• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Nikon has announced the update to the D300, by adding an "S", dual card slots (CF and SD) and 720p video and more speed to give us the D300s. The most important thing for manufacturers and underwater shooters alike is that there is a slight change in the back. This is probably to accomodate the new video function and dual card slot:
D300s back
Posted Image

Old D300 back
Posted Image

D300s Specs:
Image Sensor FormatDX

Image Sensor TypeCMOS

Sensor Size 23.6 x 15.8mm

Total Pixels13.1 million

Effective Pixels12.3 million

Image Area (pixels)

DX-format
(L) 4,288x2,848
(M) 3,216x2,136
(S) 2,144x1,424

Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution7 frames per second

Continuous Shooting Options
DX-format
CH: Up to 7 frames per second
CL: Up to 6 frames per second

LCD Monitor Size3 in. diagonal

LCD Monitor TypeSuper Density

LCD Monitor Resolution920,000 Dots

LCD Monitor Angle of View170-degree wide-viewing angle

LCD Monitor AdjustmentsBrightness, 7 levels

Shutter typeElectronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane

Slowest Shutter Speed30 sec. in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

Fastest Shutter Speed1/8000 sec. in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

Bulb Shutter SettingYes

Mirror Lock UpYes

Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity200 in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity3200 in steps of 1/3,1/2,1 EV

Expanded ISO Sensitivity Options
Lo-1 (ISO 100 equivalent) in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

Hi-1 (ISO 6400 equivalent) in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV

Storage MediaCompactFlash© (Type I/II, compliant with UDMA), SD, SDHC

File FormatUncompressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW)
Compressed 12/14-bit NEF (RAW, Lossless compressed): approx. 60-80 percent
JPEG: JPEG-baseline-compliant; can be selected from Size Priority and Optimal Quality
TIFF (RGB)

File SystemCompliant with DCF 2.0
DPOF
EXIF 2.21
Pict Bridge

Exposure ModesProgrammed Auto (P) with Flexible Program
Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
Aperture-Priority Auto (A)
Manual (M)

Exposure Metering System1,005-pixel RGB sensor 3D Color Matrix Metering II
Variable Center-weighted
Spot

Metering Range1) 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering); 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)

Exposure Meter CouplingCPU
AI

Exposure Compensation±5EV in increments of 1/3
1/2

Exposure LockYes

Exposure BracketingYes
2-9 frames, in increments of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV

Shutter Release ModesContinuous low-speed [CL] mode; 1-7 frames-per-second
1) Single frame [S] mode 2) Continuous low speed [CL] mode: 1 to 7 frames per second (note 1) 3) Continuous high-speed [CH] mode: 8 frames per second (note 1) , 7 frames per second (note 2) 4) LiveView [LV] mode 5) Quiet shutter-release [Q] 6) Self-timer mode 7) Mirror-up [Mup] mode Note 1. When using EH-5a/EH-5 AC Adapter or MB-D10 Multi-Power Battery Pack with batteries other than EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Note 2. When using EN-EL3e Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (When shooting in Continuous-servo AF ©, Shutter-Priority Auto [S] or Manual [M] exposure modes, at a shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster with other settings at default)

Movie ModesMovie with sound
HD 1280 x 720/24 fps VGA 640 x 424/24 fps QVGA 320 x 216/24 fps

Movie AudioBuilt-in microphone, monaural
Optional external stereo mini-pin jack (3.5mm diameter)
Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted

White Balance
Auto (TTL white balance with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor) Seven manual modes with fine-tuning; Sun Shade Fluorescent Incandescent Flash Preset Fine Tune by Kelvin Color temperature setting

White Balance BracketingYes, 2 to 9 exposures, in increments of 1, 2 or 3

On the low end, Nikon also simultaneously released the D3000. Sporting a 10.2 mp DX sensor, the camera comes with a kit 18-55VR lens:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

We might see this back change again on the D700. :drink:

Edited by Tom_Kline, 29 July 2009 - 09:58 PM.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#3 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

Edited by Tom_Kline, 29 July 2009 - 09:58 PM.

Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

#4 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

This post seems to have returned! My previous reply managed to get moved to another thread so here it is again: This back change may be seen again with the D700. :) A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

Very interesting pics... Yes, the focus switch has moved, but that's not necessarily a deal killer to using the D300s in a D300 housing. At least in my Ikelite the knob to switch focus might be "tweakable" to work with the new positioning. Of course, if the only way to access video is through the LV button then that won't be available. I wonder if they are going to take LV off the rotating switch on the top left?

At any rate, it could be worse... I'll bet a lot of people end up using the D300s in a D300 housing.

thanks,
JP

Edited by johnspierce, 29 July 2009 - 09:11 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

This post seems to have returned! My previous reply managed to get moved to another thread so here it is again: This back change may be seen again with the D700. :) A few may have been hoping for a high and low body res FF body that would fit in the same housing. :drink:

Sorry Tom, but while I was messing with this post, you were posting. I've edited your post to remove the quote. I'm sure everyone who reads will understand what you are talking about. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

I do not see the problem to put into my nexus d200 housing.
I will add 2 buttons to back window like I did to d700 window.

Sam
D800/D4 in modified Nexus housing
and Nauticam D-7000 with Insect-eye lens.

#7 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

Sorry Tom, but while I was messing with this post, you were posting. I've edited your post to remove the quote. I'm sure everyone who reads will understand what you are talking about. :drink:

No problem, looks like our electrons were colliding. I made some edits.

Oceanography & Limnology

#8 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

I do not see the problem to put into my nexus d200 housing.
I will add 2 buttons to back window like I did to d700 window.

Sam

Adaptation may vary by housing. The navigation button has been tweaked as well.

Oceanography & Limnology

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

Sam
It's great to be able to reuse the housing but I think for those wanting to use video, the housings with specifically dimensioned D200 LCD window will be a bit too small. Those housings with full plexi backs on the other hand will have happy owners.
I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competition comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

Drew

#10 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Sam
It's great to be able to reuse the housing but I think for those wanting to use video, the housings with specifically dimensioned D200 LCD window will be a bit too small. Those housings with full plexi backs on the other hand will have happy owners.
I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competitor comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

They have stayed with the same video spec as the D90, no 1080p. Maybe there is to be yet another version in another year or so. Waiting for the next gen of chips, cards, or USB etc.?? This is now their DX 'flagship'.

Oceanography & Limnology

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Well I think it's a lame update... like I thought the 1D2N was for the 1D2. Basically the 1D2N was the camera the 1D2 should've been, minus the issues.
To be fair, I don't think Canon knew the 5D2's video capability would be such a hit. I doubt they were responding to Scarlet but more to just trump the D90. Suddenly their product has found an entire new market. It'll be interesting to see if the Japanese will think "outside the box" more often now. To release a video camera without manual exposure controls was just plain dumb!

Drew

#12 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

Well I think it's a lame update... like I thought the 1D2N was for the 1D2. Basically the 1D2N was the camera the 1D2 should've been, minus the issues.
To be fair, I don't think Canon knew the 5D2's video capability would be such a hit. I doubt they were responding to Scarlet but more to just trump the D90. Suddenly their product has found an entire new market. It'll be interesting to see if the Japanese will think "outside the box" more often now. To release a video camera without manual exposure controls was just plain dumb!

I gather that video in dSLRs is a 'work in progress'. Of course they may be deliberately leaving things out for future updates! :drink:

Oceanography & Limnology

#13 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Sam
I'm a little underwhelmed with this update really. Looks to me this is what the D300 should've been originally. I mean it's only 2 years old. Manufacturers tend to hop along on one foot until the competition comes up with something great. Right now I have to agree with Cor on his rant.

Drew,
I was talking about my'nexus' d200 housing which has full view of d300 LCD.
Subal and other housings are different story.

Sam

#14 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

Curiously the buttons on the back of the D300s looks more like the back of the D700, than the D300:

D300s
Posted Image

D700
Posted Image

D300
Posted Image

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#15 dzwiad

dzwiad

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

Ive sanwitched D300 and D300s in photoshop to see the difference, assuming that size stays the same for both.
Posted Image
it is not so bad the difference is mostly in joystick and focusing mode
betweenblue.com

#16 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

Curiously the buttons on the back of the D300s looks more like the back of the D700, than the D300:

Yeah looks like there's more than enough space to pop in a Lv button on the D700x without moving anything else. :drink:

Drew, is Contrast Detection autofocus in movie mode of any value?

Edited by loftus, 30 July 2009 - 03:27 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#17 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

With the range of FX cameras increasing will Canon and Nikon continue development of DX sensors? If so how many megapixels will DX sensors reach in the next 12-18 months?
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#18 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:36 AM

With the range of FX cameras increasing will Canon and Nikon continue development of DX sensors? If so how many megapixels will DX sensors reach in the next 12-18 months?

I would expect Nikon to release a 15-16MP camera in that period - D400 (with the sensor then handed down through the range). Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:45 AM

I wouldn't know Jeff. I don't use AF for video uw. I'm more afraid of the AF going on a hunting spree for contrast than anything else. Bad WB, artifactting etc can be fixed, OOF shots are useless. I'm one of those that prefer manual focus. The problem is too many manufacturers have relied on AF to do the work in DSLR and with VIDSLR, the game has changed YET again. I've been trying to figure which housing is best that I can use a zoom and focus gear at the same time.

Drew

#20 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

When I tried video with my D90, It was producing a good quality
macro video in avi file(easy to see/share) & it will cost me a big
money if I want same quality lens for my video. One thing I missed
was AF & d300s looks like has it.

Local Nikon will release new camera by 27 August and I will post
a sample in few days from it.

Sam