#1 jordi

jordi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi all,

I am big fan of this forum and members like Drew, Camdiver, Echeng among other from who I learn a lot. But as I am new in UW video, I am still photographer, I am little bit lost with some of the terms you normally use (codecs, avi, 24 MBPS, interframe, etc). So I am looking for some book or online course or website where I can learn the basics, and then being able to join your discussions.

Any recomdation is welcome!

Thjanks in advance for your help

Jordi

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

What NLE are you using? Are you on a PC or Mac?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 jordi

jordi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hi Steve,

I am a Mac user.

What's NLE?

Thanks

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

It stands for Non Linear Editing ... basically what editing software your using. So with your mac you will get imovie with it or you could but Final Cut Express or the full monty and go for Final Cut Pro.

I reckon stating with imovie is a great idea and will give you a good insight into editing.

There are a couple of books, one I recall is 'Underwater Digital Video Made Easy' which was put together / written by Mark Thurlow and Lance Millibrand and another couple of people which covers the basics, also I believe Annie Crawley has DVD which talks through some underwater videography basics.

Nothing beats though getting out there and shooting, shooting, shooting....

Have fun

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:40 AM

Depending on what kind of background you have.
If you have a technical background, Google and Wiki are great tools and free. A still shooter knows raw and jpeg, tiff, 12/14/16 bit etc. If you can understand that, then an easy search on Google while you're reading a review on a camera is probably how I'd advise people with technical backgrounds to go. Most of the information online is more up to date than any book printed 6 months or 2 years ago. Same for DVDs.
Non-techies but people with IQ above Forest Gump just need to learn the vocabulary, and that Wiki is more than adequate (if sometimes inaccurate).
Some people just want instruction and notes to study. Those will have to join the classes, read the books etc. Those tend to give you the very basics and not much else.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Jordi,
This is an old article I wrote and I would certainly update much of the info in it, however, the basics hold true for any underwater videographer and I hope you will find it helpful.
http://www.kenstone....er_douglas.html

Since you are on a Mac you will have 3 basic choices of editing software (NLEs), iMovie, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio. Final Cut Studio, now in its 3rd studio generation and 7th generation of Final Cut Pro is the choice of champions (and some not so champion) You can learn an awful lot by checking out the Final Cut websites like www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org You will find many tutorials, articles and reviews there. The discussion forum on the kenstone site is the absolutely most responsive and anytime you have a question or problem regarding editing, this is the place to get answers quickly.

For training DVDs, the market which had at one time been barren, is now over saturated. In my mind, the best of the bunch are the training DVDs from Ripple Training.
For books, the Peachpit Press publishes both the Apple Training Series of books regarding all of Apple's applications and are also used as the basis for the Apple certification exam should you ever want that. Peachpit also published the Quicktime Guide for FCP by Lisa Brenneis which is the go to reference book for FCP.

There are many other books and dvds out there and most are very good but the ones I mentioned, in my opinion, are the best ones available.

Again, hope this helps.
Steve
40' vis on the Ruby E in San Diego this morning. That's great vis for San Diego waters. Of course, after 30 min. the vis dropped to about 15'

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

also I believe Annie Crawley has DVD which talks through some underwater videography basics.

This one:
http://www.diveintoy...d,103/vmcchk,1/

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi Jordi,
There is also a new book coming out soon. Sorry but I can't say more at this point. It deals with everything HDV and Final Cut Pro which is the benchmark for most editing options these days.

I would also suggest asking direct questions of the moderators and users here. You have been honest and straight enough to show your level of understanding thus far so fire away, we are all here to learn.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#9 jordi

jordi

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your kind answers!
I am going to start reading your recommendations and then, sure,... I'll start to post my questions!

Jordi

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:40 AM

For the Apple machines, there is also Adobe CS4 Production , which includes Premiere Pro, After Effects and Sound Booth. Premiere still loses out to FCP for the interface but on the other hand, it's is much better integrated to available hardware acceleration. AEFx is probably the most used compositor around for 2nd tier production houses. It's dual platform and you get more plug ins than with FCS. Premiere Pro has come a long way and supports quite a number of camera codecs natively.
And when Camdiver suggests direct questions, I think he means asking your questions in the forums where everyone can benefit. I get quite a few PMs regarding questions and I always encourage people to ask their questions in the forums so others can benefit.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:49 AM

Maybe my intial post wasn't that clear.

I did, as so kindly pointed out by our most learned and esteemed video expert Drew, actually mean to post questions here, in the public domain.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#12 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

AEFx is probably the most used compositor around for 2nd tier production houses. \

you're not claiming that Kramer is 2nd rate now are you, Drew?!?!?!? That's blasphemy :) lol!