24 replies to this topic

#1 jakelevenson

jakelevenson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Hi Everyone,
ok, so I just got a new housing for my D700 and happened to stumble across an old post about gear thefts in Puerto Rico. Of course now I'm worried about losing my housing before ever getting a chance to use it! Does anyone recommend an inconspicuous means of packing gear? Seems like with all the regulations these days you really don't have that much protection from theft. Any advice?

Thanks
D700 in an Aquatica Housing, Sea and Sea YS-110a and YS17 Strobes, Ike DS-200's, a bunch of other gear that seems be outdated or flooded faster than I could ever afford to replace!

#2 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:04 AM

If you carry your gear on board you will be ok, it is the check-ins that get ripped off. Just don't use a pelican case as a check in since it draws attention, use something like a lowepro roller since it looks like a regular soft sided case.

Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#3 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:32 AM

I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. Pack your camera/housing in non-fancy carry/wheel on, something not too heavy. I find LowePro too heavy and not quite deep enough. I transport Nikon D2x rig this way, and it's hardly light-weight.

If challenged on weight [not happened yet], explain your situation, that you have $15,000 of gear or whatever it is. and ask if they will assume liability if they take it. I hear that works.

Hi Everyone,
ok, so I just got a new housing for my D700 and happened to stumble across an old post about gear thefts in Puerto Rico. Of course now I'm worried about losing my housing before ever getting a chance to use it! Does anyone recommend an inconspicuous means of packing gear? Seems like with all the regulations these days you really don't have that much protection from theft. Any advice?

Thanks

Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#4 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Fork out $130 bucks for a pelican 1510 it meets all the airline carryon requirements and you could store your housing in there. I usually put the housing and strobes inside the pelican and put the camera and lenses inside a lowepro backpack. The rest of the piece parts go in checked luggage.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#5 jakelevenson

jakelevenson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.corporate...37d877146229851
D700 in an Aquatica Housing, Sea and Sea YS-110a and YS17 Strobes, Ike DS-200's, a bunch of other gear that seems be outdated or flooded faster than I could ever afford to replace!

#6 ckchong

ckchong

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

hi,
i have a same question here......any one here using ikelite housing that can fit all the staff in one backpack but not case, i saw before one of the dinner keep they thing in one backpack but with nexus housing (a bit campact size)....now i using 2 backpack for my staff.... :P ;) not included diving Equement

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

I recommend the Thinktank products. I was able to get a complete macro setup into carry-on using a Thinktank Airport Acceleration.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

hi,
i have a same question here......any one here using ikelite housing that can fit all the staff in one backpack but not case, i saw before one of the dinner keep they thing in one backpack but with nexus housing (a bit campact size)....now i using 2 backpack for my staff.... :P ;) not included diving Equement

I use a Lowepro Vertex AW300 backpack - right at the limit of carryon legality for US flights, over for international. Does fit under the seat even on American's smaller MD80 aircraft.

I pack the Ike housing, spare port extensions, small dome, zoom rings, 2 DS50s, and all ULCS buoyancy arm components in the backpack. With it lenses, 2 camera bodies (neither is "in" the housing), filters, batteries, chargers, and memory cards. Oh, and a small focus light. I slip my dive computer (in a console mount on a quick-release fitting) in the outside mesh pocket.

The large 8" dome assembly and the actual 2-arm tray handle go in the checked bags with the dive gear, the former wrapped in a wetsuit on top of the included neoprene cover.

With the backpack packed like that I cannot comfortably put a 15.4" laptop (standard HP dv6000 chassis) into the backpack as well. It will "fit" if I force it, but at that point the backpack is expanded too thick to fit under a seat and the laptop feels like it's getting strained (flexed) by the mass of stuff beneath it. So the laptop gets carried by the wife instead.

Wasn't challenged with the backpack on a flight to Dominica, including the smaller turboprop leg from SJU. But only traveled with it the once, and that was just before they started charging for checked bags. Will find out in July if I can make it thru again - at least this time the trip is on a 757 so they may be a bit less 'vigilant' solely based on carryon space (vs. based on revenue maximization....)

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#9 ckchong

ckchong

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thanks trski.......

I use a Lowepro Vertex AW300 backpack - right at the limit of carryon legality for US flights, over for international. Does fit under the seat even on American's smaller MD80 aircraft.

I pack the Ike housing, spare port extensions, small dome, zoom rings, 2 DS50s, and all ULCS buoyancy arm components in the backpack. With it lenses, 2 camera bodies (neither is "in" the housing), filters, batteries, chargers, and memory cards. Oh, and a small focus light. I slip my dive computer (in a console mount on a quick-release fitting) in the outside mesh pocket.

The large 8" dome assembly and the actual 2-arm tray handle go in the checked bags with the dive gear, the former wrapped in a wetsuit on top of the included neoprene cover.

With the backpack packed like that I cannot comfortably put a 15.4" laptop (standard HP dv6000 chassis) into the backpack as well. It will "fit" if I force it, but at that point the backpack is expanded too thick to fit under a seat and the laptop feels like it's getting strained (flexed) by the mass of stuff beneath it. So the laptop gets carried by the wife instead.

Wasn't challenged with the backpack on a flight to Dominica, including the smaller turboprop leg from SJU. But only traveled with it the once, and that was just before they started charging for checked bags. Will find out in July if I can make it thru again - at least this time the trip is on a 757 so they may be a bit less 'vigilant' solely based on carryon space (vs. based on revenue maximization....)

#10 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

I've been really happy with my LowePro Roller 3. Quite inconspicuous and holds my Subal D200 housing, Dome, Macro port, 2x YS350, canister light, loads of batteries and chargers, etc. very securely. I also like that the way the partitions work most of the big items just drop in and it's really obvious where to replace them. So I've found that even if TSA opens it up and examines things everything tends to get put back where it belongs.

Clinton

Nikon D800, Subal Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#11 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

I use a Tamrac Speedroller 2. Carry-on legal and it fits everything - housing, dome port, macro port, 2 YS 250's, focus light, Stix arms and floats, a couple different extension rings, batteries and chargers. Camera, lenses and laptop go in a LowePro back pack.

Of course, while it looks inconspicuous, the roller weighs over 40 lbs! I was recently challenged on it for the Cathay Pacific flight leaving Jakarta (no one's ever weighed it before). I pulled all the sob story, stayed insistent, and finally the supervisor relented and I was able to carry it on. Of course, it was only when I was getting off the commuter flight from LAX home in San Diego that I watched it fall off the conveyor belt 5 ft. to the tarmac...

Check out this thread as well: http://wetpixel.com/...t...&hl=packing

Phil

Edited by philsokol, 26 May 2009 - 05:41 PM.

Phil Sokol
Canon 7D, Subal, dual Inon Z240's, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm and 100mm
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#12 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:16 AM

I'm using the Akona camera bag pro (or something like that) It goes under all the carry on specifications and I can fit 4 lenses my housing, two ikelite ds160 an 8 inch dome and port.

#13 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. ...

Funny.
I made some stickers stating: "Caution: Fragile Sewage Monitoring Equipment...Handle with Care"
The wife made me strip them off the Pelican 1650 cases....
---------------
Mark

#14 JackConnick

JackConnick

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

A friend of mine used to label his coolers "Caution; Human Transplant Organs - Do Not Delay". A little red food coloring around the edges and Bob's Your Uncle!

You might also check out the SeaHorse cases, the 940 roller case is huge and is still carry-on size. They have two layers of foam so you can layer your gear as necessary. Same basic specs as Pelican in terms of lifetime warranty, but lighter construction.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#15 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

What housing for your D700 (need to know the size). I used to use, and recommend Storm or Pelican cases, but that required you to check in your system. I started using the Think Tank bags a year ago, and would never switch again (unless I needed to check the gear in). I can fit 80% of most SLR systems (aluminum housings) in one carry on back pack. This includes camera and a coupole of lenses. Depending on your accessories, the backpack (Airport Acceleration) and a small other Think Tank bag (Urban Disquise 50 or 60) to fit additionals. That means you have your carry on and a personal item...but both can be carried on!!

Its great for traveling. The reason I dont use the roller bags is they weigh 10LBS more, and are much more likely to get weighed then a backpack.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#16 Pyrfan

Pyrfan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

So - thoughts on what you can do when the carry on limit from LAX to Fiji is only 7 kg? My carryon empty weighs about that? You can have 2 pieces of checked luggage. Thanks.

#17 donone123

donone123

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

I've always wanted to use HazMat stickers, but airline might balk. Pack your camera/housing in non-fancy carry/wheel on, something not too heavy. I find LowePro too heavy and not quite deep enough. I transport Nikon D2x rig this way, and it's hardly light-weight.

If challenged on weight [not happened yet], explain your situation, that you have $15,000 of gear or whatever it is. and ask if they will assume liability if they take it. I hear that works.

Yeah that worked for me once.

#18 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

A size L Scierra Game Bag ( http://www.scierra.c...e/index.html#38 ) works as carry on for me. I pack an Ike, 2 x G9's, a couple of Z-240's, close and w/a glass and photoviewer. The tray and arms go in the hold.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#19 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

It seems like a lot of people advise against a checked Storm or Pelican case but I'm curious how many have actually had thefts as a result of this approach. I've used a backpack to transport my rig as a carry on but these days I've been traveling with family and kids and it has been much easier to just check my housing in a storm case. In the past couple of years I've done this on multiple trips to Hawaii as well as Eleuthera and GrandCayman. I've had no problems checking my underwater gear. Am I really just tempting fate?
David
www.safanda.com

#20 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

I would think its the general risk factor. "Better safe then sorry" mentality. The numbers may be small especially if you are going to relatively safe destinations with little to no reports of this.
A friend of mine used to take a storm case however stopped due to the general weight of it.