New Final Cut Pro Studio

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:22 AM

New Final Cut Studio has been announced, semi bu-ray burning, but not really authoring. 4K supported natively in Color

Final Cut

List of New Features

Edited by TheRealDrew, 23 July 2009 - 06:33 AM.

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hmmm I thought it would be a bit later at Siggraph.
Anyhow, Pro Res Proxy is great for working on laptops in the field for dailies and basic first cuts. I thought they'd add BD in the latest Macs then have FCS3 come out to support. I guess the market isn't ready yet. :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

Knew it was coming... definitely time to upgrade from 5.1.4!!!!

I'll probably wait a couple of months so they iron out the bugs though.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#4 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

The great thing is the new suite will retail for only $999...and ALL previous HD users can upgrade their suite for only $299!!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

The great thing is the new suite will retail for only $999...and ALL previous HD users can upgrade their suite for only $299!!

When I think what I paid for Final Cut 2 and DVD SP 1 and .... :D

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

I know it great.... it's just going to be the new Mac Pro that is going to bend me over!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#7 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

As if I need another push, Eric Cheng came by the shop today. His Macbook Pro looked really great on my desk. I was hoping he might leave it behind, but alas, it looks like I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and actually pay for one.
I have always used PC's and have always used Adobe Premiere for editing.

Anything I should expect out of final Cut that I won't get from Premiere?
Joe Holley

#8 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

reliability!! (well thats from the Mac vs. PC). Hahahaha Finally Joe!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Anyone with an academic version will not be able to buy the upgrade. This has always been the case.
What I am most looking forward to is seeing how it will be speeded up by the release of Snow Leopard in Sept. The CPUs will be much better utilized and, hopefully, renders and such will be blazing. Time to sell the 3GHz dual core I guess, its ancient at one year old.
Jonny, you're being smart. Let suckers like myself who have to use the latest and greatest suffer with the bugs.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

Apple just sent me the new Final Cut studio NFR and now I have a long install to look forward to. First order of business was to order yet another 1 terabyte external so I can do a complete back up of both the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro systems and then the fun begins. The new studio will not take away Live Type for those that use it, which I never really do.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#11 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

Apple just sent me the new Final Cut studio NFR and now I have a long install to look forward to. First order of business was to order yet another 1 terabyte external so I can do a complete back up of both the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro systems and then the fun begins. The new studio will not take away Live Type for those that use it, which I never really do.
Steve

Yeah got my copies also (bought them though the first day. NFR sounds good :) ) Heard the install is about 4 hours. Figure I will nuke one of my laptops and start off there to see any little glitches it may have before trying to use it for real :drink: BTW, you may want to poke around for the 1.5 Terrabyte drives, the price has dropped, I am picking them up on sale @ about $100 a pop.

Edited by TheRealDrew, 29 July 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

While I have always used the G tech or Lacies, they have been climbing in price. Ken Stone said these drives are great and that's good enough for me so I ordered the 1 terabyte which I will use for system back up only. http://eshop.macsale...A_FW800_FW400_U

One thing that surprised me with the Studio NFR is that it is like the Academic version and can not be upgraded so in 2 years when the next Studio is released they will have to send me the full version of that as well. Assuming, that is, that I am still in the game.

Ken Stone had no problems installing Studio on one computer but then the next forgot to ask him to insert the DVD Studio Pro disc so he went and reinstalled it and all is well. Maybe it didn't ask because there are no changes to DVD Studio Pro. I will wait till next week and do the install after I have done the complete system backup once the new drive gets here.

So far, it appears that the Pro Res 4444 is great for those using the Red One and for those trying to save some space, it would take a discerning eye to see the difference between Pro Res 422 and Pro Res LT with the Lt taking up less room with smaller file sizes. Burning Blu Rays appears to be an easy process and several have had success with it and no bugs popping up yet. We'll see if that holds up with Snow Leopard
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#13 fcputj88

fcputj88

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hey there,

I'm new to Wetpixel forums so please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask... There's this big webinar tomorrow and I'm not sure if I need to jump on Final Cut Pro 7 release before attending. I've asked around a few FCP groups and haven't gotten a response. I guess it doesn't matter either way since the event is free but wanted to see if anyone knew or was attending. It's run by FCP author Diana Weynand over at Promax http://www.proMax.com/FinalCutPro7 ??

thanks,
thomas

#14 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hey there,

I'm new to Wetpixel forums so please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask... There's this big webinar tomorrow and I'm not sure if I need to jump on Final Cut Pro 7 release before attending. I've asked around a few FCP groups and haven't gotten a response. I guess it doesn't matter either way since the event is free but wanted to see if anyone knew or was attending. It's run by FCP author Diana Weynand over at Promax??

thanks,
thomas

You may just want to contact the people running the webina instead of announcing the webinar on different FCP groups. Would seem to make more sense, no?

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

I will be on line for it. Diana writes the Peachpit Press Apple Training book that is used for the FCP certification test. I might be interesting and, if not, I can just go offline
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#16 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Sat in for all of it...just a basic overview of some of the new features..no biggie
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas