3 replies to this topic

#1 gravity

gravity

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

Hi all,
I am currently staying for a few weeks on the island of Negros in the PI doing some diving and photos. A few days ago I got this shot of a turtle and my wife. I know turtle shots are a dime a dozen in some parts of the world, but I think this is a keeper. I have a bunch of similars along with it. I would appreciate your feedback on what everyone thinks of it and ability to improve it, especially in water improvements. I want to learn to do the best i can before photoshop. This was taken with a d300 and tokina fe at 10mm. Thanks,

Posted Image

#2 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

nice one :P

underwater : maybe a bit more negative space up. and the legs of your wife joining at the end.

then,
taking the greens to yellows and the desaturate the cyans in Camera RAW could give a nice result :o

edit : trying it, I confirm desaturate the cyans to 0 have a nice effet, like on 99% of the wideangle shots of this kind :blink:

Edited by Autopsea, 03 May 2009 - 05:49 AM.

#3 gravity

gravity

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thanks...that is spot on.

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

i really like the composition, don't think needing more negative space above, fits the thirds well. i'd like ot see your wife slightly more to the left and in a better diving position, trimmed down more. I would also suggest underexposing the background a little more, make the water a deeper blue. maybe when it comes to editing, in addition to what Autopsea said, take down the midtones a touch in curves and brighten the highlights to compensate, will boost contrast a bit to add some punch. cheers,

chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105