• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 03:39 AM

shot was taken in Gallery Reef Braco Jamaica with C4040Z, D-180 & YS90DX strobes and Sea and Sea WAL [l] any input is highly appreciated.

Allan
http://www.underwaterdigital.net
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 03:57 AM

What camera mode are you using? Only suggestion I would make is to pick a shutter speed/aperture combination that would make the background of some of your macro shots a bit darker . . .

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 05:06 AM

Mike,

Most of my shots were taken on aperture priority setting, ISO 100, F8.01/100 WB in AUTO. One thing I really like when you're shooting in APERTURE PRIORITY MODE is when you change depth the camera will tell you to change your aperture setting. You'll see the aperture setting blinking on the LCD once you change depth or loose ambient light. Thanks for the tip Mike. I'm sure i'll apply your tip on my next uw adventure.

BTW, how was your trip to Galapagos Island? I'm very interested to see your pictures if you don't mind.

Allan
Allan

Sea and Sea DX100 with Inon X1 port, Inon Z22 quad ring flash, YS90DX and a bunch of lens, arms and ports.

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 05:06 AM

Hi Allan,

Those blue chromis sure are awesome fish! I can never get close enough to them to get shots like that. Sweet!

The picture you posted is a little soft in the lower left corner (the brown madracis coral). It looks to me like you may be inside the WAL's sweet spot by about 6 inches or so. I guess we all should do some work with our wide angle lenses to determine their depth of field at various apertures.

You might have been able to bring that coral back into focus at a higher aperture, but I'm guessing it's unlikely. Plus, at higher f-stop you would have had to go to a lower shutter speed any you may not have been able to stop those fish for the shot.

So perhaps some experimentation with the lens to find its working limits.

Now I gotta go have a look at your other new images. Man o man... I wish I was in jamaica right now.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 underwaterdigital

underwaterdigital

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 05:14 AM

Thanks James

I really appreciate your input.

The picture you posted is a little soft in the lower left corner (the brown madracis coral). It looks to me like you may be inside the WAL's sweet spot by about 6 inches or so. I guess we all should do some work with our wide angle lenses to determine their depth of field at various apertures.

Yes, I noticed that too that' why I decided to post this shot because i think this is a good reference to figure out the lens sweet spot as well as limitations. Overall, I am happy with the Sea and Sea WAL L. but I'm still eager and anxious to see the INON UWL-100 Dome Port.

guess it's time to go back to the pool and do some more testing.

Allan

Allan