• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rainer

Rainer

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone used this lens UW on a DX Nikon? Thoughts? Topside it seems as sharp (if not sharper) than the Nikon 105, and it's about 1/3 the cost. Thanks.

#2 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

Has anyone used this lens UW on a DX Nikon? Thoughts? Topside it seems as sharp (if not sharper) than the Nikon 105, and it's about 1/3 the cost. Thanks.

Not used it underwater but I can attest to the incredible quality of this lens. I use it for a lot of topside macro and it never lets me down. A great piece of glass.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1547 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I don't know about 1/3, at B&H more like 53% of the cost ($459 vs $859 for the VR lens) and you get VR with the Nikon. One issue is that the Tamron front element is quite recessed compared to the Nikon so you can't get it quite as close to the port reducing your working distance a bit.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 critter

critter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scubadiving, underwater photography, golf, camping.

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

That is the lens that I exclusively use underwater, it is extremely sharp and have not had any issues with it. The only thing you need to make sure that the auto mode has to be engaged by sliding the top of the lens forward, hard to explain. I have accidentally had it slip back when I have mounted the port of my subal on there and have gone a dive without being able to autofocus. No biggie just dive without shooting. Another point that you probably need to do with any macro lens is that it helps to have a focusing light with it. I don't have anything fancy but a couple of little flashlights mounted on my ulcs arms. This really aids in focus in dim conditions and on night dives. It's a great lens, extremely sharp. Highly recommended.

Tony
Posted Image
Posted Image
there are several images on from our recent trip on www.carroimaging.net
Tony
Life is one long surface interval