34 replies to this topic

#21 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

Hey guys -- we just launched a new product here at Wetpixel!

Renowned underwater photographer and educator Marty Snyderman, Dive Training's Contributing Editor Barry Guimbellot and Wetpixel's Eric Cheng have teamed up to create an importable keyword list designed for underwater photographers using Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture. The MarineLife Keyword List features keywords for over 12,000 species of marine wildlife, including common names, scientific names, and full taxonomy.

More information at:
http://wetpixel.com/keywords
($5 discount for Wetpixel readers)

Here's a video of me working with the keyword list:

Several people have contacted me to learn how to find images that either 1. do not have keywords attached or 2. images that have keywords, but none of our MarineLife species keywords.

In Lightroom, go to the Library module and activate the "Filter" feature above the grid image view. Use these following criteria for finding images without any keywords: TEXT--Keywords>Doesn't Contain>a,e,i,o,u.
This combination of criteria will show all images without any keywords.

To find an image that doesn't contain a species from our MarineLife Keyword list, use the following criteria to search: TEXT--Keywords>Doesn't Contain> :. (The last qualifier is a colon, without the period). Since our common name species keywords are "attached" to their genus and species with a colon, this combination of qualifers will show all images that have not had one of our MarineLife Keywords attached.

We hope this helps users find images that need keywords assigned.

Barry

#22 col

col

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Q for all LR (v2.3) users...

Not sure if this a LR quirk or (more likely) a user quirk :)

Once I have found my keyword, I have to manually select the full hierarchy (i.e. click each keyword one-by-one) instead of selecting the full hierarchy using the shift key - is there a better way I can do this like you can in Aperture?

For example - searching for "lemon sharks"...

screen_capture_1.jpg

If I select all using the shift key, LR will also add "bony fishes" to the keywords which I do not want. As such, my only work around is to click each keyword manually. Is this a LR thing?

Appreciate any help :)
Colin Lee | zenfolio/colinlee

#23 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

So when is V2.0 coming out? You know - the one with image recognition built in that automatically recognises the species in the image and adds the keywords automatically :)
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8387 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Once I have found my keyword, I have to manually select the full hierarchy (i.e. click each keyword one-by-one) instead of selecting the full hierarchy using the shift key - is there a better way I can do this like you can in Aperture?

If I select all using the shift key, LR will also add "bony fishes" to the keywords which I do not want. As such, my only work around is to click each keyword manually. Is this a LR thing?

If I want all the different lines then I do it manually. It only takes a couple of seconds to click on two or three lines, each time I do it I think of how much time I am saving not typing! Makes the clicking feel good.

The good thing is that one they are all highlighted they stay that way, even if you go into the library and start clicking on picture, making it easy to add them too all the shots you have of that subject very quickly.

So I don't have a solution for that one - but mainly because I haven't been looking for one.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#25 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Another vote for Photo Mechanic.
Also Nikon Capture NX2

Ellen

Yet another vote for Photo Mechanic
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Vote for C1 Pro.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Q for all LR (v2.3) users...

Not sure if this a LR quirk or (more likely) a user quirk :blink:

For example - searching for "lemon sharks"...

screen_capture_1.jpg

Appreciate any help :)

Collin's problem in Lighroom was that he was not initially seeing his Marine Life Keyword heirarchy showing in the "Enter Keywords" box, but when he changed the view to "Keywords and Containing" he could then see his heirarchy of keywords. Not seeing the heirarchy is by design of Lightroom to keep the "Enter Keywords" box from becoming too large.

He also had the problem that his Lightroom version 1 keywords were not showing in the "Keywords and Containing" dialog box after upgrading to version 2.XX. I pointed him to the Adobe website to download a script that solves the bug of version 1 keywords not showing in the "Keywords and Containing" box. After installing and running the script, Collin's issues with keywords were solved.

I hope this post helps someone having the same issues with Lightroom.

Barry

#28 col

col

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

Collin's problem in Lighroom was that he was not initially seeing his Marine Life Keyword heirarchy showing in the "Enter Keywords" box, but when he changed the view to "Keywords and Containing" he could then see his heirarchy of keywords. Not seeing the heirarchy is by design of Lightroom to keep the "Enter Keywords" box from becoming too large.

He also had the problem that his Lightroom version 1 keywords were not showing in the "Keywords and Containing" dialog box after upgrading to version 2.XX. I pointed him to the Adobe website to download a script that solves the bug of version 1 keywords not showing in the "Keywords and Containing" box. After installing and running the script, Collin's issues with keywords were solved.

I hope this post helps someone having the same issues with Lightroom.

Barry

Barry / Alex

Many thanks for all your help - all is well now :)

Keywording is so much easier now!

Cheers!
Colin Lee | zenfolio/colinlee

#29 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

[quote name='echeng' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:16 PM' post='215306']

Hello Everyone,
A Marine Life Keyword List user asked a question that some other people may also find confusing.

The question was why there are some multiple entries of certain species names.

For instance, in our list we have;
spot tail moray: spotted-tail moray: spotted tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis
spotted tail moray: spot tail moray: spotted-tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis
spotted-tail moray: spot tail moray: spotted tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis

These multiple entries are correct and do not need to be deleted from your list.

The entries above are all for the same species, a Gymnothroax equatorialis. If you notice, each entry starts with a different common name of the same animal.
Lightroom only "sees" the first word in a line of keywords when autofilling in the Enter Keywords box. Therefore Lightroom would not autofill the "add keyword tag line" if the species keyword was only in our list starting with spot tail moray and the user typed spotted-tail moray. You would then feel our list is incomplete.

It is our desire for users to be able to use as many of the accepted common names for an animal as we could find. We could never add EVERY possible common name for every species, especially considering how many common names are only regional, but we did make a good try to do so.

We hope this explanation helps you understand why we have redundant listings of several species.

Thanks to all of you that have purchased or responded about the list.

Happy Holidays,
Barry Guimbellot

#30 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

[quote name='echeng' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:16 AM' post='215306']

Renowned underwater photographer and educator Marty Snyderman, Dive Training's Contributing Editor Barry Guimbellot and Wetpixel's Eric Cheng have teamed up to create an importable keyword list designed for underwater photographers using Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture. The MarineLife Keyword List features keywords for over 12,000 species of marine wildlife, including common names, scientific names, and full taxonomy.

Eric just informed Marty and me that our keyword list will now work with Photo Mechanic. This information is great because we know several of you are using Photo Mechanic and are interested in the list.

Barry G.
www.marinekeywords.com

#31 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying out a Lightroom plug-in, called Any Tag, for keywording in Lightroom, that is fantastic. I luckily found the plug-in on the Adobe Exchange page, so Adobe has done the testing first.

When adding keywords in a Windows based Lightroom, one may want to assign "blue spotted jawfish" to an image , but when one hits the spacebar after blue, Lightroom starts searching all over again with the "s" letter for spotted. This feature to me is a Windows bug in Lightroom, which means users have to scroll all the way down through all their "blue" keywords until the blue spotted jawfish keyword is found.

As you can imagine, since I have over 54,000 keywords in Lightroom, there are a lot of "blue" keywords to scroll through including, “MarineLife keywords”, "Birds of North America", “Birds of the World” and soon to be released “Mammals of the World”, to find my blue spotted jawfish.

Now, all anyone has to do is type "bl" (space) "jaw", with the quotation marks omitted, and they will see Any Tags' suggestions for the proper keywords, of which there were only 3 suggestions on my machine; blue spotted jawfish, bluespotted jawfish and bluebar jawfish. Is this feature fantastic or not?

There are more features that I have yet to explore, including a very fast and accurate "Find" filter feature and letting you know you are adding a new keyword by turning the letters red for the new keyword.

Any Tag may be downloaded as a free trial at http://www.johnrelli...room/anytag.htm and will make keywording even easier with those using our extensive lists.

I highly recommend the plug-in with our keyword lists.

I have no monetary gain to suggest this plug-in, I just think it a great product to make keywording easier for everyone.

Barry
http://www.creativeillusionsphoto.com
http://www.keywordworkflow.com

#32 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8387 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Barry!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#33 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying out a Lightroom plug-in, called Any Tag, for keywording in Lightroom, that is fantastic. I luckily found the plug-in on the Adobe Exchange page, so Adobe has done the testing first.

I have been so excited about how easy the Any Tag plug-in makes keywording, I made a YouTube video showing some of the key features.

The video may be found here

I have no monetary interests with Any Tag, I just believe in the plug-in when working with the MarineLife Keyword List and want everyone's keywording to be easier.

Barry
www.creativeillusionsphoto.com
www.keywordwordflow.com

#34 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

For instance, in our list we have;
spot tail moray: spotted-tail moray: spotted tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis
spotted tail moray: spot tail moray: spotted-tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis
spotted-tail moray: spot tail moray: spotted tail moray: Gymnothorax equatorialis

These multiple entries are correct and do not need to be deleted from your list.

The entries above are all for the same species, a Gymnothroax equatorialis. If you notice, each entry starts with a different common name of the same animal.
Lightroom only "sees" the first word in a line of keywords when autofilling in the Enter Keywords box. Therefore Lightroom would not autofill the "add keyword tag line" if the species keyword was only in our list starting with spot tail moray and the user typed spotted-tail moray. You would then feel our list is incomplete.

I believe this issue is avoided if one uses the "Filter Keywords" search option (Alex's method #2) under Keyword List. In the same way that keyword entries are not duplicated to put Latin species names first, it's probably cleaner to have single entries rather than triplicate for multiple common names.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#35 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Tim - I should have a trial version online within a week, so you can give it a try before buying. Also, we're working on versions for Adobe Bridge, Microsoft Expression Media, BreezeBrowser, and Portfolio.

Any other platforms photographers out there might be interested in?

I'd be interested in a Lightroom and Bridge version. Never used Aperture myself.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.