• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 05:53 PM

As I get ready for my Coco's trip I wonder if anyone has any experience with prefocusing and panning with a G2 or similar camera.

I am planning on doing a bit of this to try and capture the hammerheads and minimize the shutter lag.

Would love to heare your results, tips or ideas?

Thanks

Bob

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 06:48 PM

When are you going to Cocos? I'm going at the end of July:D
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 07:17 PM

July 8-19. Yipeee!!!!!

I'll make sure we save you a whale shark or two :P

#4 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 01:58 AM

Hey Bob,

I went to Cocos in June last year and it was without doubt the best diving I have ever done. I am very jealous of you.

It was my last trip with a film camera (MMII) before upgrading to digital. I have to say that my pictures were terrible. This is for a few reasons which make photography difficult there.

1) Overcast sky - the sky was overcast almost all the time we were there, leading to dark conditions underwater

2) Thermoclines - Expect to encounter these quite a lot. A real pain if trying to shoot through the shimmering.

3) Pesky Hammerheads - They really do hate the bubbles. Getting close (I was using a 16mm lens) is really hard so you have to take your chances. A rebreather really does help.

4) Currents - Some of the best photo oppurtunties were in currents so strong that you couldn't even look into the current without losing your mask. Take a pair of gloves or a reefhook (there is no coral to damage)

5) visibility - not always the best. A lot of hammer shots you can't get close enough so just turn off the strobes to avoid backscatter.

I am sure you will make a better job of it than me. :P

As regards panning - the hammerheads don't tend to move that fast so it shouldn't be too tricky. Now the blacktips and silkies can be a different matter.

I found one of the best shots (at Alycone) was to lie on your back and shoot up with the Hammers schooling above you for good silhouettes.

Anyway hope you have a great time.

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#5 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 02:59 AM

Awesome Mark, I remember a bit of those types of conditions from my trip to Galapagos. That trip was just like yours. I had a mmII, it was my first time with a camera, and you can only imagine how badly nearly every pic stunk. :P

Thanks for the tips and pointers! I am not sure about whether I will do better than you, but I am guessing since you shot film on that trip, tha I will take more than you were able to! Maybe the law of averages will hold.

My Local dive shopr owner/photo pro is trying to get me to take a rebreather class on the way our there and do a couple of rebreather dives with him. Sounds intriguing, but I think I will focus on my digital camera. One new thing per trip tis enuff.

Be well

Bob

[Edited on 5-23-2002 by bobjarman]