Panasonic GF1

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#81 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Whoops - looks like I had it wrong. That's what glance reading will do to you.

It was indeed a G2 and G10, thus replacements for the G1 and GH1 form-factor, not GF1. My source was engadget:

http://www.engadget....ams-in-macro-f/

Sorry about that... :clapping:

Edited by rtrski, 05 March 2010 - 01:05 PM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#82 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

The 7-14mm w/ dome port would be: 7 * 2 * .67 = 9.4mm

No, that isn't correct. The dome retains the in air field of view of the lens, so a 7mm lens on m4/3 in water has the same fov as a 7mm lens on m4/3. The diagonal fov of the 7-14 is 114 degrees, which is a more appropriate measuring stick than a multiplied focal length.

Heinrichs Weikamp also has an electrical lumix TTL converter. S-TTL is accurate enough that I don't feel it necessary to install it, though.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#83 robzr

robzr

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

No, that isn't correct. The dome retains the in air field of view of the lens, so a 7mm lens on m4/3 in water has the same fov as a 7mm lens on m4/3. The diagonal fov of the 7-14 is 114 degrees, which is a more appropriate measuring stick than a multiplied focal length.

Heinrichs Weikamp also has an electrical lumix TTL converter. S-TTL is accurate enough that I don't feel it necessary to install it, though.

OK that makes sense... according to this UWL-100 chart (http://www.camerasun...non/uwl100.html) the coverage of the UWL 67mm screwed onto the 20mm pancake port would be ~85 degrees or ~115 degrees with the Inon dome port - any thoughts on how the quality of that may compare with the 7-14mm + 7-14mm dome port? It would be more modular and you could change all the way to wet mount macro underwater, not to mention save the cost of the dome port......

Rob

#84 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

You would shoot a housed Oly or Panasonic land strobe. Probably not the best idea. I think the Inon would work in manual mode only via an electrical cord, but I've not tried it.

Jack

Doesn't Inon have a housing for the GF-1? I would imagine that would work with Inon's S-TTL system, although I don't know much about the Inon GF-1 housing. It also looks like the 10Bar housing could be used to optically fire strobes with S-TTL, since it has a window by the flash.

#85 crawdad

crawdad

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

OK that makes sense... according to this UWL-100 chart (http://www.camerasun...non/uwl100.html) the coverage of the UWL 67mm screwed onto the 20mm pancake port would be ~85 degrees or ~115 degrees with the Inon dome port - any thoughts on how the quality of that may compare with the 7-14mm + 7-14mm dome port? It would be more modular and you could change all the way to wet mount macro underwater, not to mention save the cost of the dome port......

Rob

I don't think that is correct. The Inon 100WAL with dome is a semi-fisheye lens, the diagonal FOV underwater with the Oly pancake lens, which is a 35mm equivalent, should be around 130 degrees, maybe slightly less, when fitted with the Inon 100WAL with dome. I took my dome equipped 100WAL to a friend who owns an EP-1 with the pancake lens. In fact, I was able to use the camera for an entire day. Holding the Inon lens in place indicates to me that the combination has potential and that a very wide FOV was achieved similar to the lens on my 570 and S90. Now, will it really work, I cannot say, it looked promising if the port is very compact for the fixed focal length pancake lens.

You cannot directly compare a rectilinear lens to a fisheye type, the Inon 100WAL is a fisheye lens, it has barrel distortion and the image wraps back quite a bit in the corners. The focal length calculations will not work with a fisheye lens, review the below site:

http://www.bobatkins...ld_of_view.html
Canon S90, FIX90, dual Inon D2000 strobes, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome, Fisheye UWL-04, DIY tray, adapter

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

http://www.uwphotogr...guide.com/forum

#86 dendronepthya

dendronepthya

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Doesn't Inon have a housing for the GF-1? I would imagine that would work with Inon's S-TTL system, although I don't know much about the Inon GF-1 housing. It also looks like the 10Bar housing could be used to optically fire strobes with S-TTL, since it has a window by the flash.

Yes, the 10bar housing can optically fire. That's how I'm using mine.

#87 Chris Travers

Chris Travers

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

Anyone know where I can find Heinrichs Weikamp?

Chris

#88 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Anyone know where I can find Heinrichs Weikamp?

Chris

Info here:

http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/

You can buy them at reef photo, one of the great service retailers and supporters of this web site.

http://reefphotovideo.com/

Happy reef customer and user of heinrichs optical slave.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#89 Jofish

Jofish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

I have just got the 10bar housing for the GF1. I find it difficult to use the key mode: sometimes it works sometimes it does not. It works sometimes when I press down the key then turn it once fast. Has one of you had the same problem?

#90 Jofish

Jofish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:58 AM

No answer? This problem is really frustrating and I only use one mode underwater for fear I make a wrong mode selection by turning the key (the wheel has a smooth surface and that may be why it is difficult to change the mode : the wheel on the housing does not drive properly/at all the key on the camera). This is worth taking into account if you consider buying a 10bar housing for the GF1.

The zoom wheel I am not using as I only shoot macro in autofocus mode but as the driven wheel also has a smooth surface I suspect it may be difficult to zoom correctly therewith.

If I discover that the Inon has better wheels and more user friendly keys, I will regret my purchase of the 10bar .... Aaaarggghhhh....

#91 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Jofish, not sure if you bought this from me, but if you contact your dealer they should be able to get you another control wheel. They are simple to change out with an allen wrench. You might try wiping both the wheel and the control off with rubbing alcohol, they tend to get oil from your fingers on them and then slip.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#92 fotosub70

fotosub70

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

My first pictures with the GF1, leica 45mm, Seatool housing and two S2000 in sTTL

Jpegs without editing

Regards

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marc Casanovas
www.marccasanovas.net

Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing

Olympus OMD EM5, Nauticam Housing

Sea&Sea D1 strobes
http://www.flickr.co.../marccasanovas/

#93 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

My first pictures with the GF1, leica 45mm, Seatool housing and two S2000 in sTTL

Jpegs without editing

Regards

Marc Casanovas
www.marccasanovas.net

Marc,
You are one stealthy dude. Nice pics and thanks for posting. Do you recall the aperture settings for you shots?
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#94 anferney

anferney

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Newbie to underwater photography

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing Marc! Great pics!

#95 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1236 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:18 PM

Nice! That 45mm Leica looks very sweet indeed.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#96 BrendanS

BrendanS

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yes , thanks for posting Marc !

Very impressive images. and just to clarify you did not use any wetlenses or dioptres ?
I think that is one sweet lens.

#97 fotosub70

fotosub70

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:04 AM

Thank you very much. Sorry for my English :)

Aperture macro 22 and fishes 14-18 and any wetlens used

Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing

Olympus OMD EM5, Nauticam Housing

Sea&Sea D1 strobes
http://www.flickr.co.../marccasanovas/

#98 Jofish

Jofish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Some pictures taken with GF1 in 10bar housing with 45mm macro lens.

Shutter speed 1/125, diaphragm 11 (using preprogrammed C1, C2-1, C2-2 modes).

Picture taken in RAW then developed in jpg using Panasonic supplied software and then compressed with Microsoft Office Picture Manager from ca 4-5MB (jpg) to ca 100kb. Other than that pictures not edited.

The lens is in my opinion very good (may not be apparent in the attached pictures due mainly to bad compression with MOPM.

Unfortunately no possibility with 10bar to manual focus the 45mm macro, which is a pity in some circumstances.

Attached Images

• 892858901_p1020649.jpg
  • 892858973_p1020669.jpg
  • 893155983_p1020634.jpg

#99 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Marc: That octopus eye shot is spectacular, I love the framing.

I wish I had half your photo skills, and more like 4x your approach skills. You must be covered in scales and never breathe or something! :D

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#100 marsbuild

marsbuild

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Pictures look great!
How have you found using the buttons on the 10 bar while diving?
And how do the buttons/controls feel?
I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the Inon housing, but i reckon it will be alot more expensive.
What's your thoughts, since you have used the 10 bar? how would you rate it?
Cheers