• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

I have agreed with Ocean Frontiers to add a second workshop week in Grand Cayman in January 2010.

Dates: 23th-31st January, price from $2,175 USD (excluding flights).

This workshop is themed on light, with the title Understanding, capturing and controlling both strobe and available light underwater and is limited to 12 photographers. We will dive on Grand Cayman's dramatic walls, the East End's atmospheric caverns, fishy shallow reefs and at Stingray City. There will be the traditional dawn stingray shoot to photograph the unique stingray schooling behaviour in the perfect light for both colour and black and white images. We will also aim for encounters with Caymans larger creatures such as turtles, tarpon and reef sharks.

You can see a gallery of the participants images from the 2009 event here.

The Workshop is limited to just 12 photographers, which provides plenty of time for image critique and also includes a 1:1 pool session to refine wide angle lighting. The course also includes lectures on both using ambient light and strobes on their own and together in balanced light images, interactive image review sessions and photographic diving.

The workshop costs $2,175 USD (excluding flights) for 7 nights accommodation at the luxurious Compass Point Resort, workshop, 6 days of diving, social evenings, rental car and high speed Wi-Fi.

There is also a thread here on Wetpixel sort of live from the week last year, although I can't find it at the moment.

Format similar to last year, I have just made a couple of adjustments to the program to give a bit more time off. It used to be a bit full on at times. We have our own boat, so all our diving is tailored specifically for photography. We tend to repeat a handful of the most spectacular and productive dive sites, rather than try and see them all. Dive times are usually about 1 hour, as the walls are relatively deep, although on one of the shallow sites on this year's workshop I did 123 minutes (2 hours). We dive as a loose group, so you are free to find your own space.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#2 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

Alex,

I've signed up for the first week. Looking forward to meeting you and learning a lot about underwater photography.

My biggest decision is whether to bring my old and well used D70s and Subal Housing or to dig into the wallet and get a Subal housing for my D300 :drink:

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hey Ellen,

I can't answer that one. Most of the subjects in Cayman don't necessarily need a D300, but then a dedicated photo week is always a good time to run-in a new camera.

Alex

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:48 AM

Just an update. Week 1 full. Week 2 has 5 places remaining.

Alex