Strange nudi from Milne Bay

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Could anyone ID the big yellow spongey looking nudi in the middle? I shot this last year in Milne Bay and was not able to find it in any of my books. While in PNG this year I prerused the library of Walindi and FeBrina, and wasn't able to positively ID it there either, as my knowledge of nudies is rather limited still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

Posted Image

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Could anyone ID the big yellow spongey looking nudi in the middle? I shot this last year in Milne Bay and was not able to find it in any of my books. While in PNG this year I prerused the library of Walindi and FeBrina, and wasn't able to positively ID it there either, as my knowledge of nudies is rather limited still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

Posted Image

Do you have another view of it?
Did it move?
Is this the front?

#3 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

I also saw these while diving Milne Bay. Unfortunately, I have not been able to identify them either.

Edited by AMW, 10 August 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#4 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:39 AM

It was moving along. I found it while diving from Tawali at "barracuda point" at about 90 feet. Not sure if this is the front or tail now a year later, but I think this might have been the front. I have some more images of this one, which I will port. I think they are shot from a similar angle tho. I won't have access to them until tomorrow as I am at work and the HD is at home. I will post tomorrow morning.

#5 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Heres two more. Looking at the time stamps in the EXIF I see that the slug was crawling towards to camera, which indicates that we are seeing the front of the slug (I don't think they would "back up").

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Heres two more. Looking at the time stamps in the EXIF I see that the slug was crawling towards to camera, which indicates that we are seeing the front of the slug (I don't think they would "back up").

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

You might want to send it to Mike Miller at "the Slug Site" for ID....

#7 Robographer

Robographer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Could anyone ID the big yellow spongey looking nudi in the middle? I shot this last year in Milne Bay and was not able to find it in any of my books. While in PNG this year I prerused the library of Walindi and FeBrina, and wasn't able to positively ID it there either, as my knowledge of nudies is rather limited still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :blink: :) :)

I searched through all my resources and nothing cam up...
If anything else fails, try www.nudipixel.net. Send your photo to them and let them try to identify it.

Succes...
Don't be afraid of perfection... we will never reach it.

Manager Celebes Divers, Mapia Resort & Spa, Manado & Onong Resort, Siladen Island

Browse my photos here!

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Thanks Secretsea18 and Robographer!

Nudipixel was not able to ID it, but I took Secretsea18 advise and sent it off to Michael Miller at the Slug Site. Less than a few hours later I received a reply, via Michael Miller, from Terry Gosliner at the California Academy of Sciences. He wrote:

"...I am virtually certain that it is a sea cucumber. I have seen brownish ones like this. I think it is probably a juvenile of Thelynota or something like that."

Interestingly I had photographed some really pretty "adult" Thelenota on the same trip last year, although not at that particular divesite.

Although it would have been far more exciting to have photographed a previously unidentified seaslug, I am still very happy to have an answer to the identity of this weird little critter (meaning I can stop searching now). I am also truly impressed by the awesome resources and fast response and of the seaslug site!

#9 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

Juvenile sea cucumbers are known to mimic toxic nudibranchs. Here's an example and also juvenile Pearsonothuria graeffei look very similar to the Phyllidia varicosa in your pictures.

#10 scubamarli

scubamarli

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

look very similar to the Phyllidia varicosa in your pictures.

It's actually a Phyllidia coelestis....sorry, I couldn't resist.
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:24 AM

yeah yeah that's what i meant. obviously :blink:

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

It's ok Nick... it's the presbyopia :blink:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Robographer

Robographer

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

I think this is what you are looking for
Don't be afraid of perfection... we will never reach it.

Manager Celebes Divers, Mapia Resort & Spa, Manado & Onong Resort, Siladen Island

Browse my photos here!