• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Indonesian Minister of Marine Affairs and Fisheries Freddy Numberi announced the formation of the biggest marine reserve in South East Asia, located in the Savu Sea, which is bordered by the islands of Flores, Timor and Sumba. This is a major migration route for 14 species of whale and also a tuna spawning ground. The 3.5 million hectares area will be the largest in Indonesia and is part of Indonesia President S.B. Yudhoyono's commitment to have 10 million hectares of marine reserve by 2010.
The area will be administered by The Nature Conservancy (Komodo National Park was under TNC in the beginning) and World Wildlife Fund, presumably ultimately moving toward an Indonesian run entity like PNK for Komodo.
Biggest Marine Park in South East Asia announced

Reuters release

I am tepidly optimistic as this will be a great boon to conservation in the Coral Triangle. However, even in Komodo (which is seen as a success) there is still illegal fishing going on and the fight continues. With the Savu Seas Marine Park, there will be zones set up to local fishermen who have depended on the area for centuries. Obviously destructive fishing methods like cyanide and bombs will be prosecuted. This will be an intricate process that will take years to implement but it is definitely in the right direction.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

Here is another article by Benjamin Kahn and Johannes Subijanto:

Jakarta Post Article
TNC's involvement is highlighted here:
Savu Seas Marine Protected Area

Posted Image
Here is a map of the area and the proposed boundaries of the MPA.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

wow, putting a map to it makes it rather impressive in size.

Lets hope it can be enforced.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

That's always the fear Mike. Apparently they have a single patrol boat already set up. The problem of budget to fuel and run the patrols. Hopefully they'll even better the Komodo model in enforcement and efficiency.

Drew

#5 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:45 AM

Absolutely good news, thanks for the posting Drew. It will take time and enforcement is always a problem but the local support will help a lot.