• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 DDT uk

DDT uk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

Whilst I really wouldn't want to comment on the use of flashes on seahorses, having photographed the turtles at Abu Dabbab many times I can honestly say that they have never shown any indication of being bothered by flashes. In fact, apart from snorklers trying to ride them, I have never really seen them bothered by anything.

In terms of the dugong, I understand it that he is very rarely ever seen their any more and bearing in mind the mobs that surround him when he does, blaming strobes is a bit rich.

A group of us were at ELphinestone photographing the oceanics a couple of weeks ago and we certainly never saw any reaction to our flashes, nor were we told to avoid their use.

I would write to Emperor and tell them that if they do not welcome photographers or the use of flash guns they should make it clear so that photographer make exercise their judgement as to whether they should use their services.

Daniel

#22 wizbowes

wizbowes

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

...who agreed to go out for a 45 minute afternoon [dive] and then f****d off for an hour

The only reason I would do a 45 min. dive is for no deco or equipment malfunction.

Then don't sign up for 45 minute dives and everyone will be happy.

#23 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Then don't sign up for 45 minute dives and everyone will be happy.

Remind us where you work so I can avoid inconveniencing you.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#24 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Long ago I realised that having to go through the pain of ingratiating myself to dives guides is just not worth the gain. So now, I don't...

In my diving career I have amassed sufficient relationships with a number of selected dive operations and guides. One I like in particular... "and Tim will be diving with me" announces the guide to the group. The first and last time we clap eyes on each other will be on the dive deck. My buoy often goes up half a mile from the group... That's a guide I can relate to and one which receives a generous tip.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#25 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

Woody, try to watch the Malapascua episode of Monty Hall's Great Ocean Adventures and see what Monty's personal guide and resident Filipino photo-pro Gutsy Tuason is doing - strobes a popping while snapping away at Threshers... But then for us mere mortals, all the dive shops in Malapascua will forbid flash :)

Hey pakman! It was also filmed on "top 10 places in the world to swim with sharks" last weekend...bright as daylight under there..with their lights a gleeming!
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#26 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

Woody, try to watch the Malapascua episode of Monty Hall's Great Ocean Adventures and see what Monty's personal guide and resident Filipino photo-pro Gutsy Tuason is doing - strobes a popping while snapping away at Threshers... But then for us mere mortals, all the dive shops in Malapascua will forbid flash :)

Is this a new rule in Malapascua? I had not been prevented from bringing strobes on the Monad Shoals dives (but this was last time in 2005). The only reason I didn't have my strobes popping away at threshers, was that there never were any threshers on those 5-5:30am departures from the dock.

#27 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

I either read it on exotics website about a year ago, or got it from them by email, their site has changed now and cannot find any mention there, and dont have the emails from them anymore.
I googled thresher and flash and malapascua and found a mention of another diver who couldnt use his flash in 2005
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#28 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

I'm not sure what to say on this topic since I haven't really read anything scientific about this.

Even then I don't think the same rules would apply to ALL animals. It's also a bit pretentious to think that all manner of underwater creatures don't give care or are affected at all. I doubt it'd be as simple as that. The kind of animal, sensitivity of it's eyes, it's metabolism, distance from strobes, the power of strobes, and god knows what else would probably be factors.

I think it's best until we do know for sure to just not, I dunno, overdo it.

We wouldn't shoot a cat's portrait mere feet from it's face with huge dual strobes for half an hour now would we.

edit: Although I do suppose if the cat were that bothered it'd just run away or claw your face off...

Edited by Hani Amir, 01 July 2009 - 09:53 AM.

#29 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

We wouldn't shoot a cat's portrait mere feet from it's face with huge dual strobes for half an hour now would we.

Yes. I shot ads for Whiskas catfood for many years and used around 24,000j of flash each time. How many joules out of an Inon? 40?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#30 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yes. I shot ads for Whiskas catfood for many years and used around 24,000j of flash each time. How many joules out of an Inon? 40?

Thus spoke Zaranthrastra...

Edited by Timmoranuk, 01 July 2009 - 12:12 PM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#31 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thus spoke Zaranthrastra...

Who?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#32 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

... 24,000j of flash each time...

:)
24 kJ would boil a small cat, so I presume that it wasn't all aimed directly at the animal....
:clapping:

Tim

:P

#33 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

Who?

Bugger. My Typo... Thus spoke Zananthrustra

Here's a quickie...

Edited by Timmoranuk, 01 July 2009 - 12:32 PM.

#34 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

Hi Hani

Just to say firstly aloo kineh!!!???? and secondly to say am just back from the maldives- where I was asked by a guide not to 'flash' a cave containing 3 resting nurse sharks.
(I confess I did flash a nurse shark on a previous dive in a cave- and she didnt seem to mind at the time)

I was not happy about this-I mean there were three big specimens-and the shot would've been super but I respected his wish as he is a big fan of sharks, and he was bigger than me.

When I thought about it under there- I think he was justified - cause the sharks may have become very agitated in the confine space- but having said that I have seen images of resting sharks in caves taken with flash.

Big difference between flashing a shark in a cave, and a seahorse.

How about thoughts on this one-anyone???

I'm not sure what to say on this topic since I haven't really read anything scientific about this.

Even then I don't think the same rules would apply to ALL animals. It's also a bit pretentious to think that all manner of underwater creatures don't give care or are affected at all. I doubt it'd be as simple as that. The kind of animal, sensitivity of it's eyes, it's metabolism, distance from strobes, the power of strobes, and god knows what else would probably be factors.

I think it's best until we do know for sure to just not, I dunno, overdo it.

edit: Although I do suppose if the cat were that bothered it'd just run away or claw your face off...

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#35 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

I flashed a nurse shark in a cave once - off of west palm beach. It woke up and charged out of the cave past me - so obviously was affected by either my being there, or the flash. I think it was the flash, as a shot that I had taken from farther away didn't bother it, but who knows...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#36 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

I can definitely say that the noise of the camera and the lens iris (eye) opening and closing does more to startle an animal than the flash. At Cocos, I lay in a cleaning station with a CCR. If I didn't move I could photograph any hammerhead that came up to my dome port without being seen (with flash). If I moved one iota (enough to reframe a picture), the animals noticed me and became skittish.

If you are really worried about the effect on the animal, get out of the water. You shouldn't even be there - especially if you are exhaling bubbles and causing precipitations as you do so. As for the boat you came there in...or the aeroplane...Maybe we should start by worrying about man's inhumanity to man.

If you live in a fascist country, you probably think being bossed about by ignorant people is normal.

Edited by John Bantin, 01 July 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#37 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

Here's a picture I took last week (10mm). It was one of thirty. The grouper stayed where it was.

Attached Images

• _DSC2960.jpg

#38 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

Here's another taken on the same dive. The baracudas were not phased.

Attached Images

• _DSC3004.jpg

#39 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Is this a new rule in Malapascua? I had not been prevented from bringing strobes on the Monad Shoals dives (but this was last time in 2005). The only reason I didn't have my strobes popping away at threshers, was that there never were any threshers on those 5-5:30am departures from the dock.

We were out there last year and Thresher Shark Divers had that rule. Same with Exotic when I used then 1 or 2 years earlier. Of course it didn't stop those with PnS' who forgot to turn off their internal strobes... but a big no no for Mr. DSLR with two strobes... :)

Threshers are supposedly quite timid and you would think they are light sensitive with those big eyes. But if I recall that Monty Hall episode, I don't recall the thresher that Gutsy was shooting with strobes getting spooked...

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#40 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

In my diving career I have amassed sufficient relationships with a number of selected dive operations and guides. One I like in particular... "and Tim will be diving with me" announces the guide to the group. The first and last time we clap eyes on each other will be on the dive deck. My buoy often goes up half a mile from the group... That's a guide I can relate to and one which receives a generous tip.

German girl called Pia by any chance ?

One of the best in the Red Sea (IMHO).

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures