8 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi guys,

I am new in the Forum and my english is not the best, sorry.

I have bought a used L&M Sunray Pro S HID very cheap and have some questions:

- I expect that sooner or later I have to replace the HID bulbs. Does anybody know a cheaper bulb than the original for 350 $? Can I replace them by myself?

- I know that the new Sunray LEDs have a system to use correction filters, same for HID? Necessary?

- There is an upgrade offer for the LED 1000, does this bring a benefit? Can I still use my old batteries?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sascha

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

Welcome Sascha

Most of the people here have english problems too... especially the english. :)

To answer your questions:

1. Every manufacturer has to source their bulbs from somewhere, most probably Welch Allyn or Osram/Sylvania. If you pull the bulb out and check the model number, you should be able to get it online. Now whether you are capable of doing that or not is entirely on your mechanical skills. :P

2. Color management is necessary for refining the look you want for video. Every light system can be corrected. I've been doing it for halogen for years and it depends on the location and image desired.

3. That's a question that's been answered somewhere in the forums do a search.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

On the bright side(no pun) when I was using the L & M HID lights, I had never once needed to replace a bulb and I used them for several years without a problem.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 nickdiver

nickdiver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Uw filmmaking, uw photo, digital video editing, marine conservation

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hi guys,

I am new in the Forum and my english is not the best, sorry.

I have bought a used L&M Sunray Pro S HID very cheap and have some questions:

- I expect that sooner or later I have to replace the HID bulbs. Does anybody know a cheaper bulb than the original for 350 $? Can I replace them by myself?

- I know that the new Sunray LEDs have a system to use correction filters, same for HID? Necessary?

- There is an upgrade offer for the LED 1000, does this bring a benefit? Can I still use my old batteries?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sascha

Hi Sasha.

I have the same HID lights, had them for years.

Yes, you can buy the HID bulb thru Welch Allyn, I've done it several times in the past years.
Cost is $230 per HID bulb, a lot less than the $350 at L&M!

Go here to order: http://www.walamp.co...891858382331020

You can change the bulb yourself, IF you're mechanically inclined and won't mind spending a couple of hours doing that. The bulb is VERY fragile, so careful when you're taking out the old one and installing the new one.
Sometimes it's trickly to pop the new bulb into the slot where the old one resides. Lubricating the sides (NOT the contacts!) of the black base of the bulb usually helps to get it to slide into place.

Also, unscrewing the light may be a bit tricky. Using a bench definitely helps. Ditto when you're screwing it back.
Also, make sure you lubricate the two o-rings inside the light, and careful with the top glass part.

I LOVE the lights, but I hate the wet connectors. They're fine if you use them a few times a year, but if you're like me and use them several times a week (given my uw film job) they're a bitch and require ultimate pampering, attention and anal-retentiveness to keep them clean. And even then, they often fail. I mention this to L&M, but (as usual), they don't care and deny the problem.

- You don't need any filters with the HIDs. They'll give you great color from the start, no need for post. When they work, or course.... (see above).

- I also looked into retrofitting my 2 HIDs and upgrade them to the LEDs. Basically, not worth the money. Also because you HAVE to change the battery pods, since the ones used with the LEDs use 3 connectors, not two like our Sunrays.

I've seen the LEDs at work, they're awesome. BUT, again, L&M is still using the old and faulty wet-connector design, which is still a major problem after a few dozen dives... Maybe good for weekend divers, but not for day to day production work. When will they learn?

My .05,

Nick
Nick Martorano - Ocean Wonders Underwater Video Productions
L&M Bluefin HD for Sony Z1U, with L&M Standard and WA lens; L&M Sunray Pro HID lighs; backup rig: L&M Bluefin 900 for Sony PD100 and L&M Standard, WA, Macro lenses; MacroMate Super Macro lens
http://www.oceanwonders.org

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

What would a set of the HIDs sell for now, assuming they were in excellent condition?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 Art99

Art99

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hi Sasha.

I have the same HID lights, had them for years.

Yes, you can buy the HID bulb thru Welch Allyn, I've done it several times in the past years.
Cost is $230 per HID bulb, a lot less than the $350 at L&M!

Go here to order: http://www.walamp.co...891858382331020

You can change the bulb yourself, IF you're mechanically inclined and won't mind spending a couple of hours doing that. The bulb is VERY fragile, so careful when you're taking out the old one and installing the new one.
Sometimes it's trickly to pop the new bulb into the slot where the old one resides. Lubricating the sides (NOT the contacts!) of the black base of the bulb usually helps to get it to slide into place.

Also, unscrewing the light may be a bit tricky. Using a bench definitely helps. Ditto when you're screwing it back.
Also, make sure you lubricate the two o-rings inside the light, and careful with the top glass part.

I LOVE the lights, but I hate the wet connectors. They're fine if you use them a few times a year, but if you're like me and use them several times a week (given my uw film job) they're a bitch and require ultimate pampering, attention and anal-retentiveness to keep them clean. And even then, they often fail. I mention this to L&M, but (as usual), they don't care and deny the problem.

- You don't need any filters with the HIDs. They'll give you great color from the start, no need for post. When they work, or course.... (see above).

- I also looked into retrofitting my 2 HIDs and upgrade them to the LEDs. Basically, not worth the money. Also because you HAVE to change the battery pods, since the ones used with the LEDs use 3 connectors, not two like our Sunrays.

I've seen the LEDs at work, they're awesome. BUT, again, L&M is still using the old and faulty wet-connector design, which is still a major problem after a few dozen dives... Maybe good for weekend divers, but not for day to day production work. When will they learn?

My .05,

Nick

#7 Art99

Art99

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

Nick

With regard to retrofitting your HIDs---

I saw this general need and developed a LED upgrade that is plug compatible with the L&M battery pods without any modifications. My first model FTECHX Classic 700 is priced at a lot less than the Sunray upgrades. It provides somewhat more than 700 lumens but I plan on making available much higher lumen output models that are similarly plug compatible and also very competitively priced.

I am very interested in your comment about the "old and faulty wet connector design". Could you be more specific about the connector issues.

Thanks,

Art
art@ftechx.com

#8 Ladygodiver

Ladygodiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

"BUT, again, L&M is still using the old and faulty wet-connector design, which is still a major problem after a few dozen dives... Maybe good for weekend divers, but not for day to day production work. When will they learn?"

Sadly, very true.

I've got a big box full of incompetently designed underwater video lights in my garage that I've had the expensive misfortune to buy over the last 15 years or so. The idiotic "ball-bearing" style switches on the Ikelites only worked intermittently...but my greatest loathing is reserved for the L&M Sunray's that I got new from their former Aussie distributor. I treat my gear carefully...but the L&M's leaked more than once at the heads and the battery pods.

After endless customer complaints about flooding issues (and warranty disputes) the Distributor gave up on L&M soon after I bought mine.

As someone else put it on another forum:

"I have had horrendous reliability problems with my Stingray 2 and Sunray lights. They have cost me an enormous amount of lost time, effort and money and I've seen others with similar problems. I would only advise a masochist to buy an L&M housing."

Edited by Ladygodiver, 22 June 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

I went over to L & M a few years ago and, yes, I had heard the stories. However, in all fairness, the improvements they have made in their designs and customer service have been tremendous. Personally, I have never had a problem or complaint.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas