• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 04:56 AM

Hello, is this X-drive II good for file storage and backup. I don't have and don't want a Laptop. so is the X-drive good en reliable for storage and backup for compactflashcards. I am going for south africa (protea banks) to see some sharks I have two 512 mb Compactflashcards and I want to have backup in case the compactflashcard is broken. Is there anyone who has experience with this x-drive?

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 05:48 AM

Eric has experience w/ the X-drive, but he is out of town right now.

I have the Image Tank, and now the Image Tank G2 - which are made by the same company as the Xdrive. They are reliable and the Image Tank G2 will tell you how many files have been copied so that you can verify you got them all.

Here's where I got mine, so you can compare the various products:

http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/

Bottom line: Without a color LCD to see the shots once they are on the storage drive - I would recommend making two copies of each card every time you do a backup if the shots are really important to you.

But the drives DO work and I have never lost an image - yet.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Rob Esaw

Rob Esaw

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 07:24 PM

I bought the Xs-drive II recently and tried it in Punta Cana. I got the kind you put your own HD into, but I'm sure they are the same.

I had no problems. I had put a 15 Gb drive, and found I could get about 10, 5 minute transfers on a charge with my 192 Mb card.

The issue is you don't get to look at you shots once you download and delete your card, you cant view them until you get to a pc.

If you have a faster card than me (12x), then you could probably transfer more data on a charge.

I think it's a great system if you are really tight on space, though it' might be worth it to wait for one of the color display units that handle MP3s, video, etc.