Bright yellow slug on net attached to FAD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

We saw this only on one FAD. Which was also the only one that happened to have this kind of net.

Sorry for the blown highlights but this was the only decent one I could get. Currents were strong and the net was billowing about.

Location I think was about 20km outside of Lhaviyani Atoll, Maldives.

Attached Images

• unknown_slug_sm.jpg
  • unknown_slug_s.jpg

#2 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Took another look Debelius guide says Aplysia sp.. But it says it's only found in the Andaman sea of thailand so I guess it must have drifted here. Sorry hehe, dunno how I missed it.

I guess the behavior described "prefers algae encrusting substrates" makes sense because the parts of the net near it seem to be cleaned out (compare with net in background).

edit: Couldn't find any specific species after searching around on the internet though. Anyone else seen this?

Edited by Hani Amir, 06 May 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

It is not an Aplysia, although is related. It is Stylocheilus longicauda, which is circumtropical.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks man! :) Another reason not to trust that Debelius book too much then hehe.