• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 riodda

riodda

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

I did in my last dives hte first rolls of film with the V.
I was about 18m at elba island, i was using an 800 an a 400 film and i have to say that most of the pictures looks underexpposed about 1/3 stop more or less...i should warry about the meter or it's just me ???

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:39 AM

I would always bracket exposures with the Nik V. at least 2 or 3 fstops per subject. You can also trick the meter by adjusting your ISO on the camera to purposely overexpose by not setting it on the correct ISO but rather slightly less than your real ISO

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

have to say that most of the pictures looks underexpposed about 1/3 stop more or less...i should warry about the meter or it's just me ???

In the past, a lot of underwater photographers used to use the Sekonic Marine Meter II when using the Nikonos V. Even though the Nik V has a meter, some photographers prefered to use an external meter. I wouldn't rush out and buy one, but if you're going to stay with the Nik V for a while and you're not happy with the exposures you're getting, it's something to think about.

See the following link:

Sekonic Marine Meter II

And, as Mike says, get in the habit of bracketing your exposures. Shooting film doesn't give you the opportunity to get instant feedback in the form of a histogram, so bracketing is definitely a way to cover yourself and make sure you get the shot.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#4 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

I feel like I just stumbled out of the WABAC machine. Help me Mr. Peabody! :)
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#5 riodda

riodda

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:05 AM

I did the third roll, but the idea of bracket with the iso it's good, i'll do it for sure.
Do i need to do it even with the use of flash ?