49 replies to this topic

#21 mattsea

mattsea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the all the related thread: took a while to read - answered many questions and raised a few more.

The Hugycheck leak detector looked interesting.

Are leak detectors useful?

If so are they available for Aquatica.

Does the Aquatica take a tripod?

Do I need a diopter with the 16-35mkii?

If TTL is to be used with the flash system is there a special option I need to request?

On settings UW I guess for most wide angles people use F8 and above, but what is a normal ISO and what is the maximum ISO.

Does one really need diopters to get edge sharpness on the 16-35mkii?

Would the 8" dome

What about glass domes vs plastic which is most common?

Which is easy to start the Videao i.e. with the Set button.

Someone mentioned the focus distance using 100 mm 2.8 macro is too far and so suggested someother selection>

Could I use 12-24 sigam using same zoom gear as 16-35?

#22 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for the all the related thread: took a while to read - answered many questions and raised a few more.

The Hugycheck leak detector looked interesting.

It is a bit than a leak detector (I usually think of those as things that blink or sound when water is in already :) ) it is something to help make sure no leaks exist prior to the water.

Are leak detectors useful?

Yes, though more when it is a small leak, massive leak and the detector is probably toast also :) (Thinking of leak detectors that flash etc. Things like the Hugyfot are really cool to me)

If so are they available for Aquatica.

Not sure if they came out with a system AFAIK. Hugyfot and Gates (video) have systems, not sure about others.

Does the Aquatica take a tripod?

Backscatter has one now that they developed

If TTL is to be used with the flash system is there a special option I need to request?

Ikelite has built in TTL with Ikelite strobes, the other housings may need extras, either different bulkheads and or electronics (such as the external Sea & Sea option or Heinrichs) and you will need to look how each housing can be configured for TTL

On settings UW I guess for most wide angles people use F8 and above, but what is a normal ISO and what is the maximum ISO.

It varies based on lighting and other factors. Not sure how high anyone shot the 5D underwater, but people have mentioned shooting up to 1600 (do not recall if it was only above water) and liking the results. You really need to shoot and decide for yourself what you find acceptable in terms of noise, but the camera has a pretty broad range that you will be able to use well. I have a tendency to use lower ISOs (usually set it to the lowest ISO on the camera) though many have been shooting 200/400/800 (with a variety of cameras) and reporting good results.

What about glass domes vs plastic which is most common?

Glass is usually more expensive and heavier. I would guess alot of that will be answered based on budget and the level of photographer. People get very good shots with both.

#23 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

Here are a few of the answers, the others I will leave to non aligned members to answers in order to avoid the ever present danger of seeming to work for your own agenda.

The Aquatica 5D Mk II housing as a moisture detector included in its prices, Leak detectors are like smoke detectors, useless until you hear them and that is when they can make the difference, we go through great extend to prevent mishap, including standard locking latches and a port lock, this does not always prevent the hair, lint, grain of sand or the so many foreign object willing to work their way into your O-ring groove and thus, it still is good advise to have one.

The Aquatica has not one but three tripod mounting holes at its base, for a nice shot of the setup, check this thread, http://wetpixel.com/...r-video-review/ its on the front page of this forum.

A diopter is not obligatory with a 8" dome port but might prove useful. there are some intersting point of view on this forum about its use.

The Glass versus the Acrylic... i'll let someone else open this can of worm :)

The Sigma 12-24 is the only ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) we cannot get a zoom gear for, its girth is too large for the diameter of our zoom gears. it will fit in the port, but would have to be used at a fixed focal lenght.

The 100mm is one of the most useful lenses for that camera, I dunno who in their right mind would advise you against it :)

Gee didn't realize Drew was writing at the same time LOL

Edited by Viz'art, 12 August 2009 - 12:20 PM.

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#24 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:42 PM

Gee didn't realize Drew was writing at the same time LOL

We have to stop meeting like this Jean :) :)

#25 mattsea

mattsea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

If I could get a Sea&Sea for the same price as Aquatica, are there any compelling reasons why one system is better than the other?

#26 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Time for us the manufacturers and camera stores to let the stage free for the non affiliated members to render judgments :)

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#27 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:29 AM

If I could get a Sea&Sea for the same price as Aquatica, are there any compelling reasons why one system is better than the other?

At some point it may be the time to actually handle the housings to see what works for you. The other threads mentioned the various pros and cons of the housings (tripod options, etc.). The Sea & Sea is about a pound and a half lighter and there is the direct TTL convertor (extra part) though there is also a way to work out TTL on the Aquatica. Each brand has a good selection of ports and options. And if you ask enough people, you will find people who will love and/or dislike one or the other (no offense to either manufacturer intended by that.)

Mike L mentioned his experience, including the customer support for Sea & Sea/parts. I have Aquatica and I can say that the people up North in Canada are always a pleasure to deal with, and like Gates for my video side of things, Aquatica at this point is always at the top of my list when I am housing shopping. (Though the leak check on the Hugy is very cool. If I was ever going to consider another brand of housing, it would probably be for that more than anything)

BTW here is another Aquatica view point that you may or may not have seen

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=30745

What you need to do is sit down and go through a check list of exactly what you want. Is it budget? Is it size? Is this also going to be a video rig as Drew asked, or is video just a nice plus now and again?

#28 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Just on visuals the Aquatica looks nicer than the Sea&Sea.
I currently have a Sea&See and so I have ports for that.
I don't know if my ports are useable with Aquatica .. one thing in my mind is if Aquatica looks nicer and costs less .. as long as it is fully functional .. then it is defo the best value for money in my mind.

Wonder if there are any on island i could borrow to try out .. unlikely :)
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#29 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

Gilles, the Digital shootout is coming your way next year, along with yours truly and a trunk of goodies, you will be more than welcome to forage through my Aquatica bin should you fancy a spin with one.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#30 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Thats a great option .. ooh ... darn it .. do i really have to come over to Little Cayman just to go diving and take some photos :) awesome I had no idea it was heading this way.

LCBR is great too .. you are diving with my old company Reef Divers too !

#31 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Time for us the manufacturers and camera stores to let the stage free for the non affiliated members to render judgments :)

I agree. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#32 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

I currently have a Sea&See and so I have ports for that.
I don't know if my ports are useable with Aquatica .. one thing in my mind is if Aquatica looks nicer and costs less .. as long as it is fully functional .. then it is defo the best value for money in my mind.

Wonder if there are any on island i could borrow to try out .. unlikely :)

Aquatica have a adaptor in the works for Sea & Sea Ports - this makes the choice for you very simple. :)

#33 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

Adapters are great except for FE lenses which sometimes even vignettes because of the adapter on a FF camera. No such thing as a free lunch :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#34 mattsea

mattsea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

What about Hugyfot a bit more expensive but has the hugycheck system which is pretty good.

Apart from this check system any advantages or disadvantages of the Hugy vs Aqautica & Sea&Sea?

#35 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if housing manufacturers could manufacture the front of their housing to suit different port systems, instead of buying adapters that throw the lens to port dimension out.. Ok you might have to wait a few weeks for your Aquatica housing that accepted Sea and Sea ports but the wait would be well worth it.

Stew

Edited by stewsmith, 14 August 2009 - 08:53 AM.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#36 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Adapters are great except for FE lenses which sometimes even vignettes because of the adapter on a FF camera. No such thing as a free lunch :)

I would be wanting to get a larger dome port as well .. just not replace the two ports i have!

Unless of course there was a port that fit my 28-70mm L series lense .. with zoom gears from aquatica .. i wonder!

#37 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

The lens will fit, we can take up to just under 100mm and your lens is 83.2mm at its largest, I would need a lens in order to calibrate the optical center on my secret weapon optical calibrator :) and my only hurdle is the girth of this baby, its got a larger waist than me :) ,i'll have to get back at you on that one, I know I can fit the 24-70mm f/2.8 no problem and do have a gear for it (its the same zomm ring size as the Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8), then again the 24-70 is the same size as the 28-70mm f/2.8 Canon, definetely want to get one of those lens for measurement now, damm you Giles!

Edited by Viz'art, 14 August 2009 - 12:58 PM.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#38 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Sell the 28-70 and get the 24-105L. That has IS for video and a nice topside travel lens and good fish lens with a +2/3 diopter. Not 2.8 but hey what's a stop between friends?

Jean, the 28-70 is 7 years old and OOP. Why bother? Concentrate on the newer lenses baby!:)

Drew

#39 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Drew if I was to sell it and get another lens then I would get the 24-70mm f2.8L I like that extra stop !

I agree that the 28-70 is the older lens no longer made and so should be ignored for these sorts of applications in favour of others .. both have advantages over the other but my problem is .. who is gonna buy my 28-70 for anything like a decent price! So i can not loose out too much buying the 24-70 :)
I would rather just buy a 10-22 and keep my 28-70.

#40 mattsea

mattsea

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:30 AM

Does anyone have anything to say about the Hugy housings?

Are Hugy less common than Aquatica & Sea&Sea?

As I see so far, Aquatica is nicely made, solid, with nice ergonomics and is a popular brand.

Sea&Sea is lighter also well made, with good ergonomics and is also a popular brand and costs a little more.

Hugyfot is also light, well made, and has the hugycheck leak check system - all good but more expensive than both the others.

Just on the Aquatica adapter for Sea&Sea domes & ports, is there any particular reason why being able to adapt Sea&Sea domes & ports
is useful if you do not currently have any existing Sea&Sea ports?

Is there any chance that Aquatica or Sea&Sea could bring out something like the Hugycheck?

Are there any major diffs in the viewfinders on these 3 brands?

Do most people use a view finder to extend battery life or because you prefer a viewfinder over the LCD?

Edited by mattsea, 15 August 2009 - 02:17 AM.