• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scuba_suzy

scuba_suzy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

Mike finally managed to process his diving video!

following him on twitter: http://twitter.com/chefdude
><(((º> www.reefbeasties.com ><(((º>

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Love the shallow shot at 53 seconds in.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 steuermann

steuermann

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Good work, I like the yellow fish swimming in front of the manta´s mouth. Any idea what species?

Marcel
www.marinevideo.eu

Edited by steuermann, 02 June 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#4 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Good work, I like the yellow fish swimming in front of the manta´s mouth. Any idea what species?

Marcel
www.marinevideo.eu

presumably a pilot jack? I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, though..... so just guessing...

#5 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

I hope constructive criticism is allowed!?!?!?

Chef...... keep your shots, short and interesting. There's so much info out there for people who don't want their videos to be identical to every other one out there. Find it, research it and then apply it... (6 seconds and cut to CU........ 6 seconds and cut to MS...... 4 seconds and back to WA, for example)

Create a story..... with a beginning, middle and an end. Individual clips (as long as that manta shot in the middle) make people to want to look away and start talking to each other.... or to go and put the kettle on... either way you lose your viewer.

Mate, you've got to get your edit tight as well - it isn't a case of merely dragging clips to a timeline and becoming rich from it...... I use the shot of the fan 3.54 as an example.... you've got 5 seconds leading up to a lovely reveal of further reef in the background.... and we come over the fan and start to appreciate the effect of the revealing shot and WAM(!) we cut to the next clip.... it doesn't make for comfortable viewing...

Video / Film etc... has a to do with manipulating optical illusions to provide what the brain is expecting to see... angles can be changed to "fake" a shot etc...... but most importantly is that - in this case with your reveal - when the brain is expecting to see further reef being exposed in the background, it jumps when it doesn't get what it expects. Leading to an uncomfortable viewing experience for the viewer.

I think that the title is a little of an unnecessary name drop. Alex's name has ended up promoting your video, and he's hardly in it! No interview, nothing - just a rather nervous looking Alex in the dingy at the beginning.

I don't get the edit at 26 seconds.... you've gone from boat to UW back to boat. It makes no storytelling sense.

Hope you appreciate the feedback, check out the internet's wealth of info and take it in! You'll see improvements in no time if you stick to Cinema's golden rules....

Cheers, Chris