• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:12 AM

That reason went out the door with Getty, Alamy and MS going nuts on stock images. If every picture taken was of a new species or at least a new stage of development of an established species, I'd buy that. Otherwise, it's just another justification to get what we want :D

Jeez Drew you're tough. I do think there is some trickle down effect on a local level from individuals like us 'hobbyists'. For example my kids are much more aware of ocean conservation issues as a result of my interest, which results directly from my activities as a diver and photographer. I'm pretty certain this is what has prompted my daughter to pursue marine biology at college.
It's no different from the concept of hikers being concerned about conservation, or even hunters for that matter. (Though I still struggle with that argument).
Now whether we make up for our carbon footprint in getting to these exotic places or not is another matter.
I've said it before, probably the only folks who are beyond reproach are folks like the Aborigines or the Amish, who decline modern amenities and technology even when it's available to them.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#82 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

Hi Drew,

Fair points .......and I think you have inspired me....

I'm going to sell my equipment on ebay...give up underwater photography....and stay at home....as its too much of an environmental and fiscal impact.

Hey-its all been done to death at this stage hasnt it???

Damo

ps. As a show of solidarity- would you like to do likewise?
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#83 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Emperor's new advice to divers:

So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

All's well that ends well.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#84 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:00 AM

So the next time you dive with us remember to keep a respectful distance as not to interfere with the natural behaviour of the animals, watch where you put your fins when taking pictures and if it looks like you are disturbing the subject with you flash just back off a bit.

How very sensible :D
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#85 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Hi Drew,

Fair points .......and I think you have inspired me....

I'm going to sell my equipment on ebay...give up underwater photography....and stay at home....as its too much of an environmental and fiscal impact.

Hey-its all been done to death at this stage hasnt it???

Damo

ps. As a show of solidarity- would you like to do likewise?

Damo
There are many ways to reduce your environmental impact. Plus even if you sepuku, you're still not neutral yet. Obviously many of those ways cost money and time but are very worthwhile. Let's not bring out the shovels yet. :D

See? They must've read the thread. ;)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#86 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi Drew,

So I take it you wont be joining me on Ebay then? I was so hoping you'd join me and make that stand for strobe blind pygmy sea horses everywhere :(

Completely agree with Emperor's directions- brilliant- I couldn't have put it better myself.
So much so I think I'll stencil same to my mask.

Now- if only we could sort out the stage fright sharks in the Monads? Or the dazzled threshers in malapascua???? or those goggle eyed sperm whales????

:D
;)

;)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#87 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

Damo and John
I think you'll get a kick out of this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=31463

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#88 marshalljones

marshalljones

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

I think it's best until we do know for sure to just not, I dunno, overdo it.

#89 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

... I am a more complex animal than a pygmy seahorse...

Would you agree to a DNA test to prove that? Look at the similarities:

vertebrate (your gear reviews are never spineless)
two eyes (and photographs to prove it)
marine (ditto)

To an average Martian, I'd guess that you look pretty much the same as a pygmy seahorse...

Tim

PS All of the Americans that I have dived with this year, from novices to one of Stan Waterman's gofers, have been friendly, enthusiastic and absolutely fine in the water...

... and definitely up for 60-minutes plus!

#90 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2135 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:07 AM

Thank heavens! I took my first serious images with a Nik V on a trip with Emperor, and I wouldn't want to have to give up on them...

Tim

#91 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Does it lok like I was "interfering" with this guy? Does he look "disturbed"?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And if I got that Dyron fisheye, I would have to be even closer!?
No mention on their reply about the Longimaanus no flash rule then that they tell you about just before you get wet?
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#92 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:23 AM

Does it lok like I was "interfering" with this guy? Does he look "disturbed"?

This green turtle was so disturbed it nervously tucked into a lengthy meal of seagrass while the male octopus was so disturbed it spent 40 minutes shagging the female!

Attached Images

• _DSC0039.jpg
  • _DSC4093.jpg

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#93 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Nice shots!!
I think this could be a new topic for POTW contest....Blinded by the light...or scared by the flash...or Warning this film contains flash photography, why dont we just have a sticker on our housings warning the fish that if they suffer from Epileptic fits, look the other way!?

Sorry I'll stop :D
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#94 Scubaskeeter

Scubaskeeter

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Two recent examples:
http://www.divernet...._dont_care.html
http://www.divernet....eacon_rock.html

They are not affected by the flash as their reactions are quicker than ours. They merely see a gentle pulse of light. Ignorance is man's greatest passion. I was in the Caribbean with another wetpixeller last week when we fell foul of a silly dive guide trying to enforce sillier rules. I put them right in no uncertain terms, which impressed some others on the boat!

Hi John,

I really liked your batfish shot, I've never seen those color variations before, excellent light and focus, just perfect.

I tend to agree with most of the posters here about the strobes. I would add that too much light is disturbing to the smaller creatures but causing them to move or swim is worse because that costs them energy, and small critters do not have the stamina of a dolphin!

Regard,
Scott

#95 PeeBee

PeeBee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography<br />IT<br />Cabinet making<br />Travel<br />Reading

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

I was in Sodwana Bay, South Africa last February and we were privileged to dive 1/4 mile reef the anual temporary home to prgenant Raggies. We were all asked not to use strobes as there seemed evidence that a lot of strobes firing made them nervous. As it happened, as I rolled off the boat my shutter lever caught on a rope and pulled off, Arriving at the sea bed as the 1st curious Raggie came toward me I carefully set the white balance then raised the camera, framed the shot and my index finger waggled up and down where the lever should have been :)
Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day
Teach a hungry man to fish and he will buy a bad hat
Talk to a hungry man about fishing and you are a consultant.

Safe diving
71 sea dives this year ..... so far.

Pete

#96 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:44 AM

At least here in Egypt where I am at the moment, there is no danger that THIS COFFEE MIGHT BE HOT!

#97 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

I'm just back from a Egypt trip when CJ and I had a day with Emperor at the Marina Lodge. Both our rigs had a couple of Z-240's hanging off them and did not attract any comment from Emperor staff either at reception or on the day boat. But unfortunately the 'Emperor Experience' was crap for other reasons...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230