• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:14 PM

For Sale:
8” acrylic dome port for Subal housings (Type 2 and 3): $499
Subal extension ring 18 (Type 2 and 3): $99

Dome Port:
This item is a custom-made dome port for Subal housings. A machinist made this superb dome port for me about 10 years ago. I prefer acrylic dome ports as opposed to glass ones -- since the refractive index of acrylic is closer to water than glass, images taken behind acrylic domes are arguably sharper and more color-saturated than images taken behind glass domes. These large acrylic domes are also lighter, cost less than glass domes, and perform just as well or better than more expensive glass domes.

My machinist also made an aluminum dome port hood that is included, and I am throwing in a rear protective delrin cover that protects the back end of the port, as well as a neoprene cover for the front.

The port is designed to be used with lenses that don’t need an extension, such as the Nikon 16mm fisheye and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye. This 8" dome should be ideal for fisheye lenses, ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) zooms, and wide angle primes used with both full frame & cropped sensor cameras. This dome is the equivalent of Subal's DP-FE2 and DP-FE3 glass domes.

I have just polished the dome, so it is near-perfect, with no scratches.

Subal Extension Ring 18:
You will likely want to use this port with a Subal 18mm extension ring (included). This Extension Ring will fit Type 2 and 3 ports and is used for the Tokina 10-17 lens in addition to the this (or the Subal Fisheye) dome and a zoom gear.

Do replace the existing older O-rings with the newer thicker 3G O-rings.

If you are interested, please contact Norbert Wu at spam@norbertwu.com. Please no phone calls. I am pricing the ring and port at $99 and $499 respectively; if you buy both, the price will be $579 for both. I am happy to entertain other offers. I can accept Paypal, money orders, and personal checks. Money orders and personal checks will have to clear before the product is shipped; which can take up to two weeks. Shipping will be at the actual cost and will be via UPS Ground, Fedex Ground, or USPS Priority Mail (all of which give tracking of packages). If we conclude a deal, I'll give you a quote for shipping via one of the above methods.

Thanks.

Norbert Wu
spam@norbertwu.com

Attached Images

• _DSC0014.JPG

Norbert Wu
www.norbertwu.com

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3066 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

I prefer acrylic dome ports as opposed to glass ones -- since the refractive index of acrylic is closer to water than glass, images taken behind acrylic domes are arguably sharper and more color-saturated than images taken behind glass domes. These large acrylic domes are also lighter, cost less than glass domes, and perform just as well or better than more expensive glass domes.

Thank you Norbert, you just saved me a ton of money. :lol: When the guys on the boat start giving me crap about my cheap plastic dome now I can say that a pro I respect very much says Acrylic is sharper. Made my day!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2297 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

If the dome is still avalible I would like to buy it.

Would you take a check?

Dave Burroughs

For Sale:
8” acrylic dome port for Subal housings (Type 2 and 3): $499
Subal extension ring 18 (Type 2 and 3): $99

Dome Port:
This item is a custom-made dome port for Subal housings. A machinist made this superb dome port for me about 10 years ago. I prefer acrylic dome ports as opposed to glass ones -- since the refractive index of acrylic is closer to water than glass, images taken behind acrylic domes are arguably sharper and more color-saturated than images taken behind glass domes. These large acrylic domes are also lighter, cost less than glass domes, and perform just as well or better than more expensive glass domes.

My machinist also made an aluminum dome port hood that is included, and I am throwing in a rear protective delrin cover that protects the back end of the port, as well as a neoprene cover for the front.

The port is designed to be used with lenses that don’t need an extension, such as the Nikon 16mm fisheye and Nikon 10.5mm fisheye. This 8" dome should be ideal for fisheye lenses, ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) zooms, and wide angle primes used with both full frame & cropped sensor cameras. This dome is the equivalent of Subal's DP-FE2 and DP-FE3 glass domes.

I have just polished the dome, so it is near-perfect, with no scratches.

Subal Extension Ring 18:
You will likely want to use this port with a Subal 18mm extension ring (included). This Extension Ring will fit Type 2 and 3 ports and is used for the Tokina 10-17 lens in addition to the this (or the Subal Fisheye) dome and a zoom gear.

Do replace the existing older O-rings with the newer thicker 3G O-rings.

If you are interested, please contact Norbert Wu at spam@norbertwu.com. Please no phone calls. I am pricing the ring and port at $99 and $499 respectively; if you buy both, the price will be $579 for both. I am happy to entertain other offers. I can accept Paypal, money orders, and personal checks. Money orders and personal checks will have to clear before the product is shipped; which can take up to two weeks. Shipping will be at the actual cost and will be via UPS Ground, Fedex Ground, or USPS Priority Mail (all of which give tracking of packages). If we conclude a deal, I'll give you a quote for shipping via one of the above methods.

Thanks.

Norbert Wu
spam@norbertwu.com

Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 photoagent101

photoagent101

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Thank you Norbert, you just saved me a ton of money. :) When the guys on the boat start giving me crap about my cheap plastic dome now I can say that a pro I respect very much says Acrylic is sharper. Made my day!

Cheers,
Steve

What better reason for guys to get together on a boat than to give each other crap. If not your plastic dome, then something else. We're all lucky to have friends that give us crap.
Norbert Wu
www.norbertwu.com

#5 photoagent101

photoagent101

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

If the dome is still avalible I would like to buy it.

Would you take a check?

Dave Burroughs

Hi Dave: I thought I had replied to your query about my Subal dome. However, I can't find it. If you let me know your direct email, I can let you know more details through a more private and personal medium than this forum. Sure, I can take a check.

Thanks. Norbert Wu, temp4_at_norbertwu.com.

Edited by photoagent101, 10 May 2009 - 07:37 PM.

Norbert Wu
www.norbertwu.com