• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowDiver

ShadowDiver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

taking my Canon 5d Mark II under for the first time next week. i think i'm going to try some video. what do you folks think about:

Canon 5d Mark II
Canon 17-40mm
Ikelite housing
8in dome
Manual mode
shutter 1/60
aperture f8
autoISO
focus ~3 feet in front

i'll be in Cozumel, so i'm thinking of just drifting along. f8 for increased edge sharpness. 1/60 because NTSC. and let autoISO handle the exposure.

i have at my disposal magic-filter and a +2 diopter. i can try both of these. manual white balance on my silver Aqualung fins.

i'm a complete video newb. am i on the right track?
suggestions? thanks.

#2 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

taking my Canon 5d Mark II under for the first time next week. i think i'm going to try some video. what do you folks think about:

Canon 5d Mark II
Canon 17-40mm
Ikelite housing
8in dome
Manual mode
shutter 1/60
aperture f8
autoISO
focus ~3 feet in front

i'll be in Cozumel, so i'm thinking of just drifting along. f8 for increased edge sharpness. 1/60 because NTSC. and let autoISO handle the exposure.

i have at my disposal magic-filter and a +2 diopter. i can try both of these. manual white balance on my silver Aqualung fins.

i'm a complete video newb. am i on the right track?
suggestions? thanks.

I think you will get great results that way. I would perhaps just change the aperture to f11 and set an appropriate ISO to give you about -0.5 to -1.0 exposure. ( easily checked by half depressing the shutter in Live Mode ) Auto ISO doesnt give good exposure underwater in video mode . As long as the ISO required is less than 1600 it seems to be just fine. Just remember to reset your white balance for different depths when using a Magic Filter. Good luck. Looking forward to see your results!

#3 ShadowDiver

ShadowDiver

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

I think you will get great results that way. I would perhaps just change the aperture to f11 and set an appropriate ISO to give you about -0.5 to -1.0 exposure. ( easily checked by half depressing the shutter in Live Mode ) Auto ISO doesnt give good exposure underwater in video mode . As long as the ISO required is less than 1600 it seems to be just fine. Just remember to reset your white balance for different depths when using a Magic Filter. Good luck. Looking forward to see your results!

i'll try setting iso manually, but unless you mean to change it during the capture, i'll set it before the clip. i dont see how i can change iso during the clip because it is a few menu clicks and not so quick. maybe i can set exposure compensation and use autoiso.

i think i would take my strobes down each time. and shoot stills but add video. in that case, should i even install the magic filter? can i white balance with strobes and magic filter for stills? or i should use the magic filter only when in the mindset of shooting video, with stills added. thanks for the help!

#4 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

i'll try setting iso manually, but unless you mean to change it during the capture, i'll set it before the clip. i dont see how i can change iso during the clip because it is a few menu clicks and not so quick. maybe i can set exposure compensation and use autoiso.

Yes you set ISO before the clip - in Manual Expoure mode you can do it in Live View mode - its real quick
BTW you can't set Exposure Compensation if you are in Manual Exposure mode - even if you select AutoISO

i think i would take my strobes down each time. and shoot stills but add video. in that case, should i even install the magic filter? can i white balance with strobes and magic filter for stills? or i should use the magic filter only when in the mindset of shooting video, with stills added. thanks for the help!

I think you are better off not to plan using your strobes if you have a Magic Filter attached. If you are planning to shoot both stills (with strobes) and video on the same dive dont use the filter and simply go with Auto white balance. HTH

Edited by AndreSmith, 15 August 2009 - 08:14 AM.

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

I think you are better off not to plan using your strobes if you have a Magic Filter attached. If you are planning to shoot both stills (with strobes) and video on the same dive dont use the filter and simply go with Auto white balance. HTH

It is totally possible to shoot video with the magic filter and stills with strobes on the same dive ... it isn't ideal and the magic filter does nothing for you on the still shots, but I used to do that with my Canon G9 all the time.

With my Sea & Sea YS-27 and a YS-110, I used to have to use a WB of about 3900K when I shot stills with the magic filter on the lens.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

With my Sea & Sea YS-27 and a YS-110, I used to have to use a WB of about 3900K when I shot stills with the magic filter on the lens.

Did you switch the WB when shooting video (would guess so). How did it work out on WA (photo/video) shots? (Though I may have seen them already and just never realized you did that.)

#7 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

Did you switch the WB when shooting video (would guess so). How did it work out on WA (photo/video) shots? (Though I may have seen them already and just never realized you did that.)

Yes ... I would use the two custom, saved WBs ... I would manually set one with strobes for stills and the other without for video.

Most of what I was shooting was macro ... and I don't have access to my archives from here ...

EDIT again ...

Here's one ACTUALLY shot with strobes and a magic filter (sorry, would need to be at home to find one with a wider perspective):

Posted Image

Edited by jeremypayne, 15 August 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Jeremy Payne
My Website

#8 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

I added a pic that was ACTUALLY shot with strobes and a magic filter ... unlike the other one I had posted which was magic filter and no strobes ...

see above.
Jeremy Payne
My Website