14 replies to this topic

#1 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

Hi.

Found this link on a diveforum, and thought some here might want to see it. Think it's new to this forum since I couldn't find it while searching...

16min41sec

http://www.ted.com/t...st_animals.html

Edited by Grayscale, 14 June 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#2 JTemple

JTemple

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

And know we know exactly how and why they can break a dome port!
Cool stuff, thanks for posting that.
-Jennifer

#3 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

hey, did a Mantis shrimp break your dome port?

#4 JTemple

JTemple

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Not mine. But I've heard it has happened.
-Jennifer

#5 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:03 AM

Great link! Also explains why one of their nick-names is "thumb-cracker" - can you imagine reaching for one?!?! OUCH!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#6 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1241 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

Supposedly hits with the speed and force of a .22 cal bullet.
Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#7 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

Supposedly hits with the speed and force of a .22 cal bullet.
Jack

Well, according to the presentation the snapping speed is 20m/s. A .22 caliber bullet goes 330 m/s. The mantis shrimp, while fast, is no bullet. Similarly, I am pretty sure that a .22 cal bullet has quite a bit more energy behind it. The mass of the .22 caliber slug is between 2 and 4 grams. I don't know what the mantis shrimp smasher arm weighs, but I would be very surprised if it was this much especially since it isn't made of lead. The energy expended is 1/2 m v^2 and since both the bullet mass and velocity are higher than the shrimp, it is pretty clear that the bullet wins on all counts. Still the mantis shrimp is a very impressive creature. I really enjoyed the lecture and loved the info about the induced cavitation bubble that creates a second strike.

Another fun fact about them is that while humans have three different types of color sensors in our eyes (which gives us a three dimensional color space i.e. RGB), the mantis shrimp has 7 distinct color sensors which gives it a 7 dimensional color space. It can distinguish between many colors that look identical to us. In other words we are all extremely color-blind compared to the shrimp!

Edited by drsteve, 16 June 2009 - 10:18 PM.

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#8 reefnet

reefnet

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

Another fun fact about them is that while humans have three different types of color sensors in our eyes (which gives us a three dimensional color space i.e. RGB), the mantis shrimp has 7 distinct color sensors which gives it a 7 dimensional color space. It can distinguish between many colors that look identical to us. In other words we are all extremely color-blind compared to the shrimp!

In many ways, the mantis has the world's most complex eye. Have a look at the article "Mantis Shrimp Eye Structure and Function" at http://scubageek.com/ .

Les
ReefNet Inc. | www.reefnet.ca | 888-819-REEF or 905-608-9373

#9 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:39 AM

Very interesting video!

#10 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Awesome vid!!

"Well, according to the presentation the snapping speed is 20m/s. A .22 caliber bullet goes 330 m/s. The mantis shrimp, while fast, is no bullet. Similarly, I am pretty sure that a .22 cal bullet has quite a bit more energy behind it. The mass of the .22 caliber slug is between 2 and 4 grams. I don't know what the mantis shrimp smasher arm weighs, but I would be very surprised if it was this much especially since it isn't made of lead. The energy expended is 1/2 m v^2 and since both the bullet mass and velocity are higher than the shrimp, it is pretty clear that the bullet wins on all counts"

- I think the old "mantis vs bullet" idea came about because the mantis shrimp is underwater where its exerted force meets such heavy resistance. So above water the movement rate would be a great deal faster - No idea if it would be bullet fast though.

They've also been known to break aquarium glass on a number of occasions!

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#11 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

That was cool but I thought that the 22 analogy was for another crustacean that snapped its claw together creating a percussion which would render pray unconscious.....can't recall the name though.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#12 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Really interesting, thanks for posting :nea:
No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#13 jonhanson

jonhanson

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:39 AM

Interesting video. I also liked the scuba geek article.
nikon D300 - seatool ND300 - 2 x inon Z240 - nikon 10.5mm FE - tokina 10-17mm FE - nikon 105mm VR.
flickr photos

#14 S.Honig

S.Honig

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

That was cool but I thought that the 22 analogy was for another crustacean that snapped its claw together creating a percussion which would render pray unconscious.....can't recall the name though.

I think you were thinking about pistol shrimps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

#15 melia01

melia01

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

WOW that video presentation is incredible! great science!