• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

Phil just posted his comparison of 5 waterproof cameras, the Canon D10, the Fuji Z33, the Oly 6000 and Oly 8000, and the Pentax W60850:

http://www.dpreview....aterproofgroup/

What are your thoughts? Does this sway anyone one way or another?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Phil just posted his comparison of 5 waterproof cameras, the Canon D10, the Fuji Z33, the Oly 6000 and Oly 8000, and the Pentax W60850:

What are your thoughts? Does this sway anyone one way or another?

Cheers
James

I am not a huge fan of snorkeling, but do some shallow sites from time to time, so the two cameras that go to 33' are something that are mildly interesting. Looks like the Canon is better in image and performance than the Oly from what they say, so perhaps more as a boat camera or toting around in bad weather. Still not sold yet on any of them though. I have taken shots on the boat with my housed cameras and do it more for fun than anything and they work for what I am looking for when shooting that way, and for walking around I throw my G9 in my pocket if I do not want to carry a dSLR. Would pick up a cheap Canon housing for that before getting any of these... yet.

When they start getting the performance a bit better and when they start getting waterproof a bit deeper (maybe because I go to places where the usual shallow dives hit 60 feet or so) then I would grab one I think. As we have seen, things are updated so often that perhaps that will be happening in the not too distant furture.

#3 ktwse

ktwse

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

I wouldn't trust just a single source for these tests... Imaging Resource places the Oly above the D10 (conclusion here: http://www.imaging-r.../FIS/FITSA9.HTM ) and the premier Swedish photo magazine arrived at the same conclusion, ending up recommending the Tough 8000.

Incidentally, the IR opinion on the Tough 6000 mirror my own experience as well, I found it excruciatingly slow to focus and get the shot, ending up selling it after just one trip.

Maybe it's because I still use compacts (the DX-2G right now), but I don't see any point in having a waterproof camera without a housing as a diver. I usually keep the compact in its housing during days and for snorkelling/freediving can just take the housing from the strobe arms and go with that. For having a rugged camera that can put up with a little bit of water and a bit of cold, my Pentax K-7 will certainly be enough (I don't tend to drop cameras...).

Given people's experiences with taking the predecessor to the Tough 8000 to about 130 ft maybe Oly should go ahead and rate a camera for that kind of depth, then it certainly would make a difference!

Thomas

#4 primus.3a

primus.3a

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Until now I had 7 UW compact cameras: 5 Pentax W cameras (WP,W10,W20,W30 and W60) and 2 Olympus SW (720 and 1030). At the moment I'am using Panasonic DMC-FT1, which (by my criteria) is the best. iA mode, UW mode and image stabilisation are simply the best in UW P&S camera segment, also AVCHD movies are awesome good.

FT1 pics: http://public.fotki....ves-meedhuppar/
FT1 movies: http://www.youtube.c...B4522D37F769971

#5 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

The depth rating severely limits the use of the cameras. They would be ok for snorkeling, or just kicking around in a pool, but I don't see any real valu for diving.

#6 Paul79UF

Paul79UF

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

Until now I had 7 UW compact cameras: 5 Pentax W cameras (WP,W10,W20,W30 and W60) and 2 Olympus SW (720 and 1030). At the moment I'am using Panasonic DMC-FT1, which (by my criteria) is the best. iA mode, UW mode and image stabilisation are simply the best in UW P&S camera segment, also AVCHD movies are awesome good.

I'm looking for one of these cameras now for snorkeling / beach / kayaking duty.

What do you think of the newer Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2?

Posted Image

Looks pretty sharp. I want to replace my really old Canon SD700 with bulky underwater case.

#7 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

I used this review to finally justify pulling the trigger on the Nikon  AW110. I wanted something primarily for rafting, kayaking, skiing and beach photos and light duty snorkeling. I absolutely will not take a DSLR near the beach/sand, something that ultimately was the undoing of even this camera. And I need something pockatable and quick for watersports. Manual control is cool but just gets in the way when trying to snap photos from a kayak. I have a Canon S100 already. 

Technically, the TG2 would probably be the best for snorkeling and a backup to the DSLR rig with its larger aperture, limited manual control and add-on WA lens, but the $150 extra cost on the Oly plus better GPS and wifi made me choose the Nikon. The review gave one more point to the Nikon, even though I'm sure the Oly IQ is better, this was all the cognitive dissonance I needed.  

I'm not sorry. The IQ is fine. Lots of keepers. It's fun to shoot and throw it in the beach bag. The GPS is astounding. Amazing placemark database and very good worldwide maps. Ability to upload photos to the iphone to post to facebook on vacation using the same app I use for the D600 is handy. 60 ft. rating means I could technically take it on dives. I've used it on ski trips since and I feel better about whipping it out in a snowstorm than I do with the S100. 

Ultimately, the first model I had failed. About halfway through the trip and after about 10 snorkeling trips I noticed water fogging the rear LCD and a few drops inside the battery door. I left It open in the hotel room to dry out overnight, but then the screen stopped working. It seems to be a fairly common problem with these according to the reviews on Amazon. Not just the Nikon but any of these in the test. I exchanged it at COSTCO and they gave me a new one plus $25 as the price had dropped still farther in the 3 weeks I had it. I suspect that fine sand in the seal was the culprit. In the future I will do more to protect it from sand. But given that beach use it the whole point of these, I'm glad I didn't spend $150 more on the Oly and very glad to have COSTCOs return policy. 

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85