• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Has anyone yet bought the new Sea & Sea Dx2g? Any reviews that can be shared with the group?

#2 phil4

phil4

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

Has anyone yet bought the new Sea & Sea Dx2g? Any reviews that can be shared with the group?

I am also interested in a review of this new camera. I have been looking to replace my Cannon AS7100 IS with an new camera because I find when taking pictures the recover rate to be able to take the next picture is too long. I am looking for something with a faster rate without going to a full DSLR.

Thanks

Phil

#3 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

I got the camera today. Will not be able to dive with it for a week or possibly two so can't provide any info on its performance underwater, but the housing looks good and all controls work well enough.

The camera itself is great. I'm a huge fan of Ricoh's way of doing things and the controls are excellent. I never tried out the 1G so can't really say how different it is, but one of the main issues were the RAW buffer and that's sorted. You can snap away pretty fast with this one. Focus is fast for a compact and there's always snap focus which basically gives you good sharpness from ~1.8m to infinity.

Apart from that, I can try to answer any questions you might have on the actual camera.

#4 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

I just picked up my camera today. I will be probably diving with it in two weeks or so due to work schedule. I can't wait to try it out. I will post on here once I have taken pics with it UW. The camera seems the same as the 1g. The menus are basically the same.

#5 Solo_NZ

Solo_NZ

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but the main differences seem to be faster save time for RAW images (always a good thing), the ability to do up to 5 and the fact ot has gone from 10.01mp to 12.1mp. Are there any other main differences between DX1G and DX2G?

Here's to Love, Life, Happiness... and our Enemies enemies!

www.scuba.co.nz 

#6 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

There's a ton of improvements over the GX100/DX-1G. I'd suggest looking at this review of the camera:

http://www.photograp...ricoh_gx200.php

End quote:

"At first glance the GX200 seems very similar to it predecessor, but after a week's shooting it quickly becomes evident that this camera is much more refined, both in terms of speed and features - the only thing lacking is any improvement in image quality. If you can live with the noise at ISO 400 and faster, the Ricoh GX200 is a great backup to your DSLR, and a fantastic pocket camera is its own right."

I got a chance to use it a bit this weekend, only for topside, but am very happy with the IQ at low ISO. Can post shots if anyone's interested. The handling is absolutely spectacular - the ease of use and ability to very quickly adjust just about everything makes it resemble an enthusiast level DSLR in a much smaller package. And snap focus is absolutely brilliant, effectively taking away the dreaded focus lag completely.

#7 phil4

phil4

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

There's a ton of improvements over the GX100/DX-1G. I'd suggest looking at this review of the camera:

http://www.photograp...ricoh_gx200.php

End quote:

"At first glance the GX200 seems very similar to it predecessor, but after a week's shooting it quickly becomes evident that this camera is much more refined, both in terms of speed and features - the only thing lacking is any improvement in image quality. If you can live with the noise at ISO 400 and faster, the Ricoh GX200 is a great backup to your DSLR, and a fantastic pocket camera is its own right."

I got a chance to use it a bit this weekend, only for topside, but am very happy with the IQ at low ISO. Can post shots if anyone's interested. The handling is absolutely spectacular - the ease of use and ability to very quickly adjust just about everything makes it resemble an enthusiast level DSLR in a much smaller package. And snap focus is absolutely brilliant, effectively taking away the dreaded focus lag completely.

#8 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well, I'm home from a two week trip to Malta where I got to use the camera and housing properly. It was also the first time I used it, so the first few dives were quite a learning period. This is incidentally the first time I've been using a camera with a lens starting this wide underwater, as well as first time I've been using two strobes so there was a lot of learning involved to avoid backscatter etc...

As a lot of the diving was on shipwrecks and in less than clear water, I often regretted not having picked up the WA wet lens before the trip, on a number of shots it would have made a ton of difference.

That said, the camera itself performed flawlessly, as did the flashes. I've heard of issues with TTL on the DX-1G but my strobes fired accurately every time. I used the in camera flash compensation and TTL exclusively and found that gave decent results (for my standards). RAW, another issue of the DX-1G, also worked flawlessly. Not that I often took a quick series of shots, but I did try snap focus and taking multiple shots on a few occasions and writing speed never got in the way of getting the shot.

I find the overall handling to be excellent and very intuitive, especially if you're used to SLRs (I shoot only with SLRs on land). I could easily adjust all settings underwater. Because this was my first trip with the setup and because I had a number of other things to consider (being inside a wreck or a cave for the first time for example), I kept the camera in aperture priority mode for the entire time. Next trip I will most likely play around more in manual to be able to better isolate close subjects from the background (I noticed a few times when I believe a faster shutter speed would have done a better job of blacking out the background).

All in all, I'm very happy with the setup, and if Ricoh ever manages to cram a better sensor into the GX series, I probably would give up SLRs completely - this little camera really is that good.

A few shots...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Solo_NZ

Solo_NZ

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for posting! Nice pics.

What strobes are you using?

How much faster do you think the camera is at saving single RAW images vs the DX1G?

www.scuba.co.nz 

#10 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for posting! Nice pics.

What strobes are you using?

How much faster do you think the camera is at saving single RAW images vs the DX1G?

Thanks, Solo.

I'm using YS-110a strobes. As for RAW speed, for a single file it's very hard to tell (1 sec vs 5,5 secs perhaps?), but the GX200 / 2G has a buffer for up to five continuous shots so you will basically never suffer from an inability to take a shot due to the camera writing files to the memory card.

#11 Paula Schi

Paula Schi

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

Did you use the manual mode or automatic mode?
The DX1G has an issue in the manual mode, being that the screen goes almost completely dark and you cannot
focus your subject. Is this still an issue with the 2G?

Your pictures look great!

Greetings,
Paula

#12 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Thank you Paula!

No, that seems to be resolved. I used it in aperture priority mode during this trip but have used it quite a bit on land in manual mode and had no problem with the screen blacking out.

Focus, incidentally, worked without focus light, even inside wrecks and caves in complete darkness.

Thomas

#13 Solo_NZ

Solo_NZ

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi ktwse,

Just wondering about using the 5 shot continuous...

How does the YS-110a strobe handle it? Does it keep up with you taking shots that fast?

If you take a shot per second does the strobe fire every time?

I wouldn't think it would be able to fire as fast as the camera can take pics?

www.scuba.co.nz 

#14 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

No, the strobes aren't as fast as the camera, I think their recycle time is about 2 seconds. I never actually used continuous mode, but it's good to know that the strobes, not the camera, sets the limit for how fast you can shoot.

Thomas

#15 Cathy

Cathy

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thank you Paula!

No, that seems to be resolved. I used it in aperture priority mode during this trip but have used it quite a bit on land in manual mode and had no problem with the screen blacking out.

Focus, incidentally, worked without focus light, even inside wrecks and caves in complete darkness.

Thomas

The question about the screen going dark applies only when you are setting the manual mode for a dark background while you are using the strobe for the light source. If you set your camera to be several stops underexposed, does the screen also turn dark?
Cathy Church
www.cathychurch.com