4 replies to this topic

#1 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

I am heading off to Borneo soon, and am going to do some wide angle ( Nikon f80, 16mm fish eye ). Are there any filters which I should use for wide angle, or nothing at all.

Advice appreciated.

new wide angle photographer

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 06:23 AM

The 16mm fisheye takes gels only. You shouldn't combine strobes and filters/gels especially starting out. If you are using ambient light only, then try a CC30M or CC30R for shallow water (< 25 feet) and a CC50M for deeper water. For deeper water you're best off adding a warming gel (85C, 85, or 85B) in addition to the CC50M but installing both can be tricky. Since you're using film, it's best to be conservative with the filters since the film will always retain the red cast if you use too much.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:10 AM

Craig is on the money with his advice. Best not to combine filters with strobes. But can be nice with available light on film.

Remember to have the sun behind you and shoot with a horizontal or even slightly downward camera angle. Oh, and make sure your own shadow isn't in the shot. I have made that mistake 1000s of times! Often best close to midday when the sun is nice and high.

A simple way to start is in waist deep water (such as on top of the reef at Sipadan?) where just a 5CC or 10CC filter will be nice. Here is an example shot taken with the 16mm and F100 in G Cayman a few weeks ago. I used a 10CC Red on the back of the lens (cut out and placed in the filter holder). Film EBX 100.

Alex

Posted Image

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 08:18 AM

Thanks.

Gel ? I have 3 filters supplied with the Nikon 16 mm lens. It has these bayonet filters which are made of glass. ( not like the sigma 16mm which has these things u need to cut) . Thanks for the advice about filter and strobes, and it looks like only to be used with natural light.

Will try to find the nikon equivalent

#5 Andi Voeltz

Andi Voeltz

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography, Rollerblading, Swimming, Travel

Posted 27 August 2003 - 10:52 AM

Another brilliant shot Alex! :rolleyes:

Cannot wait to go Stingray Station / Alternatives in a few days.
find a housing for your digicam! oOo. http://www.digideep.com .oOo.
market overview of the essential equipment for digital uw photography