Photo
- - - - -

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hey cool, glad I waited too.
But I think I will wait abt more, see what else comes out.
1920p @25p :wacko:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#22 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Brad. Somebody better tell Jean to get the folks working overtime.

Cheers,
Steve

Anybody knows where we are on cloning human, I really think it should be legalized, I could use a few more individuals like we already have on staff, no waste of time, you don't know, just ask yourself! :wacko:
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#23 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

I figured some 5D2 peeps would be unhappy with the release of 1080p24/25/29.97 ON TOP of 720p50/60. Here's Phil Bloom's thoughts on the subject:
*** There're quite a few expletives in the video subtitles. So if you are offended by that, don't play it.

LMFAO. Really gota wonder exactly how many of those have been made, Pick the subject. Some of them have been poorly done, and sometimes very well done. Maybe a new thread on the favorite varitions of that one? And to think fava beans would have otherwise been the most memorable line.....

#24 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2986 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Anybody knows where we are on cloning human, I really think it should be legalized,

Hi Jean,
Please tell me your buddies are going to work on a 7D housing. :wacko: Do you see any tough issues so far with the new camera? Hey, did Aquatica ever come out with the Sea & Sea port adapter?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

Anybody knows where we are on cloning human, I really think it should be legalized, I could use a few more individuals like we already have on staff, no waste of time, you don't know, just ask yourself! :wacko:

Don't worry Jean. The camera doesn't really arrive till next week. You have plenty of time :(

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:46 AM

LMFAO. Really gota wonder exactly how many of those have been made, Pick the subject. Some of them have been poorly done, and sometimes very well done. Maybe a new thread on the favorite varitions of that one? And to think fava beans would have otherwise been the most memorable line.....

The one that someone did about London Fire Brigade is a real pearler.
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#27 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:24 AM

"From the preview info:

The exposure and focusing systems are also more closely integrated with each other - for example information from the color metering sensor is used to allow the AF system to take the color of the light source into account when determining focus point."

I was wondering if this might be affected by bring underwater and the different kinds of colour ranges you'd see there compared to above ground?

Otara

#28 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

Weird that this is named 7D, it sounds more like a successor to the 50D. Anyhow, I want it. Just as I was planning on a new frugal lifestyle.

#29 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:36 AM

Do we have confirmation that the 7D is the true successor to the 50D? I wonder. Canon itself describes this as a "whole new class of camera."

And with the T1's price at $800 and the 7D at $1700, that's a pretty big gap that you would think would be occupied by a mid-level DSLR.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#30 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

At that price point it's obviously designed to blow the Nikon D300s out of the water.

I'm a long time Nikon user, but this has me thinking about switching.

The big question is where the future is going. Will it be video cameras that shoot high quality stills, or still cameras that shoot high quality video?

That has yet to be answered.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#31 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:35 AM

It does seem that Nikon is always playing catch up doesn't it?

Don't worry Eric, just wait a month or two and you will get the Nikon equivalent :wacko:

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

I seriously doubt Nikon will catch up on the video front. They are too small and don't have an entire R&D in the video industry. And their ties with Sony are pretty cold now that Sony has alpha and Sony won't even acknowledge the ViDSLR market. I would think they'd kill everyone if they did jump in. But they have a much bigger video dept to protect.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#33 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hey Jean... got a new lens for you to house! :wacko:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=32114

Drew

#34 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:48 AM

Hey Jean... got a new lens for you to house! :wacko:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=32114

Drew, wrong guy, you need to talk to the Home depot guy's in the industrial plumbing department, ask for a 12" sewer pipe, preferably new :-)

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#35 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hi Jean,
Please tell me your buddies are going to work on a 7D housing. :wacko: Do you see any tough issues so far with the new camera? Hey, did Aquatica ever come out with the Sea & Sea port adapter?

Cheers,
Steve

So far as I can tell, there is some interest on this one, unlike the 40D/50D this 7D actually offer incentive for someone to change their 30D, 20D etc. we have the camera coming in soon and will be in a position to better inform you once we get it.

The Sea & Sea port adapter is on the back burner for now, given the amount of work on the table at the moment, we just cannot commit staff on this projects for now, that don't mean its cancelled, just delayed.

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

#36 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:28 AM

Dpreview for 7D is out:

Offers 24p, in-camera video editing

High ISO shots here:
http://www.robgalbra...d=7-10042-10239
Looks good up to ISO 1600.

It is interesting that 30P and 24P are 29.97 and 23.976 (same thing also for the 60FPS at 59.94). And for some reason the 5D Mark II reggae shots are no longer up. When I looked the other day at the higher ISOs for the stills the 5D shots looked like they had alot less noise, at least on first blush. But overall the 7D looks very cool and I would bet I am getting one at some point :wacko:

#37 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:16 PM

Here's a preview video of the camera settings:

Drew

#38 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Here's a preview video of the camera settings:

So the 7D really isn't vaporware? :wacko:

#39 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

No but if it's an annual model refresh, then that would really suck! :(
The test betas redesign with extra video mods were out since Mar/Apr. I may go back to the 1D series for some stability. THinking about it, 18mp crop = 30mp ff next :wacko:

Drew

#40 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:34 AM

I have a 7D in hand now- a pre-production model from Canon and am off to shoot wildlife with for a week starting early tomorrow morning. Unfortunately no underwater testing, but I'll give it a good workout, including the video and report back. From what I've seen so far I'm pretty impressed.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website