• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Durmphoto

Durmphoto

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

This is kind of strange and sad story, but interesting nonetheless.

I have made a living in the nature photo biz for nearly twenty years, but I have NO experience shooting underwater.

My sister recently made a bid on one of those abandoned storage units, that are becoming quite common. All she could see were lots of boxes (you are only allowed to glimpse in the door). Turns out it is jam packed with diving gear, and a lot of old still film gear (and some video gear also). Most of the gear has never been used, and is still contained in original boxes.

She asked me to handle the photo gear and sort it out. I have been having a great time too. Just to give you and idea - the photo gear filled my suburban - no easy feat.

There are lots of nikonos stuff (not worth much I know), but these include complete, never used kits with lenses and strobes. There are also several close up kits, and ikelight strobes. The list goes on.

Most of this stuff I can figure out, but I have a few things I can't.

My hope was to post a few photos of the mystery items, and you folks could let me know if it is junk, or some fabulous piece of archaic gear.

This first item I can find very little about. It is an ocean eyes nikon f3 deep water housing. When I popped it out of the case, it has a pristine nikon f3 inside. Also 15mm, 16mm, 20mm and 24mm lenses.

It does not appear to have ever been in water. Not a scratch on it.

I am totally having a gadget geek out. How rare is this thing? Should I put in in a display case, or would there be a market for it on ebay?

feel free to email me at michael@durmphoto.com

Also feel free to tell me if this is inappropriate for this forum. If so, I will not post again.

Cheers

Michael Durham

Attached Images

• 71709_2.jpg
  • 71709_3.jpg
  • 71709_4.jpg
  • 71709_5.jpg

Edited by Durmphoto, 17 July 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:34 AM

Hi Michael,

I'd stick it on e-bay. This stuff has no value for active use (in the same way that you don't see many guys shooting professional sports with F3s these days), but considering the condition then it could appeal to some collectors. And the best way to find them is through eBay or the classifieds on Wetpixel.

The collecting market for underwater cameras is not that strong. The most valuable stuff tends to be that with provence of being used on certain projects. Such as colour coded and used my the Cousteau team on the Calypso. Most other items can still be found fairly easily for free or in bulk lots as you got this.

For this reason it is very difficult to price, which is why an ebay auction could work best, if there are two people out there who want it.

This does look like it is is excellent condition and therefore could appeal to collectors.

Hope that this helps,

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

Old Junk. I should know - I've got a ton of it!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

P/M sent
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.