• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

Hi all,
The Housing Appraisal is now ready and waiting to post. The file itself, a compressed PDF weighs in at 1MB so is over what seems to be the 500k attachment limit here.

Any pointers?

There are also some links to some underwater clips that were shot on a Z1U by Nick Martorano during the trip.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

Here is the PDF that Mark has put together, as a mod I have a larger attachment allowance!

Attached File  Appraisal_mkII.pdf   1MB   300 downloads

There are also some short clips of the beasts in action (the cameras, not the cameramen) here.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:59 AM

Thank you sir.......

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hey Mark,
Very thorough reviews of all 3 housings and was glad to see both writers personalize their perspectives of each. I certainly agree that, especially in today's economy, some of the costs border on outrageous. You did have some excellent suggestions regarding trading in policies with new models hitting the market like tsunami's.
Do you have an explanation for the pixillation of the Gates monitor? Unless there was a bad cable, that should not have occurred.
Congrats and well done, mate
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hey Mark,
Very thorough reviews of all 3 housings and was glad to see both writers personalize their perspectives of each. I certainly agree that, especially in today's economy, some of the costs border on outrageous. You did have some excellent suggestions regarding trading in policies with new models hitting the market like tsunami's.
Do you have an explanation for the pixillation of the Gates monitor? Unless there was a bad cable, that should not have occurred.
Congrats and well done, mate
Steve

Hey Steve,
Long time buddy. Been busy but hope as always that you are well. The issue of pixelation was seen on a few times. This led us to believe that this may have been for any number of reasons, bad connection, dust in one of the pins etc etc.

In defense of the costs, I know they seem steep, but one should also look at what you are getting. I am not blowing anyone's trumpet here, and nor have I been requested to. Look at all of the stories which abound in these forums regarding customer care, "Oh these guys suck 'coz they are never there when I call, don't reply to my mails, calls"etc. For the cost of the housing I think you are discussing one gets a lot of the additional extras you would normally have to pay for, adjustable handles, seal check equipment etc. Then put a client care package on top of that which is second to none and you have a sound investment. I had an external monitor problem with a Z1U housing from that manufacturer when I was in Palau and they called me on a Monday morning, internationally, on my cell....never heard of any other company with kinda attention to their clients. Yes the housings can be expensive but IF I were to be looking at that kind of investment I would also realize that this is system is not built for a camera that will want to be replaced by the owner in a year, two years, tops. Its all relative.

Hey how are things going anyway? Hope Bets is feeling better. How's the Harley? Loved cruising on that when I was there.

Be good mate.......
Cheers,
Mark.

#6 TMan2

TMan2

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Great information guys!
TJ Mansfield
Submerge Camera
Where only the Best Gear is Sold!
www.submergecamera.com
1-877-5-SUBMERGE
+1.269.324.9999
submerge@submergecamera.com

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:10 AM

Great work there guys.
Look forward to reading it.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Good Day to all,

Many thanks to Mark and Johnny for this review, and particular gratitude from Gates for a proper field shakedown of DEEP RED. They highlighted important issues to address prior to deployment.

Which, incidentally, have indeed been addressed. All the items noted in the report are behind us for production housings. Details are available if so requested.

One note about the 'pixelation'. This is actually noise, introduced by trying to pass those pesky high speed digital signals across bulkhead connectors. After several tries with different manufacturers, we simply could not get rid of the noise. So we have developed a solution that is unique to Gates: a 'pass through' cable that is *uninterrupted* from LEMO to LEMO, yet remains detachable.

J-

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

John,
To simplify things for my understanding, is this like the difference in impedance between different gauges of audio wire? 16 or 18 gauge is rather thin and for hi end theater systems, a much higher gauge allows cleaner sound. Is it the same for the cable from a hi speed digital signals needing simply a more efficient cable to allow the transfer of data?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#10 nickdiver

nickdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Uw filmmaking, uw photo, digital video editing, marine conservation

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

Here is the PDF that Mark has put together, as a mod I have a larger attachment allowance!

There are also some short clips of the beasts in action (the cameras, not the cameramen) here.

Alex

Thanks Alex for allowing the hosting of the pdf file on WP, and for posting the link to my website, where the videoclips of the RED Shootout are available for download ( http://www.oceanwonders.org/RED_Palau )

If hosting of that pdf paper ever becomes a problem in the future, I'll be happy to host that file on my site, on the same page where the videoclips reside.

Nick
Nick Martorano - Ocean Wonders Underwater Video Productions
L&M Bluefin HD for Sony Z1U, with L&M Standard and WA lens; L&M Sunray Pro HID lighs; backup rig: L&M Bluefin 900 for Sony PD100 and L&M Standard, WA, Macro lenses; MacroMate Super Macro lens
http://www.oceanwonders.org

#11 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Nick - I'll have this posted on the front page shortly. It is never a problem to host this sort of thing on Wetpixel!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#12 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

By the way, great article. I've been wondering for some time how getting the RED underwater was going...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#13 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:16 PM

Steve,

It's not the cable per se, it's rather the lack thereof as it passes over the bulkhead connector. A higher grade cable would not help as it would still need to transmit through the unshielded connector.

J-

#14 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

Great report Mark and really interesting. It will good to see whether Deep Red can be modified for EPIC when it comes out that will make the price tag a lot easier to justify.
Do you have any screen grabs from the shoot to compare the optics of each of the housings? That could be a serious deal breaker.

Cheers

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#15 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

I'm afraid not Johnny. Client keeps all footage, no exceptions. I will not be upgrading to Epic, the whole yearly turn around with cameras and accessories at this end of the line is just way too much to tolerate. Why, when I can get sensor services and upgrades? Form factor stays the same. When will anyone be broadcasting in 4K? Not in my lifetime or for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
Mark.

#16 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Yeah Mark, but what are you going to do when Red comes out with the new Holographic cams and everyone has a Star Trek holographic theater room. Bet you'll upgrade then.;-)
I agree with you, it used to be a cam stayed king of the hill for a few years and now its as bad as computers, they drop to the bottom of the line's barrel very quick making it financially impossible to keep up.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#17 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

One word

HIRE

Dive safe

Dean (the money saving guru)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#18 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Steve, by that time I'll be as crusty as the creature from the black lagoon and the crew of Star Trek will be Oldly going where no hologram has gone before !

Dean, not many rental houses in Asia with RED! Shame. I hear what you're saying. Money Saving Guru? More like Tight Fisted Bar Steward :)

Cheers,
Mark.

Edited by CamDiver, 14 May 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#19 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

Very nice review Mark. Our Red should be coming in next week, so the plan is to be in the water over Memorial weekend with it shooting!!! Hope to get out this time (last 3 local trips canceled due to weather) and have some good stuff to show at the Long Beach show!!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#20 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:40 AM

Depending on your water classification and light obviously, get yourself a set of ND filters. Will stand you in good stead.

Cheers,
Mark.