• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:55 AM

Hi there, this is my first post here, so I may be asking a dumb question - though I did a search and couldn't see anything obvious.

I've got a Canon D30, and I'm looking at getting a DX30/60 from Sea and Sea, and I'd like to know whether I could use a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX with it. The lens has a built in hood, so I was wondering whether that fits OK inside the wide angle domes.

Thanks

Rattus
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 05:01 AM

Oh Tom?

Tshepard has used this setup so hopefully he will chime in.

Welcome to Wetpixel Rattus!

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 01:45 AM

Thanks James,

I see have/had one of the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 EX lenses. Apart from flare, what do you reckon to it?

Since your tip off I found some more threads that suggest Sea and Sea were working on gears for this lens on the DX30/60 back in Feb, so it may just be time to contact the distributers and get them to chase it.

I'll be really glad to finally get my D30 underwater and dive images on our walls.

Best regards

Rattus
Canon 5D

#4 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:24 AM

Hey Rattus,

So, what happened was, I actually didn't realize that there were two lenses, the old f/3.5 ZEN and the newer f/2.8. Just before my trip, I bought the 2.8 and the compact dome port, and didn't have time to try them together before I left. When I got back, S&S basically told me that they weren't supporting the newer lens and that I was out of luck. I originally bought the 14mm only because I wanted something that I was sure was supported so that I didn't have to mess around with figuring out extension rings, etc. Since it didn't work, and I was within the time frame for returns, I sent the lens back for a refund.

Long story short, when I tried to fit the Sigma in the compact dome port, it was maybe 1/2" too short because of the fixed lens hood. You could probably either add an extension ring, or simply use the larger dome port.

I'm going to go a different route personally. I bought a Canon 17-40L lens and will be housing that instead. I've looked into it a little, and with the compact dome port, I think I need a #56111 Intermediate Stiffening Ring 40. The same ring may also work for the Sigma. The zoom gear may be a bit more difficult, but it looks like a zoom gear that fits the 16-35 may work with the 17-40 since they are fairly similar in size / shape.

The unfortunate part is that I haven't been diving much this summer because of my work schedule, so I haven't been super motivated to sort the ports out.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tom

#5 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 12:37 AM

Hi Tom, thanks for the advice.

I'd love to know how you get on with that 17-40mm Canon. I had assumed that a wide prime was the way forward, but by the looks of dry land images that people are getting from that zoom, it's looking like a winner.

The lens is actually the same price as the Sigma EX prime in the UK, so I'm definitely interested.

Cheers mate

Rattus
Canon 5D