Photo
- - - - -

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

What is the normal average development time for a housing these days? Off to bed with my new girl friend, my sweet 7D. :D

The 5DMkII took about 6 months last year. A little longer for supply to catch up with the orders. I would guess Ikelight to be first, with Aquatica and S&S following before the Subal. Plenty of time for you to get acquainted.

Congrats on your new relationship, hope you make each other very happy!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#62 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Congrats on your new relationship, hope you make each other very happy!

Steve
[/quote]

Thanks Steve! My sweet 7D is now pregnant. I received the battery grip yesterday and it is huge. This daddy has to start lifting weights to carry this baby. :(

I'm still trying to put the camera through all it's available features. My brain is the limiting factor here.

I was pleased to see today's Nobel Prize announcement on recognizing the importance of the invention of the CCD and fiber technology. http://www.dpreview....1nobelprize.asp. After 50 years it is time to embrace this technology, you think?

Going to pull out of storage my ancient Oceanic Hydro35 housing and see if a mod and fitting can be made. I will report in the DIY forum if I try anything. :) We are off to our next adventure! :(

Bo
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#63 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

No surprise here, but the Ikelite Canon chart now reads this alongside the Canon 7D:

"Prototype currently in development. Expected to be available by early November."
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#64 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

No surprise here, but the Ikelite Canon chart now reads this alongside the Canon 7D:

"Prototype currently in development. Expected to be available by early November."

Yep, saw that also with excitement due to having lots of Ike's SLR housing stuff. I have started to really like using the 7D toggle/joystick (right of the finder) for fast focus, metering and other settings switching and would like it available in a housing. Ikelite did not include it with their 5Dm2 redesign/upgrade, but I hope they will with this housing.

#65 rainmaker

rainmaker

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

I'm looking to get this as soon as it comes out - hopefully in time for a Nov 11th dive trip (Isla Guadalupe). Given it doesn't look like Ikelite sells directly to folks, are there known vendors that typically can accomdate a quick turnaround from Ikelite?

Appreciate any assistance!
Blog / Canon 7D + Ziploc plastic baggie :( ...ok..upgraded to Ikelite case. :)

#66 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hi Rainmaker,

Your profile does not indicate your location in US, but I would suggest you try calling the closest vendors that supports Wetpixel here.

Just be prepared to pay for overnight shippng and keep your fingers crossed.

You leaving out of San Diego? Maybe have the housing ready waiting there for you?

Have fun and a great trip shooting sharks.

Bo

I'm looking to get this as soon as it comes out - hopefully in time for a Nov 11th dive trip (Isla Guadalupe). Given it doesn't look like Ikelite sells directly to folks, are there known vendors that typically can accomdate a quick turnaround from Ikelite?

Appreciate any assistance!

#67 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:55 AM

I now have my very own 7D and have been playing with it in my modified Ikelite 5D housing (modified for 5D Mk II). Good news is it physically fits (just) and some of the controls line up pretty well. Shutter button is OK, and the dial by the shutter. The push buttons on the top, by the lcd don't really line up, but with modified control tips could probably me made to do so. Likewise for the buttons on the left of the lcd- they are definitely do-able with some minor mods. The worst alignment is the rear thumbwheel and 'set' button. But even these are probably 'bodgable'. It will definitely need a new push-button for the video start/stop, but I've done this before, so wouldn't be too bad. The new on/off switch would need a rotating control, but I probably wouldn't bother and just remember to switch the camera on before housing it.

Edit: Just realised that to switch between stills and video you need to be able to access the little ring switch around the video start/stop button. This would be a more complicated bit of work I think. The 7D has a couple of slightly awkward switches as far as housings are concerned. This will make the new housings more complicated than the 5D II housings.

Not sure yet if I'll actually make the mods, or wait for the proper housings to come out. Very tempted to get the 7D in the water during a planned Red Sea trip in November....especially as I can use the Tok 10-17 with it.

Edited by Ferg42, 13 October 2009 - 08:24 AM.

EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#68 rainmaker

rainmaker

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hi Rainmaker,

Your profile does not indicate your location in US, but I would suggest you try calling the closest vendors that supports Wetpixel here.

Just be prepared to pay for overnight shippng and keep your fingers crossed.

You leaving out of San Diego? Maybe have the housing ready waiting there for you?

Have fun and a great trip shooting sharks.

Bo

Appreciate the advice.

Indeed, San Diego (though live in DC). I picked a few places off the list of sponsors, and then one in San Diego. I was able to talk to some really sharp folks and have a better handle on whether or not a 7D case will realistically be available. Though, I'll probably know more next week. Now I just need to figure out all the ancillary parts and pieces I need. But I think I'll start a new thread on that once I get my research in order a bit. I don't want to end up at the dock and be missing some tiny $3 part. Obviously in a best case scenario I'd be able to test it all out in a pool prior, but unfortunately that may not be the case.

Thanks again!
Blog / Canon 7D + Ziploc plastic baggie :( ...ok..upgraded to Ikelite case. :)

#69 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

Appreciate the advice.

.....I don't want to end up at the dock and be missing some tiny $3 part. Obviously in a best case scenario I'd be able to test it all out in a pool prior, but unfortunately that may not be the case.

Thanks again!

My experience is that usually it is the 1 cent items, as a small o-ring or lock washer, become irreplaceable on a boat. Bring back-ups of these small items as well.

Pressure test the empty housing first. To save a dive and all the associated prep, I use a long weighted line with a snap attached to the empty housing. Just be sure to tie the end of the rope to the boat railing first before lowering it into the water... :P .

Good luck on your trip and hope to see your pics.

Bo

#70 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

Good to hear that you Ikelite 5D housing may be workable.

Although I would love to take the camera underwater right away, I'm going to wait and see what upcoming 7D housings will offer in control accessibility and their ergonomics.

An additional consideration for me is the ability to have my lighting for both video and still. There has to be a better way than the current options out there.

Bo

I now have my very own 7D and have been playing with it in my modified Ikelite 5D housing (modified for 5D Mk II). Good news is it physically fits (just) and some of the controls line up pretty well. Shutter button is OK, and the dial by the shutter. The push buttons on the top, by the lcd don't really line up, but with modified control tips could probably me made to do so. Likewise for the buttons on the left of the lcd- they are definitely do-able with some minor mods. The worst alignment is the rear thumbwheel and 'set' button. But even these are probably 'bodgable'. It will definitely need a new push-button for the video start/stop, but I've done this before, so wouldn't be too bad. The new on/off switch would need a rotating control, but I probably wouldn't bother and just remember to switch the camera on before housing it.

Edit: Just realised that to switch between stills and video you need to be able to access the little ring switch around the video start/stop button. This would be a more complicated bit of work I think. The 7D has a couple of slightly awkward switches as far as housings are concerned. This will make the new housings more complicated than the 5D II housings.

Not sure yet if I'll actually make the mods, or wait for the proper housings to come out. Very tempted to get the 7D in the water during a planned Red Sea trip in November....especially as I can use the Tok 10-17 with it.

#71 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

I received my 7d about a week ago and have been playing with it extensively. Absolutely beauty. To me, it has a much better feel to it too than the 5d II.

If all goes well, S&S will hopefully have a prototype housing at DEMA for the 7D!
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#72 Johnsub

Johnsub

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Novice here .

Looking for advise on lense options.

I'm assuming the tokina 10-17 for wide angle. This would leave a macro and perhaps all purpose wide angle zoom. I plan on purchasing the 7D kit which comes with the Ef 28-135IS. Thanks ahead of time for any advise.

#73 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

I received my 7d about a week ago and have been playing with it extensively. Absolutely beauty. To me, it has a much better feel to it too than the 5d II.

If all goes well, S&S will hopefully have a prototype housing at DEMA for the 7D!

Hi Mike,

I'm also having fun with my 7D and looking forward to having it housed. I have a question for you and others here that are in some way connected to the housing manufacturers. Where does the input to house design come from? Engineers talking to a few pro's? Actual time with the camera? Probably both.

Why am I asking? Well, being a mostly cold water diver I hate trying to push small buttons with my cold numb fingers. Most housings have become metal swiss cheese full with potential o-ring leaks and maintenance. Can we come up with something that does not penetrate the housing and allow more ergonomic button activation for real diving conditions? I think I read that Gates is trying magnetic switches or something, but that basic thinking "outside the box" appeals to me.

I know that I'm unreasonably greedy but not different than anybody else. I want it all and I want it reasonably affordable ^_^

Bo

#74 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

Novice here .

Looking for advise on lense options.

I'm assuming the tokina 10-17 for wide angle. This would leave a macro and perhaps all purpose wide angle zoom. I plan on purchasing the 7D kit which comes with the Ef 28-135IS. Thanks ahead of time for any advise.

Hi Johnsub,

I think you hit on the most common lens selection. The Tok1017 may in certain situations be too wide and a fast wide zoom in the 17-55 range may be useful with large marine life that is shy (hammerheads come to my mind here). Fast prime lenses should not be excluded from the list either. I will let others add to the list here.

To give you better advise, please tell us what type of diving you do most and what are you interested in capturing? Are you a cold or warm water diver? Deep tech? Large critter or Macro? Mostly diver shots? Available light photography? If not, what lighting do you have?
Before investing into expensive glass, be realistic to what you will most likely use the most and get showable results with.

Once I had the crazy idea to do extreme macro with my housed 2 1/4 Hassy. So I had extention tubes and custom port extenders, then found it was an impossible mission in local waters due to the micro depth of field and associated focus problems in even the smallest surge. Expensive experiment. Lots of lousy slides (I remember only 1 successful shot), but the housing looked impressive....LOL.

Hope my 2 cents is of any help to you,

Bo

#75 Johnsub

Johnsub

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hi Johnsub,

I think you hit on the most common lens selection. The Tok1017 may in certain situations be too wide and a fast wide zoom in the 17-55 range may be useful with large marine life that is shy (hammerheads come to my mind here). Fast prime lenses should not be excluded from the list either. I will let others add to the list here.

To give you better advise, please tell us what type of diving you do most and what are you interested in capturing? Are you a cold or warm water diver? Deep tech? Large critter or Macro? Mostly diver shots? Available light photography? If not, what lighting do you have?
Before investing into expensive glass, be realistic to what you will most likely use the most and get showable results with.

Once I had the crazy idea to do extreme macro with my housed 2 1/4 Hassy. So I had extention tubes and custom port extenders, then found it was an impossible mission in local waters due to the micro depth of field and associated focus problems in even the smallest surge. Expensive experiment. Lots of lousy slides (I remember only 1 successful shot), but the housing looked impressive....LOL.

Hope my 2 cents is of any help to you,

Bo

Bo,

Mainly warm water . Cozumel, Truk, Red Sea etc. Really want to go after whatever is out there. I've got some exploring to do. I have 3 DS125 strobes and thinking Aquatica or Ikelite for a housing . Best way to sum it up I want to be able to do it all understanding I will evaluate each dive environment and adjust the rig to meet my needs. Thanks for the reply

#76 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

Ikelite out with their 7D housing! http://ikelite.com/web_two/can_7d.html

I like that Ikelite developed their new hybrid 161 strobe for video and stills, but I'm still curious if the flash will come up even just partially and allow some modification for optical connections.

Price looks good.

I'm waiting for now though. Let's see what others come up with.

Bo

#77 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

Thanks Bo! Kudos to Ike for being first again. They have this product development thing figured out. The Hybrid strobe is huge news. Probably deserves it's own thread.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom