• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

I am exploring options to redo my website.
My goal is to build a website that is both a blog and a good photo gallery site, but it seems that these are mutually exclusive with most of the easily accessible blog and gallery sites out there. Either I can create a nice blog with limited gallery features, or visa versa. I am not a coding person but I can follow instructions like those in WordPress etc.
For example; I have been trying to use WordPress with a downloaded theme from ShutterThemes hosting my site with Gator, but it really just facilitates displaying single images rather than galleries.
Is there any off the shelf software and hosting combination that will allow me to build a site with the functionality of a site like Eric's or Alex's sites.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1705 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

Take a look at my site-www.adamhanlon.com. I've used a combination of a smugmug site, with customization, and a blogger blog. The customization on smugmug is very easy (it must be if I can do it!)

I used to use wordpress, but embedding the WP blog into a smugmug template defeated me!

I do find the options for adding pictures to the blogger blog to be infinitely inferior to all the options on WP though.

All the best

Adam

Edited by adamdiveruk, 10 May 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

Hi,

Take a look at my site-www.adamhanlon.com. I've used a combination of a smugmug site, with customization, and a blogger blog. The customization on smugmug is very easy (it must be if I can do it!)

I used to use wordpress, but embedding the WP blog into a smugmug template defeated me!

I do find the options for adding pictures to the blogger blog to be infinitely inferior to all the options on WP though.

All the best

Adam

Thanks,
I'll work on it.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

It's hard to find something off-the-shelf that does both blogs and images well. Thats why Eric , myself, and many others run their sites on their own server. We use the best-of-breed software, and then integrate it to make it look like 1 entity. But really what you're seeing is wordpress AND smugmug AND... AND, all combined into site.

The only way to come close to this is by using things like Wordpress.com, Smugmug, etc, and then use the ability to theme them to make it look the same. Both Wordpress and Smugmug allow theming, so it should be possible to integrate the 2 pretty well.

Anyways, good luck in your hunt.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

It's hard to find something off-the-shelf that does both blogs and images well. Thats why Eric , myself, and many others run their sites on their own server. We use the best-of-breed software, and then integrate it to make it look like 1 entity. But really what you're seeing is wordpress AND smugmug AND... AND, all combined into site.

The only way to come close to this is by using things like Wordpress.com, Smugmug, etc, and then use the ability to theme them to make it look the same. Both Wordpress and Smugmug allow theming, so it should be possible to integrate the 2 pretty well.

Anyways, good luck in your hunt.

Yes thanks; that's the direction I'm heading. So do you host SmugMug on your server as well, or just WordPress?
Any difference between using your own inhouse server vs something like hostgator?

#6 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

i once used http://wordpress.org...d/plugins/wpg2/
to integrate WP and Gallery

but what COR says is pretty right

you could also take a look at http://wordpress.org...extgen-gallery/ which is a nice plugin if you want to make a WP blog or page for each gallery you create.

Giles
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#7 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hi, I dont run smugmug, thats a service that you buy only. But smugmug (pro version at least) allows total control over the layout of your photos. So you can theme it anyway you want. I do run my own wordpress, but you can do almost all of that through wordpress.com. It may possibly restrict you in plugin choices, which is one of the reasons I run my own. This allows me for instance to run a smugmug plugin inside wordpress allowing me to do things like:

http://underwa.ter.n...beach/#more-132

The images come straight from a Smugmug Gallery.

The difference between using hostgator or running your own is quite big. When you run your own server (hosted at an ISP that allows you to put your own server there) you can do whatever you want. But the flip side is, you must know how to maintain a server (or hire someone to do it). Hostgator can do all of that for you, leaving you just having to worry about your main applications (blog, images). But you have to be careful, not all products hostgator offers may allow you run the things you want. Make sure you inquire first. (for instance, can you run a database, which is necessary for wordpress).
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#8 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hey Jeff! (& Happy Mum's Day to Michelle!) :)

I know what you are going through; I've been looking at lots of options too. I've decided recently to just keep what I have for now and get my portfolio posted in more places, like Flickr, and link (for now). I've used iWeb for some time, it's simple if you don't know much computer stuff, but not ideal. Plus if you want to sell prints (even with a link) you have to publish site to another server.

Jeff, since you have many photos that are really lovely and artistic, maybe you want to do something like Scott Kelby does? It is linked to his main blog page also. If you migrate to Lightroom, you might want to take it a step further. One thing, NAPP's headquarters is near me here; in fact I ran into Scott Kelby at the Apple Store in Tampa a few weeks ago. They are open to helping photographers set up sites, especially local Florida photographers. I'll probably go this route eventually, but I've found it better, right now, to circulate a small number of manatee images in several places - rather than just concentrate on one, perfect site for myself. I tend to be slow at certain things... :)

Just an idea...

Best Always, Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

Hey Jeff! (& Happy Mum's Day to Michelle!) :)

I know what you are going through; I've been looking at lots of options too. I've decided recently to just keep what I have for now and get my portfolio posted in more places, like Flickr, and link (for now). I've used iWeb for some time, it's simple if you don't know much computer stuff, but not ideal. Plus if you want to sell prints (even with a link) you have to publish site to another server.

Jeff, since you have many photos that are really lovely and artistic, maybe you want to do something like Scott Kelby does? It is linked to his main blog page also. If you migrate to Lightroom, you might want to take it a step further. One thing, NAPP's headquarters is near me here; in fact I ran into Scott Kelby at the Apple Store in Tampa a few weeks ago. They are open to helping photographers set up sites, especially local Florida photographers. I'll probably go this route eventually, but I've found it better, right now, to circulate a small number of manatee images in several places - rather than just concentrate on one, perfect site for myself. I tend to be slow at certain things... :)

Just an idea...

Best Always, Carol

Thanks Carol; I think Happy Mother's Day is in order for you too as the mommy of the manatees. :)

#10 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Carol; I think Happy Mother's Day is in order for you too as the mommy of the manatees. :)

Ahhhhhh, I :) manatees!

Thanks for thinking of me; makes me fell like I too, have kids!! :)

Happy Mother's Day All!

Kindest Regards, Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17