12 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

Wetpixel is going to Scuba Show 2009 in Long Beach, California this coming May 30-31, 2009! As usual, we are looking for a few enthusiastic volunteers to help at the booth. You'll get a free pass to the show and a free Wetpixel Quarterly aluminum collector's box. If you're interested, please contact Michaela at michaela@wetpixel.com.

This year, we'll be sharing booth 522 with Light & Motion. Come say hi to us at the show! We'll have all issues of Wetpixel Quarterly available, and you can check out L&M's underwater video housings and lights. :)

So... who's going to be at this year's Scuba Show?
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1570 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Wetpixel is going to Scuba Show 2009 in Long Beach, California this coming May 30-31, 2009! As usual, we are looking for a few enthusiastic volunteers to help at the booth. You'll get a free pass to the show and a free Wetpixel Quarterly aluminum collector's box. If you're interested, please contact Michaela at michaela@wetpixel.com.

Wetpixel will be sharing a booth with LAUPS (The Los Angeles Underwater Photographic Society). Come say hi to us at the show, and if you're an underwater photographer in the Los Angeles area, you can get more information about LAUPS as well. :)

So... who's going to be at this year's Scuba Show?

We (Nannette and I) are doing booth duty at the LAUPS booth on Sunday from 2-4 so we can easily do the Wetpixel thing at the same time.
BVA

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I was planning on coming over for the show but I didn't see Wetpixel on the list of exhibitors. It will be nice to see some friendly faces. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, where's the party Saturday night? :)

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, where's the party Saturday night? :)

Steve

Steve

You moved from the Nikonos to digital (finally), get with the program, you sound like a scratched CD :)

EDIT: Or a badly compressed MP3 as another option

Edited by TheRealDrew, 19 May 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hey Drew, Vinyl's not dead yet. There are still some purists around. Since we've taken this completely off topic Check this out http://www.amazon.co...&node=372989011.

Someday all those film cameras we have laying around are going to worth a lot of money. So you coming out to party with the west coast? I bet they'd let a New Yorker in for a couple of days.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

I expect all the usual suspects will gather in the Irish Pub across the street.

Someday all those film cameras we have laying around are going to worth a lot of money.
Steve

Here you go if you would like to make an investment that is likely to give your broker / bank manager / wife a heartache.
All in perfect working order fully serviced just ready to make the right investor a fortune in future gains :) :) :)

Posted Image

Edited by pmooney, 20 May 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

UPDATE: LAUPS and Wetpixel will be in booth 605. Come say hi!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#8 vetdiver

vetdiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Running, hiking, attending beer festivals, and coveting shoes and new dive gear.

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

darn it!! i'm gonna be out of town and will miss you guys - and Steve, I definitely owe you a drink for all those YS250 pep talks. next year!!

bill, am sure i'll see you this summer...still awaiting my job offer, you know :)
Canon 7D_Subal housing_ YS250 strobes

www.avitsky.com

#9 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'll be out of town too unfortunately. Steve, Eric - it would have been nice to meet you both, although I'm not sure if you are going Eric?

Edited by sgietler, 20 May 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#10 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

I will be in the Bahamas with the sharks. Wish I could go to the Long Beach show, though. I've heard great things about it...
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Wow, check out all the friendly faces at the seminars. Berkley is doing a talk and Bonnie Cardone is showing "Sex in the Sea". :) This I've got to see. Not to mention Marty Snyderman. OK where is this Irish pub?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation

#12 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

UPDATE: This year, Wetpixel will be sharing booth 522 with Light & Motion. Light & Motion will have on display their new Bluefin S10 for the Canon S10 camcorder.

"The compact Bluefin S10 features an unprecedented control set for an underwater housing by offering white-balance, exposure, gain, focus, lighting and other camcorder control directly from the Bluefin's infra-red control handles.

"The Canon S10 is destined to produce great underwater video by offering 24p, 30p and 60i recording formats imaged through Canon's large 58mm lens and 1/2.6" CMOS sensor at 24Mbps."

Come say hi to us! We'll have all issues of Wetpixel Quarterly available.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#13 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

Now that Long Beach is over I just wanted to say how much fun I had at the show. It was great to see everyone who came by the Wetpixel booth. I also got to lay my hands on all the new gear from Backscatter, Reef photo,and H2O Photo all in the same building. Our friend Jean from Aquatica was there and I got to hold the new 5D mkII housing. It sure looks and feels like a beautiful piece of equipment. Mike had the Gates Deep Red housing there and it's not as big as I expected. I think I was wrong about it needing a prop.

For me personally it was a lot of fun to peek behind the scenes at a dive show and see how hard all these people work to keep the resorts sold and the new gear coming out for us to use. The Light and Motion folks were great to share their booth with us, it was a tad crowded but Paul made it work. If you get a chance to go next year be sure and put it on your calendars if for no other reason than the great seminars they held downstairs. I got to listen to Berkley explain the seperate channel histograms (the 3rd time for me) and I think I am finally catching on. I got to meet and hear Marty Snyderman for the first time too. The really great news for the dive industry is that the place was packed both days.

I got the chance to meet a whole bunch of U/W photo and video folks who hadn't had a chance to get on or didn't know about Wetpixel. I invited them all to come and check it out so you have to be nice when they show up and ask questions. Most of all I want to thank Michaela for being my guide and taking care of me. She's an extremely impressive lady and the marketing genius behind the Wetpixel Quarterly magazine. It was a real kick to hear all the plans she has for the future. I'm coming to understand that among Eric's many skills maybe the most impressive is the ability to gather brilliant people around his endeavors.

The best part of the whole deal is now I have a shot on my wall with Bonnie (I have to go diving with this lady) and Michaela. Sorry Paul, you've been cropped.

Long_Beach_show_4.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation