• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

I thought that many of the folk here might benefit from this particular article I wrote for the editing websites. Hope someone finds it useful to them.
http://www.kenstone....cp_douglas.html
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Cool - thanks for that Steve. I've always done watermarks differently - and end up with time/rendering issues in the end. This looks far more seamless. I'll be trying this one out for sure.

Appreciate the post.
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#3 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

I batch watermark my clips in Compressor. I prefer to keep my timelines in FCP clear of additional rendering of watermark. I take a bunch of clips, drag into Compressor, choose the format I want and add the watermark.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

O.... is that how you do it?
I was just dipping my tapes in water to water mark them :)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

I batch watermark my clips in Compressor. I prefer to keep my timelines in FCP clear of additional rendering of watermark. I take a bunch of clips, drag into Compressor, choose the format I want and add the watermark.

Where do you add the watermark in Compressor Shawn?
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#6 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Inspector Window (row of icons near top)
Filters Tab (overlaying clips icon)
Water Mark Check Box (scroll down to bottom)
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#7 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

I really don't like watermarks which distract you from the photo itself. I've always used a tiny little discreet " Hani Amir" in plain text in a corner of my photos. It's pretty easy to record a photoshop action to do it for you as well.

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

It just goes to show that there are a great many ways to do the same thing. However, Shawn, since I don't do it in Compressor, are your watermarks transparent? It is the transparency that's makes the watermark, whether it is text or logo, more palatable to the viewer.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

Sure. 0-100% transparency.
www.bluespheremedia.com

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1967 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:41 PM

I am assuming that the removal of CMI (Copyright Management Information) laws apply to video as well as photos.

It's definitely a good idea to watermark video and to put copyright and contact information in the video's metadata.

(by the way there's loads more great copyright info on that site)

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for posting that Nick. Very interesting reading. By the way, for Mac folk, clicking on Option/G will create the copyright symbol. It is also in the fonts under 'special characters'
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#12 Drewski

Drewski

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Wreck diving, hot tubbing, camping and climbing - in that order!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

By the way, for Mac folk, clicking on Option/G will create the copyright symbol. It is also in the fonts under 'special characters'
Steve

AAAAAHHHHHAAAAA !!! Kinda like Homer's "Any Key."

Unh, thanks... >> Like, I knew I'd figure out MAC special characters SOME day, but was NOT wanting to ask, LOL... <<
Drewski
Click here for my Vimeo Channel or here for my Youtube Channel.