9 replies to this topic

#1 fishid

fishid

Hermit Crab

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

Anna DeLoach has posted some fantastic video of spawning frogfish she shot at the Blue Heron Bridge in Florida on the Marine Life Blog. Ned DeLoach's photos are also posted along with a brief trip report of their dives.
It is at Marine Life Blog
New World Publications
Marine Life Books by Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach
www.fishid.com

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

That's so cool. Boy, do they get excited!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Ah yes the frogfish life-roll. Great find, Anna.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Wow, Thats really cool!

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Inlined:

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

I'm super stoked for Ned and Anna as they have been after frogfish spawning for a long, long time! They were soooooo excited after this event, you have no idea! Talk about kids in a candy store! :)

Yes, I was on the boat this night, along with Ned and Anna, pointing out where I had photographed the three striated frogfish (2 males chasing a female) spawn a month and a half earlier. Of course they saw these two in a totally different spot...! Plus, this happened in the dark of night, out of the main current flow, and I encountered the frogfish spawn there with excess of three hours of daylight left and in much more current flow? Lots of ?s to ponder, but we have a lot more information, especially on the striated frogfish's egg raft which is somewhat different from open water documentation of the longlure's egg raft. We stayed at the Brass Ring talking about the differences in the two striated spawning events into the wee hours of the am!

My photographs will be seen someday... :-0 A researcher quickly snapped up first rights to them so I can't post them for now. I understand that something of an "antennarid bible" is in the works, we will have to wait and see. :) It's exciting for those who love frogfish!

Congrats to Ned and Anna and thanks for linking the video inline Eric!

Later, Carol

PS - Thanks must be given to Robyn Churchill (Snaphappy) for organizing this dive and inviting us all, along with Ned and Anna. Without her I don't think it would have happened. Thanks Robyn!

Edited by seagrant, 07 August 2009 - 07:40 PM.

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#7 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

Great video! what a moment!
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

So cool. I remember when at Lembeh Straits we waited for 30 minutes watching the frogfish and waiting until they started mating. It never happened. Finally seeing it, even if it was not my own, is just amazing. Had to watch it several times. Congrats.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Quote: I understand that something of an "antennarid bible" is in the works, we will have to wait and see. It's exciting for those who love frogfish!

Firstly- FANTASTIC vdeo footage- absolutly incredible!!!!!!!!!!

Frogfish rule!!

Can you tell us any more info. about this proposed 'antennarid bible??'
I have searched Amazon and there is only a kid's book on frogfish that I have found so far.

A book on these fish would be a welcome addition to anyone's library.

I certainly want one!!

Tanx
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#10 scott_nielsen

scott_nielsen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Love to dive and travel. Now, I'm trying uw photography, have a lot to learn.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

thanks Anna, came back about two weeks ago from visiting Robyn, Kay, and Tom. I found the Frog fish on our first night dive and was so excited, your pics are amazing!!!!! looking forward to meeting you all one day. Scott and Troy
Camera, Nikon D300, Seatool housing, Inon Strobes.
One World, One Ocean, Let's Protect It!