6 replies to this topic

#1 TheThud

TheThud

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Guys and Girls,
I've got a set of 10 Watt Video lights that are different colors. One favors toward bluish and one favors toward yellow it looks almost like a Halogen. My equipment supplier told me that it's almost impossible to match a set. You can see the difference in the video and it's making me crazy.. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Cheers

Dan
"Who Dares Wins"
Captain Dan The Boxman
M/Y Narcosis II
Master Underwater Criminal Investigator, Master Diver, Underwater Videographer, Private Investigator and Ag Cat Driver

#2 Ladygodiver

Ladygodiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

"My equipment supplier told me that it's almost impossible to match a set."

...you were told total nonsense. A good manufacturer/supplier should have no difficulty getting HID bulbs of a consistent color temperature...and at a price that is not from La La Land.

I have bought spare 35w and 50w HID bulbs (4200 kelvin and 6000 kelvin) from an Australian UW lighting manufacturer for about $100 each. I've tested them...perfect matches re color temp. Have never needed to replace a HID bulb yet though after 100's of dives...a lot more reliable than over-voltaged halogens.

Edited by Ladygodiver, 01 June 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#3 TheThud

TheThud

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

Ladygodiver,
Thanks for the reply. Could you provide a link or some information of those bulbs and what lights you put them in? I'm an Underwater Criminial Investigator and my video has to be excellent. Anything less is not an option. L&M is selling the 21 watt bulbs for $350 and I haven't had the courage to as about the 10 watt. I like the sound of prices where you are at.

Cheers
Dan
"Who Dares Wins"
Captain Dan The Boxman
M/Y Narcosis II
Master Underwater Criminal Investigator, Master Diver, Underwater Videographer, Private Investigator and Ag Cat Driver

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

Just in case, you don't know, the bulb wattage are NOT interchangeable as the ballast are rated for each wattage for HID. Google Solarc under Welch Allyn if you want name brand parts or any number of China made Xenon bulbs can work if you know what ballast connection L&M uses. Make sure you get matching color temps and wattage. VERY important.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Ladygodiver

Ladygodiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Ladygodiver,
Thanks for the reply. Could you provide a link or some information of those bulbs and what lights you put them in? I'm an Underwater Criminial Investigator and my video has to be excellent. Anything less is not an option. L&M is selling the 21 watt bulbs for $350 and I haven't had the courage to as about the 10 watt. I like the sound of prices where you are at.

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan,

Sorry it taken me ages to reply.

My HID lights & bulbs are from HDVSEATEK (see their advert here on Wetpixel)...BUT what Drew says is very true ...be careful matching the correct bulbs/ballasts.

#6 TheThud

TheThud

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

Ladygodiver,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll check out their site.

Cheers
"Who Dares Wins"
Captain Dan The Boxman
M/Y Narcosis II

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

I'm an Underwater Criminial Investigator
Cheers
Dan

Well there's plenty of dodgy video's and images on here for you to investigate... :angry:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk