exhale out your nose .. it will naturally clear as it slowly leaks.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#6 expatdiver

expatdiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Golf, Darts, Brewing

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Like Steve said it depends on your mask. I've had some that were worse then others. I normally shave a small area just under my nose during trips and that seems to do the trick.
Nikon D70s w/Ikelite Housing, Dual DS-125 Strobes, 10.5 & 105
expatdiver's Photo Galleries

#7 bmemike

bmemike

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

I just clear my mask a lot :D

That's all... never fussed with any remedies. I just know that water will eventually seep a bit and I'll just have to look up and blow some of the water out.

Never really had an issue with it -- though I definitely clear my mask more than most people... but I don't see that as being "a problem" per se.

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

Someday, we'll get to do the comedy routine in person ... can't wait!

I'm at this all day meeting today ... and everyone thinks I'm taking real good notes ...

Couple of things:

1.) I have had a beard and goatee in the past, usually not a problem.

2.) You are taking notes, real good notes, but they have nothing to do with the meeting.

3.) On the comedy routine, who gets top billing? Have you and Steve worked this out?

#9 kornse

kornse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Taking Pictures above and under water.<br />I also spearfish i Dk and Norway.<br />And i am very intersted in life under water.<br /><br />Electrician by proffesion.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:33 PM

I use the aqua Sphere mask. http://www.aquaspher...ucts/sphera.php Itīs a great mask if you can get use too the the glass i bend. But it seals pretty tight.

Mads

#10 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have a small tube of vaseline I take with me diving. I keep it in the dive mask case with the anti-fog bottle and mask so its always with the mask. I grease up the mustache just before each dive and have no trouble at all. Often, other divers with mustache's borrow it and like it as well.

I clear off the vaseline after the dive with a towel, then use soap and water when available.
I put new vaseline on for each dive if doing a multi-dive boat trip.

This advice came from my first instructor, who also had a mustache.
Its always worked for me with no leaks.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#11 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Couple of things:

Looks like 3 ... but I haven't been good at math in years ... excel ruined me. :lol:

3.) On the comedy routine, who gets top billing? Have you and Steve worked this out?

I'm definitely the second banana.

Jeremy Payne
My Website

#12 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

I've been diving for nearly 30 years and had a beard for all of it. I've never used anything or any or done any trimming to get a good seal and never had any problems as long as I have a mask with a very good fit.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#13 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I've been diving for nearly 30 years and had a beard for all of it. I've never used anything or any or done any trimming to get a good seal and never had any problems as long as I have a mask with a very good fit.

Be interesting to see if a good fit without the beard is a good fit with the beard ... I'm gonna go try it out in the pool as soon as I can.

I'm glad to hear people manage to do this without gooping up.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#14 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

Jeremy: maybe the Mares liquidskin skirted masks might offer a bit better seal as they're a bit more flexible? That said, I've worn a beard (van dyke) but since mine is usually trimmed pretty short it's kind of 'bristly' vs. laying flat - and I've never gotten a satisfactory seal with it. I don't like the vaseline trick since I've usually got to goop up with sunscreen in the tropics enough as it is, so I shave for dive trips.

I actually think the 'non pore blocking, waterproof' type sunscreens I use make things worse if I don't shave - they aren't hydrophobic so having them coated on your skin between whiskers = enhanced capillary flow, i.e. they reduce the water surface tension in contact with them.

Edited by rtrski, 25 April 2009 - 05:22 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#15 Aqua_soul

Aqua_soul

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Scuba &amp; Free Diving, Photography above and below water, Architecture, Graphic Design, Art, 3D Modeling &amp; Rendering, Single Malt Whiskeys :)

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

What i have also found is, the older the beard the easier it is to get a good seal. Basically as the hair goes softer.

#16 SunChaser

SunChaser

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Been doing it since '77 with no problem; having a good make makes all the difference. I don't drop the mask down around my neck when I surface though; it's a good way to pull some hair!

#17 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:50 PM

What i have also found is, the older the beard the easier it is to get a good seal. Basically as the hair goes softer.

Along with other things :D
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#18 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

Been diving since 82 with a beard and mustache-I like a purge mask and have always used one as it a bit easier to get water out when clearing when holding a camera with no hands for the mask-never use any grease
Mark

Anyone dive with a beard?

I recently grew a beard again ... any tips for putting on the mask? Will I need a new one? Chapstick?

Don't want to shave it off and I have a dive trip coming up in June ...

Thanks!

2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#19 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

My wife has no problems! :blink:

Lat week I noticed my mask was leaking slightly. Someone else noticed my mask strap had broken. I gotta a hairy face. But then so did Falco.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#20 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:16 AM

All good ... finally was able to get to a pool over the weekend and tested it out.

Teensy leak, but I wasn't deep. I think I'll be fine with no adjustment or goop. I'm glad 'cause I like my mask.

Thanks, all!
Jeremy Payne
My Website