• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

As some of you know my laptop died last week at the beginning of my stay in Sardinia, Italy. (http://forums.macrum...ad.php?t=237118) this is the problem, BTW.

I am able to download my pictures onto my girlfriend's laptop, but I am not able to look at them, really. I have to wait until I am home, and to be honest I am quite looking forward to the buzz of seeing all my shots at once,a week or so after I took some of them. Its like getting your film back in the old days. That end of trip excitement that we just don't get any more. I don't want it to be a regular thing, but this once I am happy with the situation.

To be honest, my laptop problems could have happened at a worse time, given all the travelling I do. This is not a dedicated dive trip, instead I am on holiday seeing my girlfriend's family. But we have managed to squeese in some exellent diving, including some great dives with some Italian uw photo friends and highlights including the KT-12 German WW2 wreck, a seahorse dive and the groupersof Lavezzi. Although frustratingly a dog hair in my o-ring (the perils of diving from home) meant I had to leave the groupers and ascend after just 13 minutes (leak only enough to set off alarm, but still had to come up).

Hoping that I can get my laptop fixed before coming to the Pacific Northwest in less than a couple of weeks Otherwise I'll be buying a new one. The diving I have between now and then in the UK can be done without a laptop.

Anyway, its funny how there is often a brightside to these things.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#2 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

Alex

Back when I used to shoot film, the very act of taking photos underwater gave me far more joy than the final results. I would be on a dive sure that I was getting some of my best images only to be disappointed once I got the film developed. I used to swear I was going to stop even putting film in the camera and just swim around taking photos. Over the years my images have improved but occasionally I still feel like leaving the card out because I enjoy shooting far more than the labor (and sometimes still, disappointment) that follows on the computer. So although I doubt you experience many less than perfect shoots like us average photogs, I know what you mean about the anticipation.
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:35 AM

I am able to download my pictures onto my girlfriend's laptop, but I am not able to look at them, really. I have to wait until I am home, and to be honest I am quite looking forward to the buzz of seeing all my shots at once,a week or so after I took some of them. Its like getting your film back in the old days. That end of trip excitement that we just don't get any more. I don't want it to be a regular thing, but this once I am happy with the situation.

Anyway, its funny how there is often a brightside to these things.

Alex

I find myself looking at things less on trips than when I used to when I first started with the instant gratification (and dissapointment) of digital. Get a bit of an idea when looking when the image is shot, then do a download/scan (sounds like how you did not look at them "really") then look more when I get home. May pull a quick shot or two on the road if it catches my eye, but overall find myself doing less when traveling and use that time instead to enjoy wherever I am some more and try to limit the time in front of the computer since I do that enough when not traveling. Of course there are times where I will look more (rainy days or knowing I need to get something done for whatever time frame) and I would not give up looking or having a laptop, but more so trying to balance the forest and the trees.

#4 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hey Alex, not sure why you can't view your photos on your girlfriends laptop, but if it is becouse she doesn't have a raw convertor then go to www.rawworkflow.com and download the jpeg from raw convertor. It's a free utilty and it extracts the jpeg image from the raw file.
Mike

#5 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

hey Alex - did you try the workflow that Scratt suggested in post number 36 of that MacRumors thread?

It seemed to have helped some..... maybe it will help you?!

Good luck

Chris

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Yes. With no luck. New computer just arrived, coincidentally. It looks lovely, but I wish I hadn't had to buy it.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).