• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

Yes I realized how airline status helps when I forgot to put down my FF number during check in. Suddenly I had 50lbs per bag and only allowed 2 bags without fees. I had no idea why until I was shown the new rules. The best one was they now cut off baggage at 45mins before flight time... but the flight still takes off late! I've never liked flying domestic and I like it even less now.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Nurse Bob,

You should carry for camera gear as a carry-on and not check it in as baggage. It is not uncommon for baggage to get lost or delayed and also sometimes things are removed from you bag in transit. My 2 cents.

Elmer

Thanks Elmer, I just reread this thread and noticed your reply. I am contemplating carrying an Airport Accelerator vs Kata OC-84.

Just can't justify carrying on housing, camera, lenses and checking dome!

Yup, the F'lite is the hack job, at least mine is. I usually just wrap the lights etc with several layers of clothes or wetsuits and strap them down.
Like Eyu says, always try to carry a shooting rig to the destination in hand luggage. Dive gear you can rent, a good camera gear you can't most times.

As always Drew, thanks.
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#23 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Nurse Bob,

I carry-on all my camera gear plus my dive computer, mask, MacBook Pro and exteranl hard drives using an Airport Acceleration on my back and Kata 84 as a roll on.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 30 August 2009 - 03:02 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#24 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

Nurse Bob,

I carry-on all my camera gear plus my dive computer, mask, MacBook Pro and exteranl hard drives using an Airport Acceleration on my back and Kata 84 as a roll on.

Elmer

Wow, that seems like pushing the carry on weight issue. Have you traveled recently? The Air Pacific flight I am taking to Fiji apparently strictly enforces the, (I think), 17 kg carry on.

Would you be able to ala carte check the KAta?
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name

#25 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Nurse Bob,

I just flew to the Galapagos, then Machu Picchu last month and had no problems. In a week I am flying to Bali. You just need to be aware of your specific airlines carry-on restrictions and pretend that your backpack is light as a feather on your back. I specifically pick airlines for their baggage allowances. Also don't be seen by the flight attendants struggling to get your stuff in the overhead compartments and if you get caught be willing to pay extra. Another thing is upgrade and fly business since you have more allowances. Last, have everything insured.

Elmer

Edited by eyu, 30 August 2009 - 10:07 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#26 kybrt

kybrt

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

the roller 3 is discontinued. i bought one at b&h photo in nyc in their used/closeout section for $160.00 !! brand new item too!!

they have several in the closeout stock.

Edited by kybrt, 08 September 2009 - 09:01 PM.

Marv

Fidelis Ad Mortem

www.diveboatkaren.com